Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Guideway oil guidance please

I'm going to buy some way oil for lathes, mills, shapers, etc.
Mobil Vactra No.2 has been recommended for the lathe, but I've also seen
Vactra No.4 mentioned for this use.
Is there a reason to prefer one over the other? Is the No.4 maybe for
heavy industrial machinery only?

Jordan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 13, 9:50�pm, Jordan wrote:
I'm going to buy some way oil for lathes, mills, shapers, etc.
Mobil Vactra No.2 has been recommended for the lathe, but I've also seen

Jordan

I ordered Way Oil from MacMaster-Carr. 1 gallon bottle. Very pleased
with it.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I ordered Way Oil from MacMaster-Carr. 1 gallon bottle. Very pleased
with it.

Bob AZ

Which one did you buy?

J.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-14, Jordan wrote:
I'm going to buy some way oil for lathes, mills, shapers, etc.
Mobil Vactra No.2 has been recommended for the lathe, but I've also seen
Vactra No.4 mentioned for this use.

Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Yes -- if one is recommended in the machine's manual, it is an
excellent reason to prefer it over the other. I've seen No. 2
recommended for a lot more machines (e.g. what I have, lathes, mills
(both horizontal and vertical), and a 7" shaper) than any other.

Is the No.4 maybe for
heavy industrial machinery only?

No. 4 may be for really high pressure ways, or it may be a
thinner one for high speed ways. I've never seen it, and probably never
will, unless I get a machine which suggests it in the manual.

I would go with the No. 2 unless you actually can find something
in the manual suggesting the No. 4.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 04:50:55 GMT, Jordan wrote:

I'm going to buy some way oil for lathes, mills, shapers, etc.
Mobil Vactra No.2 has been recommended for the lathe, but I've also seen
Vactra No.4 mentioned for this use.
Is there a reason to prefer one over the other? Is the No.4 maybe for
heavy industrial machinery only?

Jordan

Vactra 2 or Vacuoline 1405 with 68cSt viscosity would normally be used on
horizontal ways.

Vactra 4 or Vacuoline 1409 with 220 cSt viscosity would normally be used on
vertical ways.

Basically, if No2 runs off, use No4.

HTH
Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 04:50:55 GMT, Jordan wrote:

I'm going to buy some way oil for lathes, mills, shapers, etc.
Mobil Vactra No.2 has been recommended for the lathe, but I've also seen
Vactra No.4 mentioned for this use.
Is there a reason to prefer one over the other? Is the No.4 maybe for
heavy industrial machinery only?

Jordan

Vactra 2 or Vacuoline 1405 with 68cSt viscosity would normally be used on
horizontal ways.

Vactra 4 or Vacuoline 1409 with 220 cSt viscosity would normally be used on
vertical ways.

Basically, if No2 runs off, use No4.

HTH
Mark Rand
RTFM

OK, looks like No.2 gets the vote.
FWIW, I've been told that it's the usual grade for use with machinery
that have oil circulation pumps, No.4 being to viscous for pumping. But
for manual oiling, the thicker one is considered OK. Notwithstanding,
I'll go with No.2, not least because it's the lathe that gets the most
use, and its manual says to use that one.

Thanks guys.

Jordan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 13, 10:53�pm, Jordan wrote:
I ordered Way Oil from MacMaster-Carr. 1 gallon bottle. Very pleased
with it.

Bob �AZ

Which one did you buy?

J.

Jordan

McMaster-Carr number 1017K11.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

McMaster-Carr number 1017K11.

Bob AZ

That's the equivalent to Vactra No.2

Thanks Bob!

Jordan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--As long as it's a manual machine the heavier the oil the better.
Don't get anything heavier than 'medium' for a cnc machine; sometimes
they'll lose steps if the oil is too heavy and the machine's too wimpy.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Currently broke and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : looking for a job...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--As long as it's a manual machine the heavier the oil the better.
Don't get anything heavier than 'medium' for a cnc machine

That's what I've heard.
Good luck with your job hunting.

Jordan