Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default linear actuator

Long time since I've posted but I need some help.
I have a HTS (Houston Tracking System) linear actuator off of a C-ban
satallite dish. It has 6 wires coming out of it; 2 large (~16 ga.)
[red and white] and 4 smaller wires [od green, green, yellow and bare]
I'm pretty sure that the red and white are the power leads and the
others are sensor wires. I also think that it is 24 volts dc, here is
where I have been having problems; I can get the actuator to move in
only one direction no matter which wires I use for positive and
negitive. Is there a couple of the other wires that need to be dealt
with in order to make this motor turn in the oppsite direction? Any
help would be appreciated.

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

so if you make the red plus and the white minus, it moves? and if you make
the red minus and the white plus it still moves in the same direction?

tell us exactly what you did, maybe we can help - your guess that the two
larger wires are power is good - sometimes the ground is part of the circuit
(e.g. red to ground or white to ground)

"mike" wrote in message
Long time since I've posted but I need some help.
I have a HTS (Houston Tracking System) linear actuator off of a C-ban
satallite dish. It has 6 wires coming out of it; 2 large (~16 ga.)
[red and white] and 4 smaller wires [od green, green, yellow and bare]
I'm pretty sure that the red and white are the power leads and the
others are sensor wires. I also think that it is 24 volts dc, here is
where I have been having problems; I can get the actuator to move in
only one direction no matter which wires I use for positive and
negitive. Is there a couple of the other wires that need to be dealt
with in order to make this motor turn in the oppsite direction? Any
help would be appreciated.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 5:34*am, mike wrote:
Long time since I've posted but I need some help.

Any
help would be appreciated.

Mike

I would measure the resistance between all the leads. The big leads
are most likely the power leads, but the smaller wires might go to
relays that control the speed and direction.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've had a few of the C-band dish actuators apart, and the leads going into
the gearbox were for DC motor power, and a feedback device which may be
either a potentiometer or a reed switch assembly that's aactivated/switched
by a rotating magnet disc.

If you remove the gearbox cover, the wiring should be fairly obvious.

The older actutors that I'm familiar with (1980s models) had an indoor power
supply (separate from the tuner) that was the power source for the motor,
and also had the reversing relays in it.
The feedback leads went to the tuner IIRC.

It's not entirely clear, what you described as the actutor only moves in one
direction regardless of the DC polarity change.
I think you are seeing that with one polarity, the actuator moves, and with
the other polarity, it doesn't move (not that it moves in the same direction
as the first polarity).

Inside the actuator tube there is a ballscrew, and since ballscrews are
easily moved by external forces, there needs to be a braking system to
insure that the actuator holds it's position.

The actuator tube probably isn't designed for disassembly, but there are
likely to be a pair of spring coil mechanical brakes wound to fit snuggly
onto hubs.
The ones I saw (when I used an angle grinder to disassemble the actuator),
were the type of brakes that hold a hub in the way that turning a rod
inserted into a spring will turn freely in one direction, but be gripped by
the spring in the other direction.

If water has gotten into the actuator and caused the spring coils to rust,
they aren't likely to be operating as intended.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"mike" wrote in message
Long time since I've posted but I need some help.
I have a HTS (Houston Tracking System) linear actuator off of a C-ban
satallite dish. It has 6 wires coming out of it; 2 large (~16 ga.)
[red and white] and 4 smaller wires [od green, green, yellow and bare]
I'm pretty sure that the red and white are the power leads and the
others are sensor wires. I also think that it is 24 volts dc, here is
where I have been having problems; I can get the actuator to move in
only one direction no matter which wires I use for positive and
negitive. Is there a couple of the other wires that need to be dealt
with in order to make this motor turn in the oppsite direction? Any
help would be appreciated.

Mike

Pneumatic remote Flush Actuator Michael Shergold[_2_] UK diy 1 September 25th 09 08:43 PM
DIY Vacuum Actuator? Chet Metalworking 24 August 29th 08 03:03 PM
Linear actuator needed kcleere Woodworking 14 July 16th 06 06:24 PM
linear actuator? Matt Woodworking 7 July 8th 05 09:50 PM
Clever actuator -- and pretty cheap [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 5th 05 01:12 AM