Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wilton vise screw broken, new part source?

The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4 ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-23, Buerste wrote:
The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4 ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

Wilton will likely have them for a reasonable price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4 ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

You didn't mention the pitch but Mcmasters sells acme threaded rod. Add a bit of
machining and some silver braze and you have a new screw.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote:

The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4 ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I
just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

You didn't mention the pitch but Mcmasters sells acme threaded rod. Add a
bit of
machining and some silver braze and you have a new screw.

Wes

I know...BUT, if we're making a part we can buy, we're not making parts we
need that we can't buy. The days of making stuff we can buy are gone. Sad
but true. I'll buy a new vise without a second thought and pitch this one
in the scrap steel dumpster.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Wes wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4 ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

You didn't mention the pitch but Mcmasters sells acme threaded rod. Add a
bit of
machining and some silver braze and you have a new screw.

Wes

I think Wes is right...

Did I hear that $nap-On bought Wilton a while back?

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Buerste wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote:

The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4 ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I
just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

You didn't mention the pitch but Mcmasters sells acme threaded rod. Add a
bit of
machining and some silver braze and you have a new screw.

Wes

I know...BUT, if we're making a part we can buy, we're not making parts we
need that we can't buy. The days of making stuff we can buy are gone. Sad
but true. I'll buy a new vise without a second thought and pitch this one
in the scrap steel dumpster.

just buiy a mew scxrew from wilton

** Sent from my Google phone ** I apologize for any typos **
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Wes wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4 ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

You didn't mention the pitch but Mcmasters sells acme threaded rod. Add a
bit of
machining and some silver braze and you have a new screw.

Wes

I think Wes is right...

Did I hear that $nap-On bought Wilton a while back?

Snap-On bought Williams, not Wilton.

Wilton and Powermatic are parts of the WMH Tool Group.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:25:48 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote:

The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4 ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I
just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

You didn't mention the pitch but Mcmasters sells acme threaded rod. Add a
bit of
machining and some silver braze and you have a new screw.

Wes

I know...BUT, if we're making a part we can buy, we're not making parts we
need that we can't buy. The days of making stuff we can buy are gone. Sad
but true. I'll buy a new vise without a second thought and pitch this one
in the scrap steel dumpster.

Put it on Ebay and it will sell.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Wes wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

The screw and boss are one piece on this 4" vise. The screw is 3/4
ACME I
assume. I did Google for parts with no luck, is there a source or do I
just
get a new one? It's way PITA to make one and we're too busy. I do
have
another vise on that workbench, we really need two but I'm willing to
wait
for a part if I can find one soon.

You didn't mention the pitch but Mcmasters sells acme threaded rod. Add
bit of
machining and some silver braze and you have a new screw.

Wes

I think Wes is right...

Did I hear that $nap-On bought Wilton a while back?

Snap-On bought Williams, not Wilton.

Wilton and Powermatic are parts of the WMH Tool Group.

Have you ever seen a website or address for where I might buy the part?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Wes wrote:

"Buerste" wrote:

[...]

Drop an email to Leigh at MarMachine. ..catruckman@ AOL dot com

He is a dealer for Powermatic etc etc. Im sure he would know

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-24, Erik wrote:
In article ,

[...]