Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bosch grinder switch - in its praise

I found a 7" Bosch angle grinder at the dump. Didn't work, but the good
news was that it was totally dead - meaning that a broken switch or wire
could be the problem. Unlike: it runs, but poorly - which means bad
winding or armature.

I took it apart & quickly isolated it to a bad switch. Good! Worse
case is buy a new switch, or jury rig a generic switch into it.

It got better: the switch comes apart! They're usually "welded" together.

Inside there's a bunch of parts. Both sides of the circuit are switched
& each has a spring, contacts, levers & a little shield that swings up
between the contacts to interrupt any arc. Given that it's rated for
13A & DC (universal motor), an arc-interrupter is nice.

Well, the only problem was that a couple of the parts had gotten
rearranged. E.g., one end of a spring had come out of its seat. That's
good, what was bad it that it was not at all obvious what the correct
arrangement is. What with a snap action required via a flat spring
going from convex to concave.

After a few iterations I got it together properly & it works great! I'm
going to pull it all apart for cleaning & a lube. Then I'll have a tool
that I'll probably hardly ever use, but I will have the satisfaction of
resurrecting it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I found a 7" Bosch angle grinder at the dump. Didn't work, but the good
news was that it was totally dead - meaning that a broken switch or wire
could be the problem.

(...)

Excellent!

I found and fixed a similar issue with a Bosch hammer drill.

Two differences, though:

1) The switch itself appeared OK, the problem was a wire that fell
out of a wedge connector in the housing. Pushed the wire back in and
yanked it to seat the wedge. Works again! This is good, because Bosch
would not return my call about warranty status.

2) Rather than finding it for free, I paid $239.06 for it at
Home Depot.

You done good.

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:02:01 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

Bravo! Recycling at its finest!!

Well done Sir..welll done indeed!!

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

I recently acquired a Hilti hammer drill with missing chuck parts, and a chicago
electric sabre saw with a loose blade clamp to work on with similar hopes.
Unless I can find a dead hilti, I might have to spend a few bucks on that one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob,
I have many Bosch power tools, but the power switch IS the number one fault.
Keep spares, you'll need them.
Steve
"