Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blown-In Wall Insulation with Existing Fiberglass

I have a 1961 home with 4" walls. I opened up a stud cavity and could see
that there is about 1.5" or so of fiberglass with kraft paper against the
sheathing. So there is about 2" of dead air space between the drywall and
kraft paper.

I had a proposal from an insulation contractor to blow in cellulose to fill
the area between the dryall and kraft paper. I am concerned because they'll
be insulation, a vapor barrier, and then more insulation.

Will this cause a problem. Would the extra insulation be worth the trouble?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a 1961 home with 4" walls. I opened up a stud cavity and could see
that there is about 1.5" or so of fiberglass with kraft paper against the
sheathing. So there is about 2" of dead air space between the drywall and
kraft paper.

I had a proposal from an insulation contractor to blow in cellulose to fill
the area between the dryall and kraft paper. I am concerned because they'll
be insulation, a vapor barrier, and then more insulation.

Will this cause a problem. Would the extra insulation be worth the trouble?

It can make a significant difference adding the cellulose.

You can minimize the condensation problem by painting the
interior wall surfaces with vapor retarding paint.

Monitor the indoor humidity levels during winter.
If you currently run a humidifier, you may be able
to leave it off.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a 1961 home with 4" walls. I opened up a stud cavity and could see
that there is about 1.5" or so of fiberglass with kraft paper against the
sheathing. So there is about 2" of dead air space between the drywall and
kraft paper.

I had a proposal from an insulation contractor to blow in cellulose to

fill
the area between the dryall and kraft paper. I am concerned because

they'll
be insulation, a vapor barrier, and then more insulation.

Will this cause a problem. Would the extra insulation be worth the

trouble?

The worst things that could happen are your house will rot, or
you will get horrible mold growth.

Bob