Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Iggy - Any info on the cause of the hydroelectric powerplant explosion in Siberia?

Iggy,

I assume you are following the Russian-language media on the recent
disaster at the hydroelectric plant in Siberia that killed ~69 people
and wrecked the machinery hall, doing a billion dollars of damage.

The English-language media have little real information, and I'm hoping
that the Russian media has better information.

As near as I can glean, the feedwater pressure was observed to rise just
before the explosion, so I'm guessing that the turbine speed regulator
mechanism failed, allowing the turbine to be driven to bursting speed.

Or, the turbine disk developed a crack and just came apart, perhaps
triggered by a speed increase that had heretofore caused no problem.

There are also many reports that the powerplant was known to be
dangerous because of monumental lack of maintenance.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe, I will look, I was very busy with stuff, but I am interested
myself.

Igor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe, it looks like they were repairing some of the water channels
inside the dam, which broke a wall and flooded the control room.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus17616 wrote:

Joe, it looks like they were repairing some of the water channels
inside the dam, which broke a wall and flooded the control room.

That doesn't explain all the physical damage to what had been a very
strongly built building. Was the water channel broken when the turbine
went, or the other way around?

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus17616 wrote:

Joe, it looks like they were repairing some of the water channels
inside the dam, which broke a wall and flooded the control room.

That doesn't explain all the physical damage to what had been a very
strongly built building. Was the water channel broken when the turbine
went, or the other way around?

A water hammer on #2 resulted in the destruction of the rotor which
fractured the housing and threw a 900 ton piece of equipment completely off
it's mount. Water continued to flood the hall through the fractured turbine
housing and since all power was lost, the safety systems couldn't open the
safety gates. All of the afected transformers apparently blew as well and
their oil flowed from the building when emergency power came on and the
emergency discharge gates were opened manually.

That's what I got anyway.

JC

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus17616 wrote:

[...]

some more photos (i hadn't seen these yet).

wow.

http://dfilter.livejournal.com/592091.html

damn shame. terrible tragedy.

the wiki article said the one turbine blowing up caused a electric shutdown
which resulted in the other turbines that were on line to overspeed and blow
up too.
amazing.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:22:55 -0800, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus17616 wrote:

Joe, it looks like they were repairing some of the water channels
inside the dam, which broke a wall and flooded the control room.

That doesn't explain all the physical damage to what had been a very
strongly built building. Was the water channel broken when the turbine
went, or the other way around?

A water hammer on #2 resulted in the destruction of the rotor which
fractured the housing and threw a 900 ton piece of equipment completely off
it's mount. Water continued to flood the hall through the fractured turbine
housing and since all power was lost, the safety systems couldn't open the
safety gates. All of the afected transformers apparently blew as well and
their oil flowed from the building when emergency power came on and the
emergency discharge gates were opened manually.

That's what I got anyway.

JC

I wonder what was the composition of the transformer oil?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Iggy SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 9 August 17th 09 09:56 PM
Iggy - buyer for your TIG RWL Metalworking 3 November 1st 08 05:48 AM
This could have been a massive explosion [email protected] Home Repair 20 November 2nd 07 04:36 PM
Ping - Iggy.. Todd Rich Metalworking 11 October 31st 07 12:14 PM
Gas Explosion in flats. Ed Sirett UK diy 14 October 16th 07 06:56 PM