Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Resurfacing Brushed Stainless

How easy is it to resurface a brushed stainless steel sheet? The product I
want to resurface has some scratches from use and I would like to know how
easily those scratches could be taken out by rebrushing the surface. I'm
thinking that a scotch-brite pad or sandpaper would simply introduce uneven
scratches and not retain the straight evenly detailed brushing effect as on
new metal. Is there a device used for this purpose that gives a better
result?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:16:32 -0700, "W"
wrote:

How easy is it to resurface a brushed stainless steel sheet? The product I
want to resurface has some scratches from use and I would like to know how
easily those scratches could be taken out by rebrushing the surface. I'm
thinking that a scotch-brite pad or sandpaper would simply introduce uneven
scratches and not retain the straight evenly detailed brushing effect as on
new metal. Is there a device used for this purpose that gives a better
result?

What exactly are we talking about refinishing? It'll be pretty
difficult to remove scratches and restore the original finish over a
large area without the proper equipment. If your piece has flat
surfaces and is not too unwieldy, and depending on how closely you
want the repair to match, the easiest thing might be to bring it to a
shop that fabricates commercial kitchen equipment. They'll have a
couple ways to produce a uniform brushed finish, depending on the
shape and size of the workpiece.

If you're not too fussy, try the scotch-brite. For more
scratch-removing power, and more potential to make things worse rather
than better, a fine flap wheel.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Where would one find a list of such shops?

What is the name of the equipment such shops use to brush stainless?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"W" wrote in message
How easy is it to resurface a brushed stainless steel sheet? The product
I want to resurface has some scratches from use and I would like to know
how easily those scratches could be taken out by rebrushing the surface.
I'm thinking that a scotch-brite pad or sandpaper would simply introduce
uneven scratches and not retain the straight evenly detailed brushing
effect as on new metal. Is there a device used for this purpose that
gives a better result?

This is how it's done. Not easily reproducible on a small scale.
http://www.spiralbrushes.com/cylinder.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:24:02 -0700, "W"
wrote:

Where would one find a list of such shops?

Here are two fabricators I use that do this sort of work.
http://www.serviceplussheetmetal.com/
http://www.prescottmetal.com/

You should be able to find similar business near you he
http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.htm...ading=95900767

What is the name of the equipment such shops use to brush stainless?

A stroke sander or a Timesaver would probably be the top choices,
depending on the size and shape of the piece. Google will find you
pictures if you're curious.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How easy is it to resurface a brushed stainless steel sheet? The product I
want to resurface has some scratches from use and I would like to know how
easily those scratches could be taken out by rebrushing the surface. I'm
thinking that a scotch-brite pad or sandpaper would simply introduce uneven
scratches and not retain the straight evenly detailed brushing effect as on
new metal. Is there a device used for this purpose that gives a better
result?

Scotchbrite of the right "grit" does the job.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

A good friend of mine is a stainless fabricator and he "hand brushes"
all the welds to match the original sheets with scotchbrite. He grinds
and sands the weld to get smooth - down to 600 or 1000 grit wetsand,
then strokes with scotchbrite.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:54:08 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

wrote in
:

wrote:

How easy is it to resurface a brushed stainless steel sheet? The
product I want to resurface has some scratches from use and I would
like to know how easily those scratches could be taken out by
rebrushing the surface. I'm thinking that a scotch-brite pad or
sandpaper would simply introduce uneven scratches and not retain the
straight evenly detailed brushing effect as on new metal. Is there a
device used for this purpose that gives a better result?

Scotchbrite of the right "grit" does the job.

One of the things that is difficult when doing this by hand is getting a
nice straight brush pattern. You can't scrub back & forth, you have to
always go in one direction. Even the act of pushing a Scotchbrite pad
down on the work will cause little swirly scratches where the pad flexes
sideways. You need to be moving the pad in the desired driection as you
apply pressure. The next time I need to do this, I'm going to try one of
the circular Scotchbrite pads in a rotary tool like a hand drill. I
suspect you'll still need to be careful to always work in the direction
you want the brush marks. I doubt you can just move the contact area
around even with the drill going fairly fast without introducing swirly
marks. Of course, a lot depends on how fussy you are & the application.

Doug White

Hmmm. Do they make Scotchbrite drums?

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-21, Pete Keillor wrote:

[ ... ]

Hmmm. Do they make Scotchbrite drums?

How about Scotchbrite flap wheels?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

This is how it's done. Not easily reproducible on a small scale.
http://www.spiralbrushes.com/cylinder.html

Plugging a competitor?

Wee
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller