Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default #OT# San Francisco Bay bridge

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:56:10 -0500, the renowned "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
m...
From the news reports it appears that the major cause for the
delay in repairs of the San Francisco Bay Bridge is a lack of the
required steel. Is this what we have managed to accomplish with
the deindustrialization of the U.S. -- that we can no longer
repair a bridge? Where is the steel coming from -- India or
China?

Jeez, George, don't you become one of those hand-wringers, too. US steel
production through October was 50 million tons.

Wow, that's almost 7% of China's steel production!

g Actually, it's 10% of China's production, this year to date. And
according to Arcelormittal, they're running at severe excess capacity and
30% of their output is break-even. Their steel industry is heading for
trouble, which means the world steel industry is in for a price fight.
Expect tariffs next year, as China tries to dump its excess capacity on
the world.

--
Ed Huntress

there was a guy on tv saying "expect tariffs" because of the upcoming
elections, angry voters and china being a favorite whipping boy. the
elected officials are going to come out in force to punish china, because
that's what the working man/average voter wants. it's a perfect storm.

b.w.

You may be right. But I think this administration is start enough not to
start a trade war with China. It would be devastating.

It will be much better to work through the WTO. China really can't fight
that organization.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:56:10 -0500, the renowned "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in
message
om...
From the news reports it appears that the major cause for the
[...]

Actually, I have not seen a lot of brains in this administration. About the
same amount as the last administration.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill McKee" wrote:

Actually, I have not seen a lot of brains in this administration. About the
same amount as the last administration.

But I liked the last administration more.

Wes