Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More on Bullet casting/heat treating

It may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCommentsCBAlloys.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCBAlloyObturation.htm

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
It may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCommentsCBAlloys.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCBAlloyObturation.htm

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

I stopped at the closest scrap metal buying yard, where libtards go to sell
the stuff they stole, to buy some lead, preferably linotype and the guy told
me they only buy and don't sell. Go figure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
It may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCommentsCBAlloys.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCBAlloyObturation.htm

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

I find it interesting that bullets will get harder over time for a while on
the other hand, we get shipments of several tons of 19 ga. strip steel that
we punch various parts out of. There are often subsequent forming, piercing
and drawing operations. Sometimes during these operations the parts will
tear or not form right. If we let these drums of parts sit for a few weeks
to "Roomalize", the parts will run normally.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:33:57 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
It may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCommentsCBAlloys.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCBAlloyObturation.htm

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

I stopped at the closest scrap metal buying yard, where libtards go to sell
the stuff they stole, to buy some lead, preferably linotype and the guy told
me they only buy and don't sell. Go figure.

Check the tire stores.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:33:57 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I stopped at the NTB that does my tire work with a box-o-brushes. The
manager's face lit up and I walked out with a 5 gal bucked half full. How
should I clean then up before melting them into ingots? I'd like to run
them through the dishwasher if I can figure out how.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
[...]

Not really needed. Drop them in a big pot over a fire and let them melt.
The crud will either burn up OR float to the surface. Skim off the dross
and ladle out the lead. when you get to the bottom collect the clips and
clean out the pot. Visit a second hand store and get a plain cast iron
dutch oven to use as you cleaning pot. Also pick up a couple cheap
mini-muffin tins so you can ladle the lead into them and create small
ingots to use in your good pot.

Now you will need to work up some alloys..... Then comes a copper flash
plating rig to stop leading...
Then swaging your own bullet shells.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:01:40 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

I stopped at the NTB that does my tire work with a box-o-brushes. The
manager's face lit up and I walked out with a 5 gal bucked half full. How
should I clean then up before melting them into ingots? I'd like to run
them through the dishwasher if I can figure out how.

You're risking a steam explosion. I got lucky when I was young and
dumb(er). Sprayed the range scrap with a hose to clean off the dirt
before I threw it in the pot with the molten lead. The exploding lead
hit everything but me. Just lucky, very very lucky to have survived
my youth unscathed.

There's a work around to everything. If you really wanted to clean
them first, probably the strongest cleaner for all that grease and
grime would be the purple cleaner you get in the auto dept at Wal
Mart. Then put the wheel weights in the oven for an hour to get rid
of the water. Never did that myself, but I suspect the above would
work.

Where I live, I just do the smelting outdoors and let the oil and
grease burn off in the pot. I use a turkey cooker and a big cast iron
pot to do the smelting. I scoop out the dross, dirt, clips, and old
tire valves with a slotted spoon. Sawdust from the shop is cheap
flux. Keep your melt temp just low enought to melt the weights in
order to keep from melting the zinc wheel weights. They're reported
to ruin a batch of otherwise good lead if they melt and alloy with the
others. I haven't had to smelt weights for quite awhile, but my
recollection is that the zinc weights are shinier and tend to be stick
ons.

RWL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Buerste wrote:
[...]

When will it END??? Do you have a rifling button I could borrow?
(don't your steel clips float on molten lead?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:01:40 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:33:57 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote

It may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCommentsCBAlloys.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCBAlloyObturation.htm

I stopped at the closest scrap metal buying yard, where libtards go to
sell the stuff they stole, to buy some lead, preferably linotype and
the guy told me they only buy and don't sell. Go figure.

Check the tire stores.

I stopped at the NTB that does my tire work with a box-o-brushes. The
manager's face lit up and I walked out with a 5 gal bucked half full. How
should I clean then up before melting them into ingots? I'd like to run
them through the dishwasher if I can figure out how.

NO WATER! Water is BAD if your next step is to make molten lead.
You don't want any loose water within 1/4 mile of the crucible pot!!
It will make that hot lead jump right out of the pot and all over you,
and that is Very Most Certainly Quite Bad.

(Okay, run it through a caustic hot tank engine cleaner, or an old
home dishwasher with a triple-shot of Cascade - same caustic cleaning
action, just weaker. DO NOT use your house dishwasher unless you want
SWMBO to insist on a new one Right Now... And be sure that the lead
is Good And Dry before putting it in the pot.)

Melt it down, the remaining oil and paint and dirt will burn off.
Then add some flux (stir it in) to draw all the dross and crap up to
the top so you can skim it off with a spoon or a rake tool. Search
for lead bullet casdting flux, there are many prepared compounds and
even more you can mix up yourself.

Oh, and don't be surprised if the results are not consistent - Some
wheel weight lead alloy is 3% antimony, some is 0.6% antimony. You
might want to seperate the weights by brand and type, so you can test
the resulting melt for hardness before making lots of bullets.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dont bother. The dirt will come to the top when you melt em. And be
sure to tell the guy that you want every weight they can get you from
now on. And not to bother with the self sticky ones with the double
sided tape on the back.

(Hit as many tire shops that you can. You want as many wheel weights
that you can lay your hands on. Perhaps not now..but for the future. I
think Im down to 500 lbs or so..and will be laying in more in the near
future.)

When you melt them..the steel clips will come to the top. Let em lay
there while you flux the melted lead and stir it up pretty well. Got
any beeswax? If not, use a pea sized bit of bullet lubricant and stir it
in really well. Then and only then ..fish out the clips with a spoon,
drilled with 1/8'- 3/16" holes in the bowl of the spoon. This makes
sure the big chunks come out of the pot..but the tin and antimoney stay
behind.

I rather like a ready made flux called Marvelux

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...T_CASTING_FLUX

Its smokeless (unlike the beeswax etc)...oh...if you flux with beeswax
etc..simply stick a lit match in the cloud of smoke and it will burn
gently..killing much of the smoke coming out of the pot.

Keep that spoon handy. And if you can find one..make up a fluxing spoon
out of a tablespoon sized heavy duty spoon. Not a piece of **** tin
chicom bit of bendable fluffery. If the heat gets to you..simply slot a
bit of 1/2" dowel and make a handle to slide over the spoon handle.
Fasten it with a screw, a bit of wire, etc.

Gunner..planning on cleaning up his reloading shop tommorow..no work so
far this week, and no money as yet to even fill his gas tank...sigh

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup..they are usually a 1-1.25" ribbon with double stick on the back.
Toss em into a 5 gallon bucket for a rainy day. Pistol bullets CAN be
cast from zinc..but its a rather different process in some ways and is
NOT compatible with lead based bullets.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=7641

Ive cast a few over the years...and found it to be an utter pain in the
ass. You have super light, rather hard bullets. Which might..might
punch a vest if one uses a nice sharp pointed bullet. Shrug

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:33:57 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I bought a tub of flux made by "Franklin Arsenal" and it seems to work just
fine. I'll try sawdust some day as I seem to just happen to have some. It
seems you need to clean about 100 lbs. of WWs at a time to feel like I
accomplished anything. It's the kind of job you only want to do a few times
a year. I'll take an ingot into work tomorrow and put it on the hardness
tester.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 00:38:59 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Federal offered their NyClad bullets for years, but they really didnt
sell a lot of them and finally quit offering them. The 125gr Hollow
Point with a Nyclad coating, fired out of a snubby..is a Great
manstopper! with 100% expansion. I snag em whenever I can find a box.

They are becoming rare as hell unfortunately.

Gunner

UPDATE!!! Nyclads are Back!! Whooopeeee!!!

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=828

These are for snubbies and short barreled revolvers that simply wont
launch a normal jacketed hollowpoint fast enough to expand 100% of the
time. And because they expand..overpenetration is not a hazard
...well..not as much as solid slugs or slugs that failed to expand.

The Nyclads have nearly a 100% proven expansion rate and are ****ing
Marvelous for shooting the bad guys with a small revolver that you can
tuck away easily.

Got a 38 belly gun tucked away? You can now stack and pack it with
Nyclads and not be undergunned.

These should work as well or better than the polymer coated bullets I
posted source for earlier.

Gunner

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:33:57 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Whiteish very light gray sugar like material?

Probably relabled Marvelux..though there are a few out there now days.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.co...Cast-Lead-Flux

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1961.html

Oh..dont waste you time using sawdust. If it worked worth a
****..everyone would be using it. Its been around a very long time G

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why would you need more than one box of these? Seems to me you could fire
the cheapies for target practice and reserve the whizz bang stuff in the
event you needed them.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you carry a defensive gun you practice with it using the same ammo
you plan to carry it with. You want to KNOW where those rounds are going
to go and be familiar with exactly what your weapon is going to do when
you have to use it.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Bravo! Very well said.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Fortunately, I live in a location where (I hope) I don't have to worry
about this situation; or at least, I haven't done so for a long time.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hope in one hand..**** in the other..see which one weighs more.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Why would you need more than one box of these? Seems to me you could fire
the cheapies for target practice and reserve the whizz bang stuff in the
event you needed them.

If you carry a defensive gun you practice with it using the same ammo
you plan to carry it with. You want to KNOW where those rounds are going
to go and be familiar with exactly what your weapon is going to do when
you have to use it.

Bravo! Very well said.

Fortunately, I live in a location where (I hope) I don't have to worry
about this situation; or at least, I haven't done so for a long time.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

A gent not far from here was beaten to death by his loving son in law
about a week ago. His sister was visiting my fathers place the day it
happened, and her common complaint about me and my attitude toward guns
was "I'll never understand why you have those guns, we live in an area
that doesn't have a problem ". George had the same attitude....

http://www.leaderherald.com/page/con....html?nav=5011
(note the comments about the lack of crime in the area)
What's that Boy Scout Motto again.....
--
Steve W.