Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT DTV channel lookup

If you still happen to be struggling with the DTV change...

You can do some simple station lookup he

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cdbs/cdbs_docs/dtv_search.cfm

It may help you figure out what the station calls itself and
what RF frequency they are suppose to be on.

Lots of fun yesterday around here when some stations had
their temporary DTV and new permanent DTV channels
broadcasting at the same time.

On our converter box (Digital Stream) in the Menu-Channel
Edit area you can see both the station ID and RF channel
info.

Huge boondoggle in my opinion, but they didn't ask me about
it. Too busy counting up all the money bid for the vacated
frequencies...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 13, 3:45*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
Huge boondoggle in my opinion, but they didn't ask me about
it. Too busy counting up all the money bid for the vacated
frequencies...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Around here many of them are reverting to their original upper VHF
frequency. It looks like all that was freed up was VHF-lo and UHF
above 700 MHz.

My car door opener transmits at ~350MHz, on the nominally military
band from 225 to 400MHz.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jun 13, 3:45 pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
Huge boondoggle in my opinion, but they didn't ask me about
it. Too busy counting up all the money bid for the vacated
frequencies...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Around here many of them are reverting to their original upper VHF
frequency. It looks like all that was freed up was VHF-lo and UHF
above 700 MHz.

Hmm. We've got a mix of options here (Seattle, WA) some stations are
going back to their VHF-LO spots (KOMO 4) and others are hanging on to
their new UHF locations. KING 5 is staying on RF channel 48.

It appears that, other than the upper-most UHF frequencies (70 and up),
nothing has been saved.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Just an armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 13, 3:45*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:

On our converter box (Digital Stream) in the Menu-Channel
Edit area you can see both the station ID and RF channel
info.

Huge boondoggle in my opinion, but they didn't ask me about
it. Too busy counting up all the money bid for the vacated
frequencies...

Just for ****s & giggles, I built one of those "coathanger" antennas
(just google "coathanger dtv antenna") Works great. Even if you bought
all the parts (I had everything in my junk box), it would cost less
than ten bucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 10:01*am, rangerssuck wrote:

Just for ****s & giggles, I built one of those "coathanger" antennas
(just google "coathanger dtv antenna") Works great. Even if you bought
all the parts (I had everything in my junk box), it would cost less
than ten bucks.

My UHF "HDTV" antenna is two 6" aluminum standoffs jammed into the
ends of a short plastic hose. It will pick up a VHF station about 20
miles away with few dropouts.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 12:13*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:01*am, rangerssuck wrote:

Just for ****s & giggles, I built one of those "coathanger" antennas
(just google "coathanger dtv antenna") Works great. Even if you bought
all the parts (I had everything in my junk box), it would cost less
than ten bucks.

My UHF "HDTV" antenna is two 6" aluminum standoffs jammed into the
ends of a short plastic hose. It will pick up a VHF station about 20
miles away with few dropouts.

jsw

Yeah, I did pretty well with just a couple of feet of wire stuck in
the antenna jack (some people say the do OK with just an unbent paper
clip), but a half hour with a ruler, wire cutters and screw gun, and
my lowest signal strength is 74 out of 100, on 45 channels, with no
dropouts.

I know for sure, that there are differences in the sensitivty of
various tuners, and some require more antenna than others, but given
the simplicity of this design, I can't see ever paying for an antenna.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:12:42 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

snip
Lotsa luck figuring out the FCC form. You have to enter so much information to get it to work -
that you don't need it.

You don't have to fill in everything, just one item and hit
return. The more blanks you fill in, the more precise the
answer though...

From what I can figure out after checking my local stations
though is that the listings give the old temporary DTV
channel. Take that back, someone must have noticed the
error. It looks like they have the new permanent DTV
frequencies listed today. On both Saturday and Sunday they
were still showing the old temp channels.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b