Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Strange locking(??) nut

A friend showed me a weird flanged nut today, still trying to figure out
what it was. Approximately M12 diameter, coarse thread, flanged nut,
think it was used in a Porsche. Starting from the flange side, there
were approximately 5 regular threads, a gap with no threads at all bored
out to the major diameter, and then one complete thread. It looked like
a standard nylon locking nut with the nylon removed and with a thread
instead of the top crimp.

What is it???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RoyJ" wrote in message
m...
A friend showed me a weird flanged nut today, still trying to figure out
what it was. Approximately M12 diameter, coarse thread, flanged nut, think
it was used in a Porsche. Starting from the flange side, there were
approximately 5 regular threads, a gap with no threads at all bored out to
the major diameter, and then one complete thread. It looked like a standard
nylon locking nut with the nylon removed and with a thread instead of the
top crimp.

What is it???

Those used to be common. It's just a self locking nut, it has been squashed
a bit at the gap so that the threads lock better. The Nylock ones are more
common now.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ wrote:
A friend showed me a weird flanged nut today, still trying to figure out
what it was. Approximately M12 diameter, coarse thread, flanged nut,
think it was used in a Porsche. Starting from the flange side, there
were approximately 5 regular threads, a gap with no threads at all bored
out to the major diameter, and then one complete thread. It looked like
a standard nylon locking nut with the nylon removed and with a thread
instead of the top crimp.

What is it???

A high temp lock nut. The Nylocks (tm) tend to melt at high temp.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:
"RoyJ" wrote in message
m...

A friend showed me a weird flanged nut today, still trying to figure out
what it was. Approximately M12 diameter, coarse thread, flanged nut, think
it was used in a Porsche. Starting from the flange side, there were
approximately 5 regular threads, a gap with no threads at all bored out to
the major diameter, and then one complete thread. It looked like a standard
nylon locking nut with the nylon removed and with a thread instead of the
top crimp.

What is it???

Those used to be common. It's just a self locking nut, it has been squashed
a bit at the gap so that the threads lock better. The Nylock ones are more
common now.

Never seen one like that before, but I think Steve is probably right.
The top part will have been plastically distorted a little so that the
threads don't quite match the ones in the main part of the nut. Then
when you wind in the screw, it pushes the threads back towards their
correct position (hopefully elastically). In the process, it creates a
lot of friction. That's the way that the types of all-metal locking nut
I've seen work. The common brands here are Binx, Philidas and Aerotight,
but I'm pretty sure it's not one of those.

How are things looking with those CV joint parts, Roy? I'm still very
happy to mail you the cash for postage.

Best wishes,

Chris