Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Miller Blue Fire 180 Problem

A friend has the subject unit. He thinks that the circuit board has
some failed componets. The board has conformal coating so it would be
hard to find the bad device(s). The least expensive price for a board
that he has found is about $1000. Is there a more reasonable place or
does any one know who might repair these boards. The diagram calls the
board PC1 and the parts list indicates a part number, 179 437.
Thanks for any help.
Dave Foreman
Tucson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 16, 5:43*pm, Dave Foreman wrote:
A friend has the subject unit. He thinks that the circuit board has
some failed componets. The board has conformal coating so it would be
hard to find the bad device(s). The least expensive price for a board
that he has found is about $1000. Is there a more reasonable place or
does any one know who might repair these boards. The diagram calls the
board PC1 and the parts list indicates a part number, 179 437.
Thanks for any help.
Dave Foreman
Tucson

He thinks that the circuit board has some failed componets.

People always blame the part they understand least. Find a competent
tech and have him service it. It'll be cheaper than guessing.

Many conformal coatings can be stripped OK if you know what you are
doing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:43:56 -0700, Dave Foreman
wrote:

A friend has the subject unit. He thinks that the circuit board has
some failed componets. The board has conformal coating so it would be
hard to find the bad device(s). The least expensive price for a board
that he has found is about $1000. Is there a more reasonable place or
does any one know who might repair these boards. The diagram calls the
board PC1 and the parts list indicates a part number, 179 437.
Thanks for any help.
Dave Foreman
Tucson

I have received the sysmptom from the owner.
He says that the engine will bog down or even quit when he strikes an
arc.
Thanks
Dave Foreman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 18, 12:02*am, Dave Foreman wrote:

I have received the symptom from the owner.
He says that the engine will bog down or even quit when he strikes an
arc.
Thanks
Dave Foreman

Assuming this is a Gas Engine Driven Welder, I'd look at fuel/
carburation. You can't pull too much power from the welder so it looks
like the engine can't deliver power. Can he hold the butterfly open
while welding? Does that help? Or is it fuel injected in which case
check the injectors.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N Morrison wrote:

He thinks that the circuit board has some failed componets.

People always blame the part they understand least. Find a competent
tech and have him service it. It'll be cheaper than guessing.

For a moment I thought you were giving that advice to Don Foreman. Then I re-read the
headers because it seemed so wrong.

Btw, how do you strip those coatings? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stripping conformal coatings depends on the coating. I just happen to
remember, from a long time ago, that a conformal coating called "humiseal
1b-31" can be stripped with Freon TMC, for example.

"Wes" wrote in message
N Morrison wrote:

He thinks that the circuit board has some failed componets.

People always blame the part they understand least. Find a competent
tech and have him service it. It'll be cheaper than guessing.

For a moment I thought you were giving that advice to Don Foreman. Then I
re-read the
headers because it seemed so wrong.

Btw, how do you strip those coatings? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:13:36 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

N Morrison wrote:

He thinks that the circuit board has some failed componets.

People always blame the part they understand least. Find a competent
tech and have him service it. It'll be cheaper than guessing.

For a moment I thought you were giving that advice to Don Foreman. Then I re-read the
headers because it seemed so wrong.

Btw, how do you strip those coatings? Inquiring minds want to know.

Conformal coating is easily melted off with a 1,500F flame, Wes.
Quick as a bunny!

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.