Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coolant vs. cutting oil/lube

Joe's recent thread about his dribble cooling for his lathe reminds me
of questions that I have.

1. What is the purpose of cooling? Does the tool get so hot without it
that the edge is dulled? I thought HSS & especially carbide could stand
the temperatures created by HSM work.

2. What is the purpose of cutting oil? I remember reading that it
allowed chips to flow off the cutting edge more easily. Is that it?

3. Does choice of cooling or lube depend upon the tool (lathe, mill,
drill press, band saw), or material? Or both? I'd like to fill in the
chart (my guesses shown):

Mild Cast Tool*
Steel Iron Steel Alum Brass

Lathe ? D ? ? D

Mill ? D ? ? D

Drill ? D ? K D
press

Band W D ? ? D
saw

C = coolant
L = lube
D = dry
K = kerosene or equiv
W = wax

* - actually I don't care about Tool Steel, as I never use it. It's
included for completeness

Thanks,
Bob

lube for gas oven jp Home Repair 6 January 23rd 09 11:08 PM
bio-friendly cutting lube ? Dar[_2_] Metalworking 1 August 15th 08 02:00 AM
Cutting brass with a coolant Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 13 June 9th 08 05:46 PM
Coolant/cutting oil on manual lathe Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 11 February 1st 06 10:53 PM
Where Coolant? Dave Metalworking 1 June 4th 05 04:55 PM