Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding and fabricating plastic cheaply or free

Remember the "cheaply or free" part before replying. I have a vinyl
gutter and need to somehow bring the downspout down at an angle other
than is possible with the store bought product. Its going to be
something i fabricate. I'm thinking plastic because of the weight. I
can and will fabricate something out of as thin a metal as i can get
if i have to.
Where can i get cheap plastic sheets and rod? I didn't try it yet
but could i heat the vinyl downspout and just form it that way. I'm
after function here not Aesthetics. Now that i've though of this for a
while it seems that this is an area of repair i've overlooked in the
past. So any ideas on where to get materal, rods, ect. I live
hundreds of miles from a city so the plastics companies scrap bins
will have to wait till i make a trip in the future.
Rosco the cheapskate Butter
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 15, 10:02*am, Butter wrote:
*Remember the "cheaply or free" part before replying. I have a vinyl
gutter and need to somehow bring the downspout down at an angle other
than is possible with the store bought product. Its going to be
something i fabricate. I'm thinking plastic because of the weight. I
can and will fabricate something out of as thin a metal as i can get
if i have to.
* Where can i get cheap plastic sheets and rod? I didn't try it yet
but could i heat the vinyl downspout and just form it that way. I'm
after function here not Aesthetics. Now that i've though of this for a
while it seems that this is an area of repair i've overlooked in the
past. So any ideas on where to get materal, rods, *ect. I live
hundreds of miles from a city so the plastics companies scrap bins
will have to wait till i make a trip in the future.
Rosco the cheapskate Butter

I'd use aluminum flashing and Pop rivets. It's easy to cut with snips
and unlike plastic it stays where it's bent.

There are flexible downspout plastic adapters available. I couldn't
use them because they jam from tree debris. Instead I ran the gutter
around the corners to where the wall is vertical and dropped straight
downspouts that are attached only at the lower end and are easy to
remove for cleaning. The downspout tee has no end cap so when it clogs
the water pours out the end, and I can drag the leaves out with a
scoop on a long pole.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Butter" wrote in message
Remember the "cheaply or free" part before replying. I have a vinyl
gutter and need to somehow bring the downspout down at an angle other
than is possible with the store bought product. Its going to be
something i fabricate. I'm thinking plastic because of the weight. I
can and will fabricate something out of as thin a metal as i can get
if i have to.
Where can i get cheap plastic sheets and rod? I didn't try it yet
but could i heat the vinyl downspout and just form it that way. I'm
after function here not Aesthetics. Now that i've though of this for a
while it seems that this is an area of repair i've overlooked in the
past. So any ideas on where to get materal, rods, ect. I live
hundreds of miles from a city so the plastics companies scrap bins
will have to wait till i make a trip in the future.
Rosco the cheapskate Butter

Vinyl can be solvent bonded. Use PVC cement for plastic pipe.

For the down spout itself rather than bending it you can use PVC pipe and
fittings.

For the connection to the gutter itself I would try to make a flange on the
end of the PVC pipe by forming it with a little local heat, then make a rung
flange from a fitting by cutting off the ring from the female end of a
fitting. This will give you good mechanical strength.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vinyl can be solvent bonded. *Use PVC cement for plastic pipes?

This will work out fine. i was going to "borrow" some PVC cement
tomorrow at work to bond some PVC electrical conduit. I'll just try
this on my problem and this hopefully will solve it.
Thanks for both replys
Rosco

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If a standard downspout is close you can try heating and reshaping it.
Either a heatgun or submerge in boiling water should soften it enough for
you to bend it to shape.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames