Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spur gear YouTube

I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

I watched this a couple years ago. Been more than once I tried to justify making a gear
but was always able to find a stock gear I could rework to fix a broken machine.

I'm going to make a couple gears some time real soon just to be able to say I did it.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I haven't made a gear like that in years. The comment about "no
distractions" was right on. The first and second tries at making the
gear wound up in the scrap barrel. 3rd try looked more like a military
aircraft checklist!

Winston wrote:
I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Winston wrote:

I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

I watched this a couple years ago. Been more than once I tried to justify making a gear
but was always able to find a stock gear I could rework to fix a broken machine.

I'm going to make a couple gears some time real soon just to be able to say I did it.

I want to do that, for the same reason.

Let's see; I could connect my NC rotary table as a fourth axis...
This could be easier than using a dividing head.

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

--Winston

The labor time required - amazing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
Winston wrote:
I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

--Winston

The labor time required - amazing.

Grainger catalog:

Item # 1L994
Spur Gear, 6 Pitch, Pitch Dia 5.000 In, Face Width 1.500 In,
Number of Teeth 30, Bore Dia 1.125 In, Outside Dia 5.333 In,
Overall Length 2.380 In

One Hundred Thirty $mackers.

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

--Winston

--

Nothing new there for me, but I used to routinely cut clock wheels, and
pinions.

Steve R.
Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of
the Year!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Winston wrote:
I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

--Winston

The labor time required - amazing.

It takes less time than you may think. I timed myself making a 144 tooth
great wheel for a clock once. Fifteen minutes to cut the teeth with a home
made cycloidal cutter. Two hours to cross it out (make spokes), debur and
polish. The dividing head was home made.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:03:17 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

So, what tidbit did you learn from that video, Winnie?

Man, who was the _dynamic_ narrator? thud

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

I want to do that, for the same reason.

Let's see; I could connect my NC rotary table as a fourth axis...
This could be easier than using a dividing head.

I wouldn't feel any shame doing it that way if I could.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:03:17 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

So, what tidbit did you learn from that video, Winnie?

Sector arms.
I'd seen them on dividing heads before but never knew their
purpose. Kewl.

And mostly just seeing the tools assembled and in use to
create the gear. One picture being worth a thousand words
and all that. Edifying while entertaining.

Man, who was the _dynamic_ narrator? thud

Hey I understood everything he said!

I took a computer architecture course at DEC many years ago.
Our instructor had an almost opaque accent and would sneeze
occasionally. It took me a couple hours to figure out that
he wasn't sneezing, he was attempting to say 'Master Sync,
Slave Sync'!

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think that it is a beautiful video. I also loved the music. Sounds
lie it is from old silent movies, Would anyone know what is the music.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For gears and many other interesting ideas, see if you can find the
locations of John Stevenson's shop methods.

A few (or more) years ago, he built a gear cutting machine using
synchronized steppers and a worm gear box instead of a dividing head.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Winston" wrote in message
I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of
the Year!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20864 wrote:
I think that it is a beautiful video. I also loved the music. Sounds
lie it is from old silent movies, Would anyone know what is the music.

I can't name it but it falls into the category of music called
'Honky Tonk' or 'Boogie Woogie'.
Prolly a rag of some sort.

Very nice!

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Ignoramus20864 wrote:
I think that it is a beautiful video. I also loved the music. Sounds
lie it is from old silent movies, Would anyone know what is the music.

I can't name it but it falls into the category of music called
'Honky Tonk' or 'Boogie Woogie'.
Prolly a rag of some sort.

Very nice!

--Winston

Bumble bee boogie,

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4q4-qxtOE

technomaNge

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge wrote:
Winston wrote:
Ignoramus20864 wrote:
I think that it is a beautiful video. I also loved the music. Sounds
lie it is from old silent movies, Would anyone know what is the music.

I can't name it but it falls into the category of music called
'Honky Tonk' or 'Boogie Woogie'.
Prolly a rag of some sort.

Very nice!

--Winston

Bumble bee boogie,

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4q4-qxtOE

YES! Thanks. --Winston
--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:31:47 -0800, Winston wrote:

technomaNge wrote:
Winston wrote:
Ignoramus20864 wrote:
I think that it is a beautiful video. I also loved the music. Sounds
lie it is from old silent movies, Would anyone know what is the music.

I can't name it but it falls into the category of music called
'Honky Tonk' or 'Boogie Woogie'.
Prolly a rag of some sort.

Very nice!

--Winston

Bumble bee boogie,

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4q4-qxtOE

YES! Thanks. --Winston

I think I prefer Winifred Atwell's rendition :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:31:47 -0800, Winston wrote:

technomaNge wrote:

(...)

Bumble bee boogie,

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4q4-qxtOE

YES! Thanks. --Winston

I think I prefer Winifred Atwell's rendition :-)

I couldn't listen to the YouTube version because it was very poorly
recorded. Atwell appears to be a genius, though. Made it look trivial.

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!

Machining a spur gear chips-'n-swarf Metalworking 5 October 2nd 07 06:33 PM
spur gear gage Bill Marrs Metalworking 2 May 22nd 06 11:02 PM
Spur off a spur - making it safe? Grant UK diy 7 September 15th 05 06:56 PM
Spur + spur from ring? T i m UK diy 3 August 28th 05 10:53 AM
Torsional deflection in spur gear pinion? Clark Magnuson Metalworking 5 February 20th 05 04:34 PM