Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free lathe if you pick up

I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away. It's late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted bearings. We
used it for rough work and grinding. It won't make watch parts very well
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. Gunner...come get it!

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:37:39 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

A pre-gloat!

You rotter, I hate you ;-)

regards
Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away. It's late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted bearings. We
used it for rough work and grinding. It won't make watch parts very well
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. Gunner...come get it!

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

lucky you!

You might post a location.

Texas, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 23, 5:37*pm, "Buerste" wrote:

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

Which one?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:37:39 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away. It's late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted bearings. We
used it for rough work and grinding. It won't make watch parts very well
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. Gunner...come get it!

Hey, fly me out there. I'll drive it home.

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

You'll suck!
You'll suck!
You'll suck!

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:22:38 -0600, the infamous RBnDFW
scrawled the following:

Buerste wrote:
I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away. It's late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted bearings. We
used it for rough work and grinding. It won't make watch parts very well
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. Gunner...come get it!

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

lucky you!

You might post a location.

Texas, right?

Right. Tawm runs Ohio Brush from Zinzinnati, Texicus, or thereabouts.

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:37:39 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away. It's late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted bearings. We
used it for rough work and grinding. It won't make watch parts very well
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. Gunner...come get it!

I wish I could. The exs car is on the fritz and I have a half tank of
gas in the truck

Shrug

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:06:00 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:37:39 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away. It's late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted bearings. We
used it for rough work and grinding. It won't make watch parts very well
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. Gunner...come get it!

I wish I could. The exs car is on the fritz and I have a half tank of
gas in the truck

Shrug

Gunner, I'd offer to drive, but... You do the math.

Doesn't even pencil out if you took your truck - even if you could
carry a ton plus of cast iron cross country, which a Ranger can't.
Hell, I might have to add air springs or overloads.

Google maps wants me to go to your house, then backtrack all the way
back down I-5 and take the 210 to the I-15 - No way! Go straight
across Taft Highway to US-99 to the CA-58, to I-15 in Barstow.

Once I fixed that stupidity, I-15 to I-70, I-76, I-80 all the way
across. A bit too far North for my tastes at this time of year, two
pairs of tire chains for a 1-Ton (245/75/16-E) will not be cheap.
(Forward motion is nice, but I like steering control too.)

Bruce's front door to Gunner's - 117 miles, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. That,
we could do without breaking the bank or our backs.

Gunner's to Tawm's shop - 2,398 miles, 38 hours driving. 2 days of
shift-driving it flat out, stop for gas and heartburn only. Three
days if we stop and sleep, 4 days if we want to actually enjoy the
trip. Each way.

I get 11 MPG combined - 14 tops on the freeway feather-footing it.
Utility beds with a ladder rack have the aerodynamics of a brick.

2,515 miles from Lost Angels to Graft to Sin-cinatti and 2,515 back -
5,030 miles total. Good news, the Cruise and the Air both work...

275 miles safely on a fill, 300 pushing it, that's 28 gas stops. 420
gallons of gas round trip figuring 12 MPG, at an average of $3 a
gallon = $1,260 just for the gas, best case.

7 or 8 days worth of food, tolls, motels, tickets, bribes in lieu of
tickets, chains, a whole week blown staring at a windshield...

And I think it's due for a water pump or alternator or an idler, a
bearing is getting loose somewhere. The serpentine belt tensioner
pulley jumps in and out 1/8", just enough to notice...

How much is that lathe *really* worth?

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

yes yes ...but Bruce..its a 19th Century lathe with babbit bearings!!
Think of its history, its blind devotion to keeping the world free
from rust and Communists! The veritible image of hard work and
dedication to the job at hand! It should be used as a model for every
snot nosed little rug rat to explore, to learn about, to understand!
Fresh paint, some work with scotchbrights and steel wool...a veritble
Lady Liberty of the greatest industry the world has ever seen!! A hole
punch of no other kind on the planet! A hard working hard core old
bitch of the old school, never late to work, never sick, never too
tired, only desiring to be lubed and put to work keeping America
Free!!

Damit Bruce!!!!...you have no heart, no imagination...no..no..no
Style!

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Damn, gunner, I'm gonna need a Kleenex now
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 03:25:15 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

yes yes ...but Bruce..its a 19th Century lathe with babbit bearings!!
Think of its history, its blind devotion to keeping the world free
from rust and Communists! The veritible image of hard work and
dedication to the job at hand! It should be used as a model for every
snot nosed little rug rat to explore, to learn about, to understand!
Fresh paint, some work with scotchbrights and steel wool...a veritble
Lady Liberty of the greatest industry the world has ever seen!! A hole
punch of no other kind on the planet! A hard working hard core old
bitch of the old school, never late to work, never sick, never too
tired, only desiring to be lubed and put to work keeping America
Free!!

Damit Bruce!!!!...you have no heart, no imagination...no..no..no
Style!

Gunner

It's too late! With a sales spiel like that, you've priced us all out of the
market. All Tom needs now is a can of grey paint and Ebay :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 23, 5:37*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away. *It's late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted *bearings. *We
used it for rough work and grinding. *It won't make watch parts very well
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. *Gunner...come get it!

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

I'm only about 350 miles, but my trailer maxes out at about 1000lbs,
good thing too.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

XR650L_Dave wrote in
:

On Nov 23, 5:37*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away.
*It's

late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted *bearings.

*We
used it for rough work and grinding. *It won't make watch parts very
we

ll
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. *Gunner...come get it!

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

I'm only about 350 miles, but my trailer maxes out at about 1000lbs,
good thing too.

Dave

U-Haul will rent you a truck that'd carry it... grin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:37:39 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away. It's late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted bearings. We
used it for rough work and grinding. It won't make watch parts very well
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. Gunner...come get it!

I wish I could. The exs car is on the fritz and I have a half tank of
gas in the truck

Shrug

Gunner, I'd offer to drive, but... You do the math.

Huge Snip
[...]

Oh, I have a heart and imagination, and I certainly have had my
moments in the Style category... But I don't have a lot of work at
the moment either. Your idea, so you'd have to bankroll the bulk of
any acquisition excursion.

If you have a job for that lathe, or a museum that wants to buy it and
put it on display, and can get it shipped for less than the cost of
the gas and incidentals to go pick it up and haul it home, go for it.

It's just WAY beyond practical to "go get it" cross country. Which is
a shame, because there's probably lots of intersting stuff along the
way. We could take Route 66 back... Damn you, no money!

Get Tawm to crate it up and shove it in the back of the shop, and see
if you can get fortuousity to happen - when the LTL freight broker
calls and has 10' open on a flatbed trailer headed this way, and he's
willing to let you have it cheap.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Where's Honest Al Babin when we need him?

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Considering the vintage you might want to give it to a historical
society or museum; you might even get a tax write-off.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Currently broke and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : looking for a job...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Considering the vintage you might want to give it to a historical
society or museum; you might even get a tax write-off.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Currently broke and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : looking for a job...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Above it is the overhead shafting and stuff that used to run it before it
got religion with the Reeves drive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 10:40*am, "RAM³" wrote:
XR650L_Dave wrote :

On Nov 23, 5:37*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away.
*It's

*late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted *bearings..

*We
used it for rough work and grinding. *It won't make watch parts very
we

ll
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. *Gunner...come get it!

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

I'm only about 350 miles, but my trailer maxes out at about 1000lbs,
good thing too.

Dave

U-Haul will rent you a truck that'd carry it... grin

it's a good thing I'm not already set up for 3-phase...

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is nightmare level stuff. Congrats on getting rid of it, Tom and
on getting a new lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I know.....Ive got 3 lathes for sale, including 2 OmniTurn CNCs..both
in good operating shape..and I cant sell either of them either. And I
just brought home an absolutely georgious Lancer lathe.

Guy owned it..wanted to tune it up, disassmbled it totally..reground
everything, then died.

Its been in his buddies shop for at least 10 yrs that I know of..and
he is shutting down and moving to Idaho. So is cleaning out his very
complete machine shop.

Ive got to go over soon and pick up the Hobart gasoline powered welder
that came off a Liberty Ship....blink blink..but need to get some
tires for it first. Has a really cool Brass radiator cover that
proudly proclaims Hobart Brothers. He claims it runs and well..but
hasnt been run in about 10 yrs..came off his ranch.

And Ive not had any..any work for 2 weeks. Being self employed in
California in the machine business...really really sucks.

Ive got scads of Stuff, very good Stuff...that simply wont sell.
Everyone Ive presented it to..gulps, grimaces, checks their wallets
and then gets a very long face and turns down the sale.

Idaho is starting to sound better and better every day.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
And Ive not had any..any work for 2 weeks. Being self employed in
California in the machine business...really really sucks.

Ive got scads of Stuff, very good Stuff...that simply wont sell.
Everyone Ive presented it to..gulps, grimaces, checks their wallets
and then gets a very long face and turns down the sale.

Try lowering the asking prices and everything will sell very quickly.

Idaho is starting to sound better and better every day.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:23:47 -0800 (PST), XR650L_Dave
wrote:

On Nov 24, 10:40*am, "RAM³" wrote:
XR650L_Dave wrote :

On Nov 23, 5:37*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I'm removing an old lathe and before I scrap it I'd give it away.
*It's
*late
19th century, has a Reeves three phase drive and babbitted *bearings.
*We
used it for rough work and grinding. *It won't make watch parts very
we
ll
but it'll bore a 4" hole in D-2. *Gunner...come get it!

I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!
I get to buy a new lathe!

I'm only about 350 miles, but my trailer maxes out at about 1000lbs,
good thing too.

Dave

U-Haul will rent you a truck that'd carry it... grin

it's a good thing I'm not already set up for 3-phase...

Dave

Hell.thats easy and nearly free to set up 3ph using a doit yourself
converter.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:40:01 -0600, Ignoramus30106

On 2009-11-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
And Ive not had any..any work for 2 weeks. Being self employed in
California in the machine business...really really sucks.

Ive got scads of Stuff, very good Stuff...that simply wont sell.
Everyone Ive presented it to..gulps, grimaces, checks their wallets
and then gets a very long face and turns down the sale.

Try lowering the asking prices and everything will sell very quickly.

When I put in OBO and mentions Im not firm on the price..and no one
responds....shrug

Now Im sure I could sell an OmniTurn for $100. Or even $1000...but it
would be criminally stupid to do so.

Gunner

Idaho is starting to sound better and better every day.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
And Ive not had any..any work for 2 weeks. Being self employed in
California in the machine business...really really sucks.

Ive got scads of Stuff, very good Stuff...that simply wont sell.
Everyone Ive presented it to..gulps, grimaces, checks their wallets
and then gets a very long face and turns down the sale.

Try lowering the asking prices and everything will sell very quickly.

When I put in OBO and mentions Im not firm on the price..and no one
responds....shrug

Now Im sure I could sell an OmniTurn for $100. Or even $1000...but it
would be criminally stupid to do so.

You can sell the OmniTurn for $4,000, and it would be criminally
stupid not to do so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
And Ive not had any..any work for 2 weeks. Being self employed in
California in the machine business...really really sucks.

Ive got scads of Stuff, very good Stuff...that simply wont sell.
Everyone Ive presented it to..gulps, grimaces, checks their wallets
and then gets a very long face and turns down the sale.

Try lowering the asking prices and everything will sell very quickly.

When I put in OBO and mentions Im not firm on the price..and no one
responds....shrug

Now Im sure I could sell an OmniTurn for $100. Or even $1000...but it
would be criminally stupid to do so.

You can sell the OmniTurn for $4,000, and it would be criminally
stupid not to do so.

Is that an offer?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
And Ive not had any..any work for 2 weeks. Being self employed in
California in the machine business...really really sucks.

Ive got scads of Stuff, very good Stuff...that simply wont sell.
Everyone Ive presented it to..gulps, grimaces, checks their wallets
and then gets a very long face and turns down the sale.

Try lowering the asking prices and everything will sell very quickly.

When I put in OBO and mentions Im not firm on the price..and no one
responds....shrug

You have two problems. 1. Your prices are too high 2. You already
posted that your creditors couldn't lay claims to any of your
machinery because you had a bill of sale to prove that you'd sold
everything to your father 2 years ago. Now it's for sale again?
Please. Who'd want to be involved in your soap opera?

Now Im sure I could sell an OmniTurn for $100. Or even $1000...but it
would be criminally stupid to do so.

Anybody who's read this newsgroup, and buys stuff off you anyway,
risks being accused of bankruptcy fraud.

Idaho is starting to sound better and better every day.

Not to Idaho it isn't!

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
And Ive not had any..any work for 2 weeks. Being self employed in
California in the machine business...really really sucks.

Ive got scads of Stuff, very good Stuff...that simply wont sell.
Everyone Ive presented it to..gulps, grimaces, checks their wallets
and then gets a very long face and turns down the sale.

Try lowering the asking prices and everything will sell very quickly.

When I put in OBO and mentions Im not firm on the price..and no one
responds....shrug

Now Im sure I could sell an OmniTurn for $100. Or even $1000...but it
would be criminally stupid to do so.

You can sell the OmniTurn for $4,000, and it would be criminally
stupid not to do so.

Is that an offer?

(Hey, it sure sounded like an offer to me!)

Thank you, Sir! Will that be Cash or Check?

(Psst! Gunner! Remeber that 'pencil it out' comment? "Here, hold my
Diet Dr. Pepper and Watch This...")

And don't forget, Super Special Delivery is available, transported
cross country with the greatest of care in a dedicated fully-stocked
service truck, and setup in your shop by a Factory Trained OmniTurn
Technician and his Able Assistant who is a Journeyman Electrician...

Okay, let's knock this crap off berfore they have to chisel the fake
Sincere Smile off my face. It hurts grinning that wide.

Iggy, there's a huge difference between what it's worth and what you
can get in cold cash right now. At a reasonable sales price, all you
are going to draw is a bunch of tire-kickers looking to gauge how
desperate you are before they bring out the lowball offer.

Even if it's pristine, fully tooled and priced below cost to move...
Yeah? So are the other 1,000 units just like it sitting idle in
various machine shops around the country. Nobody has work. But if
you sell off all your tools (for cheap or for scrap) you don't have a
machine shop anymore, you have a vacant industrial unit...

And when you have to go back out and buy again, you have to pay a
lot more, plus interest. Buy High Sell Low doesn't work for long.

It's truly a vicious circle, and until we drive the Dems out of
Washington (by force if necessary) who are spending "Other Peoples'
Money" and speeding us to national bankruptcy as fast as they possibly
can, and get back to the Business Of Fixing and Growing The Economy, I
don't see an end in sight.

Dairy Farmers. They can't sell the milk and butter at any price,
because the market is saturated - nobody is eating. But the farmer
still has to buy feed for the cow and themselves, and some are
desperate enough to sell the Cow to the Butcher to keep alive. Problem
is, once you've gotten desperate enough to sell the cow you can
produce no more milk and butter to sell.

You are effectively out of the dairy business unless you can get
credit (HA!) to buy another cow when the economy picks up.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-25, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
(Hey, it sure sounded like an offer to me!)

Thank you, Sir! Will that be Cash or Check?

(Psst! Gunner! Remeber that 'pencil it out' comment? "Here, hold my
Diet Dr. Pepper and Watch This...")

And don't forget, Super Special Delivery is available, transported
cross country with the greatest of care in a dedicated fully-stocked
service truck, and setup in your shop by a Factory Trained OmniTurn
Technician and his Able Assistant who is a Journeyman Electrician...

Okay, let's knock this crap off berfore they have to chisel the fake
Sincere Smile off my face. It hurts grinning that wide.

Iggy, there's a huge difference between what it's worth and what you
can get in cold cash right now. At a reasonable sales price, all you
are going to draw is a bunch of tire-kickers looking to gauge how
desperate you are before they bring out the lowball offer.

When Gunner mentioned them the first time, I looked on ebay and found
a few Omniturns sold for $5-6k.

Hence, selling one for $4k should be straightforward, hence my
suggestion of $4k.

Even if it's pristine, fully tooled and priced below cost to move...
Yeah? So are the other 1,000 units just like it sitting idle in
various machine shops around the country. Nobody has work. But if
you sell off all your tools (for cheap or for scrap) you don't have a
machine shop anymore, you have a vacant industrial unit...

This would not be Gunner's last lathe.

And when you have to go back out and buy again, you have to pay a
lot more, plus interest. Buy High Sell Low doesn't work for long.

If I remember right, Gunner got them for free. I hope that I am not
wrong. Getting stuff for free and selling for low prices is a good
business.

It's truly a vicious circle, and until we drive the Dems out of
Washington (by force if necessary) who are spending "Other Peoples'
Money" and speeding us to national bankruptcy as fast as they possibly
can, and get back to the Business Of Fixing and Growing The Economy, I
don't see an end in sight.

Dairy Farmers. They can't sell the milk and butter at any price,
because the market is saturated - nobody is eating. But the farmer
still has to buy feed for the cow and themselves, and some are
desperate enough to sell the Cow to the Butcher to keep alive.

OK, I did not know that butchers keep cows alive.

Problem is, once you've gotten desperate enough to sell the cow you
can produce no more milk and butter to sell.

You are effectively out of the dairy business unless you can get
credit (HA!) to buy another cow when the economy picks up.

While this is true, in reality, used equipment market is now
thriving, at prices that are 60% of what prevailed 2 years ago.