Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stuart Victoria Meyer Expansion Valve Drive

Finally got the Meyer Expansion valve drive working on the Victoria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzk8EwN7-34

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:59:26 -0000, "Steve"
wrote:

Finally got the Meyer Expansion valve drive working on the Victoria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzk8EwN7-34

Steve

Hey Steve,

Looks very nice and runs very well. But I'm not much up on the types
of valve gear, and not sure what the "Meyer Expansion valve" is, or
its purpose . It appears to have both an intake and exhaust valve
train. Is that correct?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Finally got the Meyer Expansion valve drive working on the Victoria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzk8EwN7-34

Steve

Hey Steve,

Looks very nice and runs very well. But I'm not much up on the types
of valve gear, and not sure what the "Meyer Expansion valve" is, or
its purpose . It appears to have both an intake and exhaust valve
train. Is that correct?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

I'm not an expert in steam, but the my best approximation to the Meyer
arrangement is that its like an advance / retard mechanism in that it's
possible to fine tune th esteam cutoff's. Probably not a great explanation
but here is a link which might help:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/r...=2&imagepos=39

On some engines theyt are designed for the cut-off to be adjusted
dynamically - ie in reponse to load and speed changes, some engines had a
seperate fly ball governor to drive cut-off adjustments.

In my model, it will be purely static. At the minute, the lower shaft
drives a conventional slide valve and the upper shaft nothing at all!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:13:49 -0000, "Steve"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Hey again Steve,

OK. Thank you. Seems simple enough in theory. Bitch to build and
"set".

Always nice watching things that move.

Take care.

Brian Lawson.