Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you store your raw stock?

Randy wrote:

I just made a new stock rack. Old rack had angled arms for round
stock, that was a PITA, stock would always roll together and make it a
bitch to get the peice in the middle or back out. New rack has all
level arms, with a hole drilled for a stop on the end. I hope this
works out much better.

If your arms had sheetmetal bridging them, any length stock could be held. Our tool room
has that sort of racking

Open arms is more of a production style rack, imho. Whatever won't fit on the production
rack gets put on the scrap cart and when we clean up the shop, it gets dumped. At some
point short bits of metal are clutter in a manufacturing facility. 5S stuff.

My hobby storage is just a wooden box with the open end turned on a side. I just put the
drops in. Nothing is more than 12" long and the box was 12" deep when I turned it on its
side.

Longer stock is in the shipping tubes, stuck between studs in the gar^h^h^hshop.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller