Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
No Name

Default Lathe

I bought a Logan a few years ago but had to sell it when I moved. I then
bought a 9x20 China and had such a hard time with it I was disgusted. So I
recently bought a Standard Modern Lathe made in Canada and it is a dream to
use. I only had one cutting bit to fit the lathe and had spent all my cash
on the Lathe so I was trying to get used to the lathe controls and ended up
breaking my only cutting bit so now that I got paid I am back into lathe
work. I instaled and ground the lathe bit yesterday and will start cutting
this week end. I am realy happy with my new lathe (new to me) it is a real
machine. But of course parts are expensive for it. I found a Bison 4 Jaw
chuck on ebay for about $150 less than what Enco sells one for so I picked
it up. It is a direct mount D1-4 and works just fine I checked it all over
with a interapid indicatator and run out was just fine. The D1-4 lines up
just perfect I couldnt ask for a better fit. Sure is better than a screw on
chuck but I had to figure out how to take one off and put one on had to do
some thinking about it but figured it out OK. I am making some test cuts to
get used to the lathe as in the past I only had a belt drive now I have a
gear box and it is a lot better than the old change the belt on the pully
method. I spent quite a bit on the Lathe but I figure it will last me the
rest of my life so what the hell.
Al Kimmel