Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalcrunching: '59 Chevy meets '09 Malibu

If you wish you had an old Chebby for an everyday driver, you might want to
look at this first. This is metalworking of the scary kind:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...-literally/?hp

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:50:20 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

If you wish you had an old Chebby for an everyday driver, you might want to
look at this first. This is metalworking of the scary kind:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...-literally/?hp

History channel had a show on auto companies a few years back, I
remember one of the exec's they interviewed saying the cars made
during the 50-60's were the worst cars ever, no reguard for safety,
quality or anything else either, style sold cars, nothing else
mattered. They could sell as many cars as they could make. So they
just cranked them out and shipped them to dealers.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:24:06 -0400, Randy wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:50:20 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

If you wish you had an old Chebby for an everyday driver, you might want
to look at this first. This is metalworking of the scary kind:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...-literally/?hp

History channel had a show on auto companies a few years back, I remember
one of the exec's they interviewed saying the cars made during the 50-60's
were the worst cars ever, no reguard for safety, quality or anything else
either, style sold cars, nothing else mattered. They could sell as many
cars as they could make. So they just cranked them out and shipped them
to dealers.

Of course, it never occurs to anyone to teach drivers not to drive head-on
into an approaching car. (or a bridge abutment, or whatever.)

Drunk drivers? They're just another road hazard - hasn't anyone ever heard
of "defensive driving?"

This could solve all our traffic safety problems:
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Safe-Car.gif

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
This could solve all our traffic safety problems:
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Safe-Car.gif

Reminds me of another suggestion that I read regarding how to get people
to drive more safely: instead of an air bag on/in the steering wheel,
there should be a BIG spike, pointed rearward.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Speaking of old cars, I was at the junk yard yesterday as they brought
in this older (80's ?) Chevy Caprice. It was beautiful: no rust or
dents, cloth interior without much wear. It had been "clunkered".
I.e., the engine destroyed. Broke my heart. I'm sure that it made
financial sense for the owner to clunker it, but it still hurt.

Now, one could buy it cheap & put a new engine in it, but the cost to do
that would probably exceed the market value. Sigh.

There were lots of other cars there that had been clunkered. Many very
decent looking. "Clunker", "CC", "C4C" spray painted on them.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Speaking of old cars, I was at the junk yard yesterday as they brought
in this older (80's ?) Chevy Caprice. It was beautiful: no rust or
dents, cloth interior without much wear. It had been "clunkered". I.e.,
the engine destroyed. Broke my heart. I'm sure that it made financial
sense for the owner to clunker it, but it still hurt.

Now, one could buy it cheap & put a new engine in it, but the cost to do
that would probably exceed the market value. Sigh.

There were lots of other cars there that had been clunkered. Many very
decent looking. "Clunker", "CC", "C4C" spray painted on them.

Bob

Actually you cannot buy it and put as new engine in it. There are two
things they cannot sell you off that car, the short block and the VIN.

If you need any parts for 80-90's stuff there is Lots of it out there
right now. My local yard is doing HUGE business in Wheels and Tires.

I would bet the interior parts are also in better shape than the usual
Junkyard fare.

Just avoid parts bathed in engine oil and you are golden.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:56:11 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
This could solve all our traffic safety problems:
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Safe-Car.gif

Reminds me of another suggestion that I read regarding how to get people
to drive more safely: instead of an air bag on/in the steering wheel,
there should be a BIG spike, pointed rearward.

I heard that exact same thing on teevee years ago - the guy had a Brit
or Oz accent, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Seat belts save the life of the driver, but the death rate of innocent
bystanders increases.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:56:11 -0400, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Rich Grise wrote:
This could solve all our traffic safety problems:
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Safe-Car.gif

Reminds me of another suggestion that I read regarding how to get people
to drive more safely: instead of an air bag on/in the steering wheel,
there should be a BIG spike, pointed rearward.

Oh, heavens, Bob! That's terrible. You, you _American_, you!

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.