Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Insulation: blown or fiberglass for metal garage

Which one is better for a 900 square foot garage?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
Which one is better for a 900 square foot garage?

I will never use blown insulation again. You will inevitably have to do some
type of alteration and have that junk falling all over your face. Get batts
of insulation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" wrote in
:

"stryped" wrote in message

@d4g2000vbm.googlegroups.com..
.
Which one is better for a 900 square foot garage?

Assuming ceiling.

I will never use blown insulation again. You will inevitably have to
do some type of alteration and have that junk falling all over your
face. Get batts of insulation.

Why would you renovate an open plan shop building to the point of
disturbing the ceiling? That's about the last factor I'd base a decision
on with a new building.

Price out a professional install of blown in. Then compare the same R
value worth of materials at the homecenter and add in the machine
rental. I bet pro installed is near the material price. It doesn't
take them more than a few hours for a man and helper feeding the machine
to do that size building.

IMHO blown in does a better job of getting in the nooks and crannies
around the trusses. It is also WAY less labour intensive than crawling
around trying to not fall through the ceiling placing batts. Installing
batts before the ceiling goes up is not fun either.

If you DIY blown in, crawl around first and put felt pen marks on every
other truss, mark all the braces at the desired insulation depth. Blow
parallel to the trusses from the eave back to the center. Blowing
across will make windrows and make it hard to get the depth consistent.

Might as well use whatever is cheaper as long as it's not a ton more
work to install.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Charles U Farley" wrote in message
"ATP*" wrote in
:

"stryped" wrote in message

[...]

all good points, but I would prefer not to have to deal with that crap if i
have to run a wire to a fan, install a vent, detector, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 6, 10:13*pm, Charles U Farley wrote:
"ATP*" wrote :

"stryped" wrote in message

[...]

Is the cellulose corrosive if it touches thre metal siding?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 7, 1:10*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:65565311-c383-4413-
:

Is the cellulose corrosive if it touches thre metal siding?

Some brands are. *You'll have to get the corrosivity rating off the bag or
from the manufacturer. *Those that use salts of boron for a flame retardant
can be incompatible with galvanized materials.

LLoyd

I went to Lowes and looked on the package but could find nothing about
corrosiveness other than it meets some specification for
corrosiveness. I could not find an incrediants list to look for "Salts
of Boron".