Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PEX or PVC

I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:50:28 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?

Why not plain old black polyethylene? I wouldn't even consider PVC.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

wrote:

I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?

Why not plain old black polyethylene? I wouldn't even consider PVC.

--
Ned Simmons

My vote too. Use good metal(brass) bits on the ends (unions, pipe
adapter, etc), not plastic.

JW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?

Why not plain old black polyethylene? I wouldn't even consider PVC.

--
Ned Simmons

My vote too. *Use good metal(brass) bits on the ends (unions, pipe
adapter, etc), not plastic.

JW

WHy not pvc? Is polyethelene allowed for water use and burried? Can it
be attached to a pvc stub?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?

I would use PVC. And there are glues for wet weather. That said, they
ran polyethylene from the curb to the house. And has lasted 35 years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

Why not plain old black polyethylene? I wouldn't even consider PVC.

I've been getting my water from black polyethylene for 22 years in good old near Lat 45
michigan w/o problems.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

NSF rated poly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are two grades of poly: a thinner wall version for irrigation
systems and a heavier wall version that is NSF rated for drinking water.
Both versions have some resilience that handles frost heaves, settling,
and maybe a touch of freezing much better than PVC.

wrote:
I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?
Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?
Why not plain old black polyethylene? I wouldn't even consider PVC.
--
Ned Simmons

My vote too. Use good metal(brass) bits on the ends (unions, pipe
adapter, etc), not plastic.

JW

WHy not pvc? Is polyethelene allowed for water use and burried? Can it
be attached to a pvc stub?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 8, 11:50�am, stryped wrote:
I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?

Stryped

Just another thought. Most of the PVC and the like piping can be
obtained in very long lengths. Like 500' or so. This would be a coil
of course. Plan your bends in advance so no els or sweeps are needed.
And when you do go vertical be sure to use sweeps. Your water utility
might be able to provide some guidance.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:
I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?

Stryped

Found a site that will probably answer lots of your concerns.

www.flexpvc.com

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:50:28 -0800 (PST), stryped wrote:

I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a
few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does
that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?

PEX.

I just replaced a 130' run of PVC that leaked like a sieve with PEX.
Use 1 inch or smaller PEX and you can use Sharkbite fittings. It bends
around reasonably large radius turns - say 18" for 1" tube, so you
can probably get away without 'L's. Careful use of a heat source
might let you do a tighter bend.

PEX is easy to work with, can freeze without splitting (though the metal
fittings can fail if frozen) and should last a lot longer than you. The
cost is about $1.25 per foot if you buy a 300' roll.

The line I replaced was 1-1/4', so I ran a double line of 1" PEX to
get roughly the same capacity. Going to a larger size would have
meant buying a $2K crimping tool.

For the Sharkbite fittings, I was anal retentive about getting square
cuts, chamfering the inside and outside of the cut end, and making
sure that the tubing was completely seated. It's been about 9
months and no problems so far.

I got my supplies at http://www.pexsupply.com/ and had a good experience.

Bob S