Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default motor controller question

I've managed to blow up a small DC motor and controller board. Yeah! I
know.
But brain wasn't in gear...!! :-(

The motor was shunt wound, fractional HP.

I have a shunt wound replacement board, but not the right kind of
motor.

The usual combination of the wrong gearing or something.

Question is can I hack a shunt wound board so as to drive a
series wound motor?

I case it helps, the board is a Penta Power KBIC board. I've
considered contacting the manufacturer but I don't think that
anyone at the company would want to encourage me to hack
up their boards.

Tanks for any help.

DOC

Buy my junk...
http://www3.sympatico.ca/doc/robotone/for-sale.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I've managed to blow up a small DC motor and controller board. Yeah! I
know.
But brain wasn't in gear...!! :-(

The motor was shunt wound, fractional HP.

I have a shunt wound replacement board, but not the right kind of
motor.

The usual combination of the wrong gearing or something.

Question is can I hack a shunt wound board so as to drive a
series wound motor?

I case it helps, the board is a Penta Power KBIC board. I've
considered contacting the manufacturer but I don't think that
anyone at the company would want to encourage me to hack
up their boards.

Tanks for any help.

DOC

so, why not repair the controller? generally the triacs (or SCRs) take the
fall, maybe a driver or two

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 1:11*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

I don't think you need to hack anything. Connect the motor to the
armature terminals on the KBIC and ignore the field connections, which
is the way you connect a PM motor to a KBIC. The speed regulation will
be awful to non-existent, but that'll be true of a series wound motor
any way you connect it, unless you have some sort of feedback.

I did try this but the motor barely turned. And the voltage reading
across
the terminals was almost nill.

By the way, KB supplies troubleshooting and repair directions for
their drives. If one fails, it's more often than not the output SCRs.

Haven't blown one up yet. Maybe that's the next step! :-)

Tanks,
DOC

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 10:03*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:

so, why not repair the controller? *generally the triacs (or SCRs) take the
fall, maybe a driver or two

That was plan A. But I had some spare Penta Power boards. And since
this project
has been weighing upon me for TOO long now...

Tanks,
DOC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uh... Brain disfunction again!!

I've got one of each.

KBIC 240 DS and
KBIC 240 D

DOC

On Jun 4, 6:51*am, Mark F wrote:

How about a DC treadmill motor - and, what model KBIC?
/mark in BC

If I can find one. Gonna take a look at a lawn mower motor. Also
if I can find one.