Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
No Name

Default Lathe

I bought a Logan a few years ago but had to sell it when I moved. I then
bought a 9x20 China and had such a hard time with it I was disgusted. So I
recently bought a Standard Modern Lathe made in Canada and it is a dream to
use. I only had one cutting bit to fit the lathe and had spent all my cash
on the Lathe so I was trying to get used to the lathe controls and ended up
breaking my only cutting bit so now that I got paid I am back into lathe
work. I instaled and ground the lathe bit yesterday and will start cutting
this week end. I am realy happy with my new lathe (new to me) it is a real
machine. But of course parts are expensive for it. I found a Bison 4 Jaw
chuck on ebay for about $150 less than what Enco sells one for so I picked
it up. It is a direct mount D1-4 and works just fine I checked it all over
with a interapid indicatator and run out was just fine. The D1-4 lines up
just perfect I couldnt ask for a better fit. Sure is better than a screw on
chuck but I had to figure out how to take one off and put one on had to do
some thinking about it but figured it out OK. I am making some test cuts to
get used to the lathe as in the past I only had a belt drive now I have a
gear box and it is a lot better than the old change the belt on the pully
method. I spent quite a bit on the Lathe but I figure it will last me the
rest of my life so what the hell.
Al Kimmel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

You might find this useful regarding the correct fitting of the camlock
fixings

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...4_mounting.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...4_mounting.txt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
m...
[...]

WOW! We still make something in this country!

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:42:17 -0500, wrote:

[...]

How many bits do you actually have? Need a few more?

Gunner, awash in bits

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907