Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Glass baking tray explosion

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus2624" wrote in message
This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

That's tempered glass. It's under intentional stress from heat-treatment,
and it shatters into small pieces that are relatively blunt. The
non-laminated safety glass in car windows does the same thing.

Your dish probably is Pyrex. I don't know if all Pyrex is tempered, or not.
But it is heat-treated.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

The old Pyrex did not make little pieces. Big chunks go flying. I turned
on the wrong burner about 50 years ago, and 2 baking dishes were stacked on
top of the electric burner I turned on. Shortly, and I was around the
corner luckily, there was a major explosion of glass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2624 wrote:
This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Interesting read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex , is the tray
recently made and of US origin. I've used European Pyrex cookware
recently over a naked flame with no problems. IIRC the borosilicate is
less prone to thermal shock failures because the COE is very much lower
than soda lime glass.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus2624" wrote in message
This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

An amusing science experiment is using a blowtorch to melt drips of molten
glass from a glass rod and allow the drips to fall in a bucket of water.

The glass drips are quenched in such a way that the glass 'skin' is highly
stressed, if you break one of these glass droplets it explodes.

A neat little booby trap - drop a handful in someone's toolbox.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ian field wrote:
"Ignoramus2624" wrote in message

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

An amusing science experiment is using a blowtorch to melt drips of molten
glass from a glass rod and allow the drips to fall in a bucket of water.

The glass drips are quenched in such a way that the glass 'skin' is highly
stressed, if you break one of these glass droplets it explodes.

A neat little booby trap - drop a handful in someone's toolbox.

Yes, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert's_Drop . If you
have the balls have one set off in your hand, sort of feels like beings
high fived very very hard. Got to do a few for a mate sometime soon.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-03, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus2624 wrote:
This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Interesting read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex , is the tray
recently made and of US origin. I've used European Pyrex cookware
recently over a naked flame with no problems. IIRC the borosilicate is
less prone to thermal shock failures because the COE is very much lower
than soda lime glass.

I do not know what was the material, the tray was likely purchased at
Wal-Mart, so I suppose that it was made in China.

I will retrieve some pieces to see if it is thermal shock resistant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"CalifBill" wrote:

[...]

My money's on uneven stress caused by uneven heating by the surface
burner under the dish. Glass baking dishes are heated evenly by oven
heat. Heating them unevenly on a surface burner will make them go BOOM,
alright. DAMHIKT!

And now YKHYKT too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Your dish probably is Pyrex.

Thinking Pyrex glass was borosilicate glass (low TC) resistant to heat
induced stress, I went to Wikipedia:

"Orignally Pyrex was made from thermal shock resistant borosilicate
glass. In 1998 Corning sold its consumer products division.......Pyrex
kitchen glassware is now made of soda lime glass...."

Jerry Pournell was right.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , axolotl wrote:

Jerry Pournell was right.

?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , axolotl wrote:

Jerry Pournell was right.

?

Pournelle is known for revising Sturgeon's Law.

Sturgeon pointed out that "90% of science fiction is crud".

Pournelle expanded it to "90% of everything is crud".

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus2624" wrote in message
This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

When I was a kid my mother served strawberries and cream in a glass bowl.
Just as the spoon lightly touched the bowl the bowl exploded with the shards
travelling across *two* rooms and (apparently round the corner) onto the
balcony. Interestingly no-one was injured.

Took a while to clean the strawberies off the walls...

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

Yes, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert's_Drop . If you
have the balls have one set off in your hand, sort of feels like beings
high fived very very hard. Got to do a few for a mate sometime soon.

David and Ian, that was facinating. I melted and bent a bit of glass from my chemistry
kit back in the day but never dropped it into water. The fun I missed ;(

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 16:48:03 -0400, the infamous John Husvar
scrawled the following:

CA bill said:
The old Pyrex did not make little pieces. Big chunks go flying. I turned
on the wrong burner about 50 years ago, and 2 baking dishes were stacked on
top of the electric burner I turned on. Shortly, and I was around the
corner luckily, there was a major explosion of glass.

My money's on uneven stress caused by uneven heating by the surface
burner under the dish. Glass baking dishes are heated evenly by oven
heat. Heating them unevenly on a surface burner will make them go BOOM,
alright. DAMHIKT!

Ditto that. It expanded in the center and the cracking rim led to the
explosion and thrust to the other dishes.

-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-04, Michael Koblic wrote:

"Ignoramus2624" wrote in message
This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

When I was a kid my mother served strawberries and cream in a glass bowl.
Just as the spoon lightly touched the bowl the bowl exploded with the shards
travelling across *two* rooms and (apparently round the corner) onto the
balcony. Interestingly no-one was injured.

Took a while to clean the strawberies off the walls...

I bet it took some time to clean the underwear too. Scary stuff.

So, in your case, it was basically existing stresses in the glass,
right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-04, Wes wrote:
David Billington wrote:

Yes, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert's_Drop . If you
have the balls have one set off in your hand, sort of feels like beings
high fived very very hard. Got to do a few for a mate sometime soon.

David and Ian, that was facinating. I melted and bent a bit of glass from my chemistry
kit back in the day but never dropped it into water. The fun I missed ;(

I will get some glass rods and will try just that. Seems
fascinating. Probably will try it in the front yard where no one
usually runs barefoot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Husvar" wrote in message
In article ,
"CalifBill" wrote:

[...]

John, this is tempered glass. It's under compression on both surfaces and
under tension in the middle, as a result of heat treatment. It makes the
glass much tougher and resistant to cracking by bending, whether the bending
is mechanical or heat-induced. It's something like prestressed concrete in
the way the surface compression has to be "unloaded" by a lot of tension
before an actual tensile force is applied to the surface of the material.

Here's a brief description from Wikipedia:

"Toughened or tempered glass is glass that has been processed by controlled
thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal
glass. Tempered glass is made by processes which create balanced internal
stresses which give the glass strength. It will usually shatter into small
fragments instead of sharp shards when broken, making it less likely to
cause severe injury and deep lacerations. As a result of its safety and
strength, tempered glass is used in a variety of demanding applications,
including passenger vehicle windows, glass doors and tables, as a component
of bulletproof glass, for diving masks, and various types of plates and
cookware.

"Toughened glass is physically and thermally stronger than regular glass.
The greater contraction of the inner layer during manufacturing induces
compressive stresses in the surface of the glass balanced by tensile
stresses in the body of the glass. For glass to be considered toughened,
this compressive stress on the surface of the glass should be a minimum of
69 MPa. For it to be considered safety glass, the surface compressive stress
should exceed 100 MPa. The greater the surface stress, the smaller the glass
particles will be when broken."

Glass is one of the strongest structural materials in existence.
Unfortunately, it's extremely vulnerable to surface scratches and
imperfections. By applying compression to the outer layers, those inevitable
imperfections aren't subjected to tensile stress until the actual tensile
stress on the tempered glass is quite high.

From information others have posted here, the material that Pyrex was once
made from, borosilicate, which is very resistant to heat stresses, has been
replaced by a common type of glass, and the strength and heat resistance has
been restored somewhat by tempering. But it sounds like Pyrex ain't what it
used to be.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ian field" wrote in
:

[...]

Ah yes. Prince Rupert's Drops. Lots of fun. We used to make them in
the high school chem lab. A lot of them would explode in the water after
zipping around a bit, but the ones that didn't were fished out &
cherished. They had long thin tails, and they were amazingly tough. If
you snap off the tail or crush it with pliers, kablooey!

A friend of mine had a small box with a bunch stored in it. He forgot
about them & found the box several years later. Most of them had
exploded spontaneously at soem point in the past.

A larger scale version is the Bologna Bottle. These are tough enough to
drive nails on the outside, but are easily scratched on the inside. When
you do, (you guessed it) kablooey!

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

From information others have posted here, the material that Pyrex was once
made from, borosilicate, which is very resistant to heat stresses, has been
replaced by a common type of glass, and the strength and heat resistance has
been restored somewhat by tempering. But it sounds like Pyrex ain't what it
used to be.

Well, that's my something new for today.

I've got several glass baking dishes round the place. One for sure is
Pyrex, but it's old as the hills, so I think it is borosilicate. I've
shattered tempered auto glass and CRT fronts by heating one area and
allowing it to cool naturally. After a while cooling, BANG!

So I figured that would apply to the baking dish in question.

It ain't what you know that gets you in trouble: Its what you know that
just ain't so - Twain(?)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 7:05*pm, Doug White wrote:

A larger scale version is the Bologna Bottle. *These are tough enough to
drive nails on the outside, but are easily scratched on the inside. *When
you do, (you guessed it) kablooey!

Doug White

Does anyone remember the GE group that went around the country in the
1950's and put on science assemblies in High schools?

One of the demos was exactly the thing Doug wrote about. Pounded
several quite large spikes into a 2X4 and then gently dropped a small
chunk of carborundum into the flask and exactly, KABLOOEY!.

They also did a demo of a pulse jet engine. Shook the whole school. I
loved those assemblies!

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"ian field" wrote:

"Ignoramus2624" wrote in message
This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

An amusing science experiment is using a blowtorch to melt drips of molten
glass from a glass rod and allow the drips to fall in a bucket of water.

The glass drips are quenched in such a way that the glass 'skin' is highly
stressed, if you break one of these glass droplets it explodes.

A neat little booby trap - drop a handful in someone's toolbox.

In a similar vein: Anybody remember the Fried Marbles fad?

Heat glass marbles in a frying pan, stirring frequently. When hot, drop
them into cold water. They'd crack internally, but the outside skin
would stay intact, until you dropped one on a hard surface or tapped one
with a hammer.

Some of them were quite pretty.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Somewhat tangential, but as far as I remember, borosilicate has
essentially no thermal expansion. It may be weaker than tempered
glass, but, at least, it would not explode when heated unevenly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Husvar" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

From information others have posted here, the material that Pyrex was
once
made from, borosilicate, which is very resistant to heat stresses, has
been
replaced by a common type of glass, and the strength and heat resistance
has
been restored somewhat by tempering. But it sounds like Pyrex ain't what
it
used to be.

Well, that's my something new for today.

I've got several glass baking dishes round the place. One for sure is
Pyrex, but it's old as the hills, so I think it is borosilicate. I've
shattered tempered auto glass and CRT fronts by heating one area and
allowing it to cool naturally. After a while cooling, BANG!

So I figured that would apply to the baking dish in question.

It ain't what you know that gets you in trouble: Its what you know that
just ain't so - Twain(?)

OK, here's another one for your amusement. The ultimate tensile strength of
steel piano wire, which is an exceptionally strong form of steel, runs
around 300,000 psi. The ultimate tensile strength of S-glass, which is the
material used in high-strength fiberglass, runs around 680,000 psi.

This always starts interesting discussions. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-04, Ed Huntress wrote:

OK, here's another one for your amusement. The ultimate tensile strength of
steel piano wire, which is an exceptionally strong form of steel, runs
around 300,000 psi. The ultimate tensile strength of S-glass, which is the
material used in high-strength fiberglass, runs around 680,000 psi.

This always starts interesting discussions. g

And carbon nanotubes have tensile strength of up to 9,135,000 PSI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube

(1 MPA = 145 PSI)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:16:57 -0500, Ignoramus2624
wrote:

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Who the hell bakes apple pies in casserol trays?

Blasphemey!!!!!!!

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

in the 60s, I fried a lot of marbles .... made keychains with them - there
were special holders for this purpose.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Who the hell bakes apple pies in casserol trays?

Blasphemey!!!!!!!

Well, when they do not explode, the pies turn out to be quite yummy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's an awesome webpage, a must read on the subject, from our usual
authority.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Who the hell bakes apple pies in casserol trays?

Blasphemey!!!!!!!

Well, when they do not explode, the pies turn out to be quite yummy.

Yabut....Square Pies????????

Geeze dude...you are in America now!!!

No need to make the Winter Palace Square Pie any longer!

VBG

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CA bill said:
The old Pyrex did not make little pieces. Big chunks go flying. I
turned
on the wrong burner about 50 years ago, and 2 baking dishes were stacked
on
top of the electric burner I turned on. Shortly, and I was around the
corner luckily, there was a major explosion of glass.

My money's on uneven stress caused by uneven heating by the surface
burner under the dish. Glass baking dishes are heated evenly by oven
heat. Heating them unevenly on a surface burner will make them go BOOM,
alright. DAMHIKT!

Ditto that. It expanded in the center and the cracking rim led to the
explosion and thrust to the other dishes.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Nope, it blew the unheated 1/2 off. The stacked dishes were on the electric
burner on one end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Who the hell bakes apple pies in casserol trays?

Blasphemey!!!!!!!

Gunner

You does Apple Betty in casseroles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 21:40:15 -0700, "CalifBill"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Who the hell bakes apple pies in casserol trays?

Blasphemey!!!!!!!

Gunner

You does Apple Betty in casseroles.

Correct! But Apple Pie????

Yharggggggg!!!!

One supposes Iggy has a side of beets with his pie as well?

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 01:15:44 -0400, John Husvar

wrote:

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Who the hell bakes apple pies in casserol trays?

Blasphemey!!!!!!!

Well, when they do not explode, the pies turn out to be quite yummy.

Yabut....Square Pies????????

Of course. Everybody knows pi R square.

BahRumpBump!!!!

Geeze dude...you are in America now!!!

No need to make the Winter Palace Square Pie any longer!

VBG

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

Your dish probably is Pyrex.

Thinking Pyrex glass was borosilicate glass (low TC) resistant to heat
induced stress, I went to Wikipedia:

"Orignally Pyrex was made from thermal shock resistant borosilicate
glass. In 1998 Corning sold its consumer products division.......Pyrex
kitchen glassware is now made of soda lime glass...."

Jerry Pournell was right.

Kevin Gallimore

The wiki article did say that only the US cookware pyrex is not
borosilicate and does state that the European cookware is borosilicate
so the French made stuff I bought a few months ago should be boro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Who the hell bakes apple pies in casserol trays?

Mom has before. She normally makes round ones though.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

From information others have posted here, the material that Pyrex was once
made from, borosilicate, which is very resistant to heat stresses, has been
replaced by a common type of glass, and the strength and heat resistance has
been restored somewhat by tempering. But it sounds like Pyrex ain't what it
used to be.

That green tint I see in the stuff at walmart had me thinking that the glass had changed.
This thread confirms it.

I bought some lights for our ID/OD grinders since the existing fixtures kept having their
lenses shattered when a wheel would blow. I had a choice of glass used in the new ones
and I picked borosilicate. So far, after a few years, the lenses haven't cracked.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 18:20:29 -0700, the infamous "Michael Koblic"
scrawled the following:

"Ignoramus2624" wrote in message
m...
This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

When I was a kid my mother served strawberries and cream in a glass bowl.
Just as the spoon lightly touched the bowl the bowl exploded with the shards
travelling across *two* rooms and (apparently round the corner) onto the
balcony. Interestingly no-one was injured.

Took a while to clean the strawberies off the walls...

That reminds me of David Eisan's post on the Wreck (almost a decade
ago; time flies!) about his kitchen incident.

--snip--
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: "David F. Eisan"
Date: 2000/06/19
Subject: Power tools in the kitchen.

Dear All,

This afternoon I was foolishly left alone in the kitchen with a
seemingly simple task, whip some cream.

It all started when I was attempting to whip some whipping cream into,
oddly enough, whipped cream with a hand whisk, and it seemed to
require far too much effort on my part. I am sure a Neander would be
quite happy with a hand whisk, but I was looking for a Normite way to
get this done.

Now I realise that most people have a power hand mixer, or what ever
they are called, but I don't have one.

I started thinking, hmm, how much different could one of those things
be from a router. All a hand mixer is, is a motor with a Jacobs chuck
like socket for whisks. Now if you think you know where I am going
with this, you are probably correct. I got out the dial callipers and
the shaft of the hand whisk was exactly 1/4". Woo Whoo, first problem
solved, I can use the standard 1/2" to 1/4" bushing. I go out to the
shop and take my three and a quarter horse Hitachi M12V out of the
router table and back into the kitchen. Using my 21mm and custom
ground thin 23mm Craftsman wrenches, I chuck up the whisk. Next
problem, speed. I measured the diameter of the business end of the
whisk and consulted my router bit speed chart. It said I should use
18,000 RPM. The only question left was technique, clockwise or counter
clockwise. Since I was doing an inside cut, I decided on the standard
counter clockwise.

I fired up the big green monster. Good thing the M12V has a soft start
feature, because even with my elbows braced on the countertop, this is
a heavy and unwieldy router to freehand in the air, but the torque was
still more than I was prepared for and I almost lost it. Okay, here we
are, full power. There was a quick blur of chaotic white liquid
filling the air and as the blur subsided I quickly realised the bowl
that previously held two cups of whipping cream was now virtually
devoid of cream. I powered down the router. My face, glasses and upper
body were covered in cream, as were two thirds of the kitchen. My
better half, alerted by the unusual tool noise and loud cursing coming
from the kitchen, walks in to ask just what the hell I thought I was
doing. I wipe off, change clothes and come back to explain myself and
clean up a very large mess.

Once I explained what I was attempting to the young lady I thought was
about to become my ex-wife (I could see it in her face, as she
thought, I cannot believe I actually married someone this stupid, Dad
was right), who is standing in front of me with a look of such total
disbelief that I would have previously thought impossible to display,
I was told that 18,000 rpm was a little too high an rpm for a whisk,
and that a variable speed cordless drill would have been the correct
choice of tool for this task. We were out of whipping cream at this
point, so I will have to wait until after I have a chance to go to the
store tomorrow to find out if the cordless drill works any better.
Damm, now that I think about it, it would seem like the drill press is
the way to go, then I could be just like Martha Stewart, Emeril or the
Cute short blonde lady with the bob haircut who has two shows on the
food network and have one of those big stationary Kitchen Aid looking
mixer thingies, Hmmmm.....

Live and learn.

Thanks,

David.

May you live in Interesting Times - Ancient Chinese Curse.
--snip--

-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 22:34:32 -0400, the infamous John Husvar
scrawled the following:

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

From information others have posted here, the material that Pyrex was once
made from, borosilicate, which is very resistant to heat stresses, has been
replaced by a common type of glass, and the strength and heat resistance has
been restored somewhat by tempering. But it sounds like Pyrex ain't what it
used to be.

Well, that's my something new for today.

That and Prince Rupert's Drops are mine.

I've got several glass baking dishes round the place. One for sure is
Pyrex, but it's old as the hills, so I think it is borosilicate. I've
shattered tempered auto glass and CRT fronts by heating one area and
allowing it to cool naturally. After a while cooling, BANG!

So I figured that would apply to the baking dish in question.

Agreed.

It ain't what you know that gets you in trouble: Its what you know that
just ain't so - Twain(?)

Ayup. http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/1097

-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 20:12:08 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

This glass baking tray (with a pie in it) exploded, when a electric
oven burner was turned on under it by accident (not by me). What is
interesting is that it exploded (shattered violently) all at once.

Utensils next to it were thrown to the floor by the force of the
explosion.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Glass-Baking-Tray-Explosion/

What this story underscores, besides interesting physics implications,
is that trouble often comes very unexpected.

Who the hell bakes apple pies in casserol trays?

Blasphemey!!!!!!!

Au contraire, mon ami! That was a larger dish than a simple pie
plate. Doesn't the concept "Mo fo me!" work for ya?

-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 23:09:12 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus2624
scrawled the following:

Here's an awesome webpage, a must read on the subject, from our usual
authority.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

I'll bet the phrase "scarred heavily" came from a speaking weasel
(attorney) who took up the Righteous Fight for Justice Against Lime
Glass. Feh!

WARNING: Glass can shatter. Use care around it!
'Nuff said? I think so.

-- George Bernard Shaw