Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Workpiece larger than machine tool

A casting for a conventional design of 1/2 ton capacity arbor press
was machined 1/8 inch on a 2 x 10 inch side for a metal removal of
less than 2.5 cu in. An open work envelope was configured on a Smithy
Super Shop using the saw table and fence to guide the work. The cutter
was a 2.5 inch dovetail milling cutter with 1 inch center hole and
keyway. The cutter was adapted to the drive with a 1/2 inch shank
jeweler's saw holder with 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1 inch ring mandrels
supported by a spring, held without the included top cap, and with a
purpose made double bevel washer and a M8x1.25 socket flat head
machine screw. The base of the casting was leveled by rubbing with a
12 inch sanding disc by hand, using 120 grit Al2O3 abrasive paper, to
prevent rocking which stalled the cut several times without damage to
the machine.

The passive voice was used because I feel like I've been through a
time machine to the 1700s when all of this was done routinely. Pip
pip, and all that.

So I figured I'd better tell somebody because this moves the machine
tool self-reproduction problem into the international standards
segment of development. The question of whether a machine fit can be
made on a part larger than the machine tool it is made with is
*resolved* by this constructive proof; this casting could have been
seven feet long, and with a few low-wage helpers, would have been
machined to the same precision. Remember, the first postulate of
machine tool self-reproduction is "We are universal, we define
universality, and we self-reproduce." The second is "To make one of
anything, you need two of everything". (Except the furnace and forge)

It can be done!

Douglas (Dana) Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Ref:

Phase Relationships in the Standardization Process. James Gosling.
August, 1990.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 22, 1:07*pm, The Dougster
wrote:
A casting for a conventional design of 1/2 ton capacity arbor press
was machined 1/8 inch on a 2 x 10 inch side ...
It can be done!

Douglas (Dana) Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

What do you have to measure the accuracy of the machined surface? I
think the ultimate limit is your ability to measure, not the machine's
ability to cut.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 22, 5:48*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 22, 1:07*pm, The Dougster
wrote:

A casting for a conventional design of 1/2 ton capacity arbor press
was machined 1/8 inch on a 2 x 10 inch side ...

What do you have to measure the accuracy of the machined surface? I
think the ultimate limit is your ability to measure, not the machine's
ability to cut.

Yes, 'twas ever thus. But ya gotta understand this was *hand fed*
taking off only a couple mils, no feedscrew, no vise, no ways, direct
contact of work to table, just like ripping a board.

A granite plate 12x18x3 inches, a 12 inch height gage, and a 0.030
range indicator are right here at the desk. I am working both sides of
the piece; that improves the stability greatly. There's also a trick
of putting an interposing plate under the work as a "carriage" and
having *precisely* three equal thickness feet under that.
Kinematically nonredundant. Got 5 pieces 36 x 11 x 3/8 glass plate in
the patio for that sort of thing, and plenty of Absolute Black tile
from Home Depot should it have to look good later.

*Beautiful* surface finish on that part. But...

Something bad happened.

I got so excited at the success I started clearing away tools and
setting up lighting for filming it. Just one last demo cut, I told
myself, for posterity. (YouTube, and INA) Then I had to go and polish
the damn fence and table with an abrasive sponge to make them purty.

Four stiches, 800 mg of ibuprofen, and a tasty Chicken Club sandwich
from Wendy's later, here I am writing about it. The shop door is shut.
No filming for at least a day, maybe ten. I needed the medical grade
72% cacao Ghirardelli to blow the adrenaline out of me, too. I'm
wondering how much it's all going to cost me.

I polished to close to the (non-rotating but still wicked sharp)
cutter. That's all. A moment of inattention. Damn. 4x4 gauze and a
stress ball all the way to the ER. A really wicked gash across that
fat muscle at the palm side base of the thumb.

Learned me good, that one did. What goes up....

Douglas (Dana) "Ten Digits" Goncz
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 22, 1:07*pm, The Dougster
(that's me) wrote:
A casting for a conventional design of 1/2 ton capacity arbor press
was machined 1/8 inch on a 2 x 10 inch side for a metal removal of
less than 2.5 cu in.

Er, 1/8 from both side, more like .032 from the side closest to the
ram centerline, and the rest from the other side. The nearer side
never completely cleaned up (maybe 25% plus), but after only a few
cuts of 0.005 to .003 inches provided the stability against the fence
for the farther side to clean up to 95% with a uniform finish. The
sides are about 4.5 mm thick so that's a lot lost from the farther
side.

It's to be filled with epoxy concrete when final. Two brass tubes for
the 1/2 inch holding bolts will keep the grout out. It bolts on a
board for use on the floor with one hand on the lever, and the other
hammering the ram when needed. The current application is squeezing
1/2 OD x 1/16 wall steel tube to flat ends to mount binding posts for
a hot wire bender made from a desk lamp and a triac dimmer.

Cutting 60 sfpm is ok, but at the risk of tool wear, I increased to up
to 250 sfpm to get the finish at about 0.002 depth of cut, and was
careful to blow the graphite away from me with the old blow-pipe
puffed-cheeks method.

Doug
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Doug,

SNIP A BUNCH OF GOOD STUFF
Four stiches, 800 mg of ibuprofen, and a tasty Chicken Club sandwich
from Wendy's later, here I am writing about it. The shop door is shut.
No filming for at least a day, maybe ten. I needed the medical grade
72% cacao Ghirardelli to blow the adrenaline out of me, too. I'm
wondering how much it's all going to cost me.

I polished to close to the (non-rotating but still wicked sharp)
cutter. That's all. A moment of inattention. Damn. 4x4 gauze and a
stress ball all the way to the ER. A really wicked gash across that
fat muscle at the palm side base of the thumb.

Learned me good, that one did. What goes up....

Douglas (Dana) "Ten Digits" Goncz

OOOUUUCCCCHHHH. Get well quick. Lady next door whacked her knuckles
last week, not with a hammer, but with a chain saw! 50 stitches.

So, just removing inattention from the shop doesn't fix the problem.
It's outside too.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps....post the URL for the Youtube (and whatever " INA " is).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 22, 10:13*pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Doug,

SNIP A BUNCH OF GOOD STUFF

Four stiches....

I polished to close to the (non-rotating but still wicked sharp)
cutter.

OOOUUUCCCCHHHH. *Get well quick. *Lady next door whacked her knuckles
last week, not with a hammer, but with a chain saw! *50 stitches.

So, just removing inattention from the shop doesn't fix the problem.
It's outside too.

ps....post the URL for the Youtube (and whatever " INA " is).

Not so much Ouch as Yikes; more shock value than pain.

Trouble with converter for video. AVS Convert. It works, but they want
to sell me a license for *all* their software, to remove the watermark
imposed by *this* product. Any suggestions?

By the way, within one hour of playing your last YouTube video, "video
[1}.flv" remains in cache. After that, it expires and is removed
automatically. View the cache, copy that file elsewhere before it
disapears, and convert, and you've snagged it; it's yours forever.
It's also overwritten by the next YouTube video you play, so one at a
time....

My fave is "Ridicuously Hot Latina Girl Dancing (not Asian)". Yowza!

Doug
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 22, 10:13*pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Doug,

SNIP A BUNCH OF GOOD STUFF

(more snipped by Doug)

Learned me good, that one did. What goes up....

Douglas (Dana) "Ten Digits"Goncz

OOOUUUCCCCHHHH. *Get well quick. *Lady next door whacked her knuckles
last week, not with a hammer, but with a chain saw! *50 stitches.

So, just removing inattention from the shop doesn't fix the problem.
It's outside too.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps....post the URL for the Youtube (and whatever " INA " is).

Still trying to convert video. My LinkedIn aks "What are you working
on now?", Twitter-style. My answer "Recovering from photographing a
universal wood and metal cutting machine tool cutting cast iron in an
open work envelope, flatness 0.001 on 2 x 10 in." Hah!

The Super Shop is still set up for the cut. My Canon S110 will do AVI.
That is an option.

Doug "Hand Bound"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 27, 9:08*am, The Dougster (I)
wrote:
On Nov 22, 10:13*pm, Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey Doug,

SNIP A BUNCH OF GOOD STUFF

(more snipped *by Doug)

Learned me good, that one did. What goes up....

Douglas (Dana) "Ten Digits"Goncz

OOOUUUCCCCHHHH. *Get well quick. *Lady next door whacked her knuckles
last week, not with a hammer, but with a chain saw! *50 stitches.

So, just removing inattention from the shop doesn't fix the problem.
It's outside too.
(snip)
ps....post the URL for the Youtube (and whatever " INA " is).

Still trying to convert video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4AeOdGKxs4

There ya go. Best I can do right now, a free converter and ratty
audio.

Doug
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Doug,

Youtube says:

"The URL contained a malformed video ID. "

so I don't see anything. Try agin for me please.

Brian Lawson.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX