Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Baldor Electric plant photo

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/01/bu...n.html?_r=1&hp

I have to admit that, by looking at this photo, I do not recognize any
parts at all and have never seen them as parts of electric motors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 08:18:31 -0500, Ignoramus28480 wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/01/bu...n.html?_r=1&hp

I have to admit that, by looking at this photo, I do not recognize any
parts at all and have never seen them as parts of electric motors.

I imagine that the large flat disks are blanks for
motor shells, that will be deep-drawn in a later step.

OT - Another article has a picture of a statue in Tsonjin Boldog.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/03/world/asia/03genghis.html
says "A 131-foot-tall statue of Genghis Khan and his horse, in
stainless steel, sits atop the Mongolian steppe..." and "... 250
tons of gleaming stainless steel. Visitors can even take an elevator
and emerge from between his legs to gaze at the lush Mongolian steppe
from a deck atop his steeds head."

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote in
:

I imagine that the large flat disks are blanks for
motor shells, that will be deep-drawn in a later step.

I've never seen a common production motor with a drawn housing. Rolled and
welded, or rolled with a row of tabs in pockets like a puzzle piece, or
cast.

My guess based on the gauge and proportions is that these discs are going
to be stamped into fan shrouds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-03, Charles U Farley wrote:
James Waldby wrote in
:

I imagine that the large flat disks are blanks for
motor shells, that will be deep-drawn in a later step.

I've never seen a common production motor with a drawn housing. Rolled and
welded, or rolled with a row of tabs in pockets like a puzzle piece, or
cast.

My guess based on the gauge and proportions is that these discs are going
to be stamped into fan shrouds.

Then they would be round, not square, no?

The square discs may be stamped into endbells for square shaped
motors, like DC motors and servos and such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The square discs may be stamped into endbells for square shaped
motors, like DC motors and servos and such.

Or potentially into the motor wire box for the smalelr ones...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Or you could all be wrong and the plant is doing contract work for
another company like Caterpiller, etc.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Both rotors and stators are made up of laminations of relatively thin steel
(sheetmetal).
At some point in production, the individual sections of the laminations for
both rotors and stators would be disk-shaped.
The internal fans on TEFC totally enclosed fan cooled motors may be
fabrcated from steel disks. Generally, the external fans on small (under 10
HP) TEFC models are plastic, IME.

Some time when a motor is apart, notice that the stack of disks of the rotor
are arranged in a helix-like pattern.
A circle of holes arranged around the center/shaft hole go from end-to-end
thru a rotor to provide cooling air paths with air passing thru the rotor.

Some of the orange painted stacks (foreground of picher) include round disks
that have a circle of punched holes around the center hole (almost looks
like a screw-on oil filter base plate), are fairly regularly seen as rotor
laminations in common AC induction motors.

Thicker mostly square plates could be formed into the foot/base plate that's
typically welded to the cylindrical case section.

I don't recall seeing square case Baldor motors, but I have seen quite a few
Reliance industrial motors with square cases, hence the stator laminations
outer dimensions were square shaped.

What seems odd to me is that so much material, layed out the way it is in
the pitcher, all needs human handling.
I wonder if this area isn't just for custom motor orders.
Human handling/manipulation (picking, sorting, counting, placing etc) from
point-to-point and so on, shouldn't be required for normal production.

BTW, the picture caption doesn't expressly state that motors are being made
in the St. Louis plant, but I suppose it's a fair guess.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ignoramus28480" wrote in message
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/01/bu...n.html?_r=1&hp

I have to admit that, by looking at this photo, I do not recognize any
parts at all and have never seen them as parts of electric motors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/01/bu...n.html?_r=1&hp

I have to admit that, by looking at this photo, I do not recognize any
parts at all and have never seen them as parts of electric motors.

Me either.

Stock photos run by a leftwing media organization are often either
forged, or of something else altogether.

Their readers are so stupid or oblivious that anything works.

Good catch!!!

Gunner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907