Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gear making (was Calling All Machinists)

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:34:43 -0500, Ignoramus24381
wrote:
snip
This, from my point of view, can be addressed with a perl script
running on a laptop. It could tell me how many turns to make, etc.
Something along the lines of what I did with "Egyptian CNC". Ergo, the
laptop could say "turn the handle 3 times and stop at XX.XXX".

snip
One of the major problems is that the rotary tables tend to be
calibrated in degrees-minutes-seconds while the spreadsheet will
calculate in decimal degrees.

If you will send me a good email address i will send a excel
program that calculates the decimal degrees for a given number of
teeth and then translates those decimal degrees into
degrees-minutes-and seconds [rounded to my rotary tables seconds
resolution]. If anyone else wants a copy of the spreadsheet send
me a good email address.

I went ahead and bought the index plate set w/ arms, after I got
the rotary table and now have a dividing head.

The spreadsheet is currently set-up for a 127 tooth gear [exact
metric change gear] but can be adapted to any number of teeth.
Note that even the dividing heads with the index plates have
problems cutting the larger prime number[100] gears such as 127.
Some of the very expensive dividing heads allow split or divided
indexing using 2 index plates, but this appears to be a royal
pain.

For our readers on a tight budget, you can download an excel
compatable spreadsheet from openoffice for free.
http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html
I just checked using my copy of openoffice 2.0 and calc opens the
spreadsheet but you may need to reset column width.

One trick is to use a slitting or slitting saw to remove most of
the material before you switch to the gear cutter.

Good luck with your gear cutting and let the group know what you
learn.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
snip
This, from my point of view, can be addressed with a perl script
running on a laptop. It could tell me how many turns to make, etc.
Something along the lines of what I did with "Egyptian CNC". Ergo, the
laptop could say "turn the handle 3 times and stop at XX.XXX".

snip
One of the major problems is that the rotary tables tend to be
calibrated in degrees-minutes-seconds while the spreadsheet will
calculate in decimal degrees.

Well, if I write a script, I can convert decimal degrees into minutes
and seconds, no problem.

# Untested

my $angle = calculateAngleInDegrees( ... ... ... );
my $degrees = int( angle );
my $minutes = int( ($angle - $degrees) * 60);
my $seconds = int( ($angle - $degrees - $minutes*60)*60 );

print "Turn handle to $degrees degrees, $minutes minutes, $seconds seconds.\n";

If you will send me a good email address i will send a excel
program that calculates the decimal degrees for a given number of
teeth and then translates those decimal degrees into
degrees-minutes-and seconds [rounded to my rotary tables seconds
resolution]. If anyone else wants a copy of the spreadsheet send
me a good email address.

I went ahead and bought the index plate set w/ arms, after I got
the rotary table and now have a dividing head.

The spreadsheet is currently set-up for a 127 tooth gear [exact
metric change gear] but can be adapted to any number of teeth.
Note that even the dividing heads with the index plates have
problems cutting the larger prime number[100] gears such as 127.
Some of the very expensive dividing heads allow split or divided
indexing using 2 index plates, but this appears to be a royal
pain.

George, I like messing with scripts, so while I greatly appreciate the
spreadsheet offer, I would like to try to use my own scripts.

For our readers on a tight budget, you can download an excel
compatable spreadsheet from openoffice for free.
http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html
I just checked using my copy of openoffice 2.0 and calc opens the
spreadsheet but you may need to reset column width.

OpenOffice is awesome, I use it all the time, though less now with
Google Docs. I have a spreadsheet in google docs that calculates my
exact net worth based on prices of stocks and mutual funds that I own
etc. The function that they provide for it is called GoogleFinance.

One trick is to use a slitting or slitting saw to remove most of
the material before you switch to the gear cutter.

Good luck with your gear cutting and let the group know what you
learn.

I will definitely try. Thanks for the encouragement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
snip
This, from my point of view, can be addressed with a perl script
running on a laptop. It could tell me how many turns to make, etc.
Something along the lines of what I did with "Egyptian CNC". Ergo, the
laptop could say "turn the handle 3 times and stop at XX.XXX".

snip
One of the major problems is that the rotary tables tend to be
calibrated in degrees-minutes-seconds while the spreadsheet will
calculate in decimal degrees.

If you will send me a good email address i will send a excel
program that calculates the decimal degrees for a given number of
teeth and then translates those decimal degrees into
degrees-minutes-and seconds [rounded to my rotary tables seconds
resolution]. If anyone else wants a copy of the spreadsheet send
me a good email address.

I'm sure that Iggy can do that in perl. It is a full strength
interpreted programming language with features from just about any
language around rolled into it. It probably already has libraries for
converting decimal degrees to Degrees/Minutes/Seconds. There are an
amazing number of libraries already available for it.

But, at least for me -- I have a proper diving head with the
index plates and the arms.

I went ahead and bought the index plate set w/ arms, after I got
the rotary table and now have a dividing head.

Good.

The spreadsheet is currently set-up for a 127 tooth gear [exact
metric change gear] but can be adapted to any number of teeth.
Note that even the dividing heads with the index plates have
problems cutting the larger prime number[100] gears such as 127.
Some of the very expensive dividing heads allow split or divided
indexing using 2 index plates, but this appears to be a royal
pain.

For our readers on a tight budget, you can download an excel
compatable spreadsheet from openoffice for free.
http://www.openoffice.org/product/calc.html

Or StarOffice, which comes with Sun's Solaris 10 OS. Sun calls
it StarOffice, the rest of the world OpenOffice, but pretty much the
same code.

I just checked using my copy of openoffice 2.0 and calc opens the
spreadsheet but you may need to reset column width.

One trick is to use a slitting or slitting saw to remove most of
the material before you switch to the gear cutter.

And he has an interesting collection of slitting saws with
everything else.

Good luck with your gear cutting and let the group know what you
learn.

Indeed so,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Home Shop Machinists ferd Metalworking 0 June 27th 09 09:46 AM
Making a brass gear RicodJour Woodworking 1 October 2nd 07 01:40 AM
Gear hobber gear train set-up Mark Maglana Metalworking 7 August 26th 05 02:01 AM
A Machinists Art Lane Metalworking 8 March 4th 05 01:39 AM
making sliding door gear Paper2002AD UK diy 2 April 16th 04 06:35 PM