Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My stupid question of the month coupon

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:34:52 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Steve

Did you go to "Control Panel", "Mouse", click the "Pointers" tab and
chose the one you want then click "Apply"? This assumes, of course,
that you are using Windows XP or something like it. That SHOULD
correct the problem. Good luck.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Not sure what version you are on. Try control panel, mouse, pointer tab, press use
defaults button at bottom, apply.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Not sure what version you are on. Try control panel, mouse, pointer tab,
press use
defaults button at bottom, apply.

Wes

No default tab. I did a system restore, and it got rid of it. It also got
rid of $85,000 I won in funny money on 888poker.net, so I undid restore.
I'll stumble on it, or ask my computer geek next time I see him. It's just
aggravating.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Not sure what version you are on. Try control panel, mouse, pointer tab,
press use
defaults button at bottom, apply.

Wes

My cursor looks like a dog tick, Wes, and it moves around by itself. What
should I do?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something.
Now instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block
about 3/16" square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into
help index, but can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Not sure what version you are on. Try control panel, mouse, pointer
tab, press use
defaults button at bottom, apply.

Wes

My cursor looks like a dog tick, Wes, and it moves around by itself.
What should I do?

Start by draping a flea & tick collar over the monitor?

There used to be a Windows 3.1 program called "Roaches". It ran in the
background, and occasionally, a litttle bug would run from behind one
window to another. If you closed a window, all the bugs hiding behind it
would scatter.

Life was a lot simpler then...

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You want to know why you lost your testimony of the
restoration?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:34:52 -0800, "Steve B"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

My cursor looks like a dog tick, Wes, and it moves around by itself.
What should I do?

Start by draping a flea & tick collar over the monitor?

There used to be a Windows 3.1 program called "Roaches". It ran in the
background, and occasionally, a litttle bug would run from behind one
window to another. If you closed a window, all the bugs hiding behind it
would scatter.

Life was a lot simpler then...

I can't top that, sorry Ed.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something.
Now instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block
about 3/16" square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into
help index, but can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Not sure what version you are on. Try control panel, mouse, pointer
tab, press use
defaults button at bottom, apply.

Wes

My cursor looks like a dog tick, Wes, and it moves around by itself.
What should I do?

Start by draping a flea & tick collar over the monitor?

'Tried that. I've opened up the box and sprayed it with Raid. I'm hoping
that will do it.

There used to be a Windows 3.1 program called "Roaches". It ran in the
background, and occasionally, a litttle bug would run from behind one
window to another. If you closed a window, all the bugs hiding behind it
would scatter.

Life was a lot simpler then...

My boss had that. He used to call me into his office to help him "fix" it.
He was brilliant, but strange.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Doug White wrote:

My cursor looks like a dog tick, Wes, and it moves around by itself.
What should I do?

Start by draping a flea & tick collar over the monitor?

There used to be a Windows 3.1 program called "Roaches". It ran in the
background, and occasionally, a litttle bug would run from behind one
window to another. If you closed a window, all the bugs hiding behind it
would scatter.

Life was a lot simpler then...

I can't top that, sorry Ed.

Wes

I miss those simple pleasures. I had a cricket I made in Logo with my son.
He was a little klutzy, but we could keep him moving around the screen.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:49:52 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Not sure what version you are on. Try control panel, mouse, pointer tab,
press use
defaults button at bottom, apply.

Wes

My cursor looks like a dog tick, Wes, and it moves around by itself. What
should I do?

DDT should do it :-)

Regards,

J.B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Steve B fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:34:52 -0800:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

try the insert key.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Wasn't there an extermination company that got into trouble for showing a
big life like roach walking across a screen with a good looking head and
shoulders shot of a woman in the background? It really looked real, I
almost hit my TV screen with the guacamole dip and dish I had in my hand.
There were lots of complaints, IIRC.

Damn fine ad. Maybe too good, if that's possible.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:

try the insert key.

Seconded, turn off the insert key.

technomaNge
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"technomaNge" wrote in message
dan wrote:

try the insert key.

Seconded, turn off the insert key.

technomaNge
--

Found the Ins key on the zero key. Tried alt Ins and Ctrl Ins, but no go.
How do I turn it off? Hit Num Lock, then Ins, but still no go.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:

try the insert key.

Seconded, turn off the insert key.

technomaNge
--

Found the Ins key on the zero key. Tried alt Ins and Ctrl Ins, but no go.
How do I turn it off? Hit Num Lock, then Ins, but still no go.

Steve

By any chance, do you have "active cursors" turned on?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

Not sure what version you are on. Try control panel, mouse, pointer tab,
press use
defaults button at bottom, apply.

Wes

My cursor looks like a dog tick, Wes, and it moves around by itself. What
should I do?

Back in the early daze of W95 I had the resident IT (Junior) design
the regular arrow, only with a bit of lint hanging from the point.
Anyone new came around, I would complain that I was getting tired of
people leaving Belly Button Lint in my monitor!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Ha-ha! That was a good one. Ah, how easy it was to have fun in those
innocent days.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:

try the insert key.

Seconded, turn off the insert key.

technomaNge
--

Found the Ins key on the zero key. Tried alt Ins and Ctrl Ins, but no go.
How do I turn it off? Hit Num Lock, then Ins, but still no go.

Steve

The insert key toggles, push on, push off. Watch the screen wide
angle, look for change while you toggle. Depends on the app.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
dan wrote:

try the insert key.

Seconded, turn off the insert key.

technomaNge
--

Found the Ins key on the zero key. Tried alt Ins and Ctrl Ins, but no
go. How do I turn it off? Hit Num Lock, then Ins, but still no go.

Steve

By any chance, do you have "active cursors" turned on?

Browsed in control panel. Where might I find that?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 08:34:52 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

I was futzing with my computer the other day, and reset something. Now
instead of a vertical line for a cursor, I have a black block about 3/16"
square. I've roamed control panel, and inputted it into help index, but
can't get the frickin thing back to square one.

Can anyone help?

OK, so you looked in the mouse section of the control panel and
couldn't find it. What brand of mouse do you use? Look in the
Programs section for any software by that company and open it up. It
is probably a separate mouse control program which you turned off.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 22:38:20 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

dan wrote:

try the insert key.

Seconded, turn off the insert key.

technomaNge
--

Found the Ins key on the zero key. Tried alt Ins and Ctrl Ins, but no go.
How do I turn it off? Hit Num Lock, then Ins, but still no go.

What text editor were you in when your mouse went funky? Go back and
open that up to see if the Ins key works then.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

What text editor were you in when your mouse went funky? Go back and
open that up to see if the Ins key works then.

I called my computer pro yesterday about an unrelated issue. He said he had
two do the same thing, and he was still trying to figure it out, but in the
meantime, just living with it. At least it's not the INS thing that
pac-mans and eats the next letter. When I was new to computers, I had a
hell of a time having that on for a week or so until I hit the key again
accidentally and turned it off, then figured it out.

Steve