Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Guideway oil guidance please

On 2009-12-14, Jordan wrote:
I'm going to buy some way oil for lathes, mills, shapers, etc.
Mobil Vactra No.2 has been recommended for the lathe, but I've also seen
Vactra No.4 mentioned for this use.

Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Yes -- if one is recommended in the machine's manual, it is an
excellent reason to prefer it over the other. I've seen No. 2
recommended for a lot more machines (e.g. what I have, lathes, mills
(both horizontal and vertical), and a 7" shaper) than any other.

Is the No.4 maybe for
heavy industrial machinery only?

No. 4 may be for really high pressure ways, or it may be a
thinner one for high speed ways. I've never seen it, and probably never
will, unless I get a machine which suggests it in the manual.

I would go with the No. 2 unless you actually can find something
in the manual suggesting the No. 4.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564