Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What does the arrow mean on my blade for power hack saw

I wonder if I installed the saw blade in the wrong direction. It does have
an arrow on the blade. What direction is that arrow suppose to point on this
power hack saw.....Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:04:33 -0700, PeterM wrote:

I wonder if I installed the saw blade in the wrong direction. It does
have an arrow on the blade. What direction is that arrow suppose to
point on this power hack saw.....Peter

Is it a reciprocating power hacksaw, or a bandsaw, and does it
have a make and model number? For the following bandsaw,
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93762
the bit of blade visible in the picture moves left to right; set
the blade so the teeth dig in as it moves: \|\|\| --
If the teeth seem to be backwards, turn the band inside out.

For reciprocating hacksaws, the ones I've seen cut on the push
stroke, lifting the saw a little on the return, IIRC.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It definitely is a power hack saw, and not a band saw. It is a saw sold by
Sears 108.1502. Super quality, I can't remember the name of the company that
made it. So maybe that arrow pointing to the front means the direction of
the cutting stroke. It makes sense to me....I appreciate your help very
much......Peter

"James Waldby" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:04:33 -0700, PeterM wrote:

I wonder if I installed the saw blade in the wrong direction. It does
have an arrow on the blade. What direction is that arrow suppose to
point on this power hack saw.....Peter

Is it a reciprocating power hacksaw, or a bandsaw, and does it
have a make and model number? For the following bandsaw,
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93762
the bit of blade visible in the picture moves left to right; set
the blade so the teeth dig in as it moves: \|\|\| --
If the teeth seem to be backwards, turn the band inside out.

For reciprocating hacksaws, the ones I've seen cut on the push
stroke, lifting the saw a little on the return, IIRC.

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I wonder if I installed the saw blade in the wrong direction. It does have
an arrow on the blade. What direction is that arrow suppose to point on this
power hack saw.....Peter

OTOH the power hacksaw in the shop at school cuts on the forward
stroke. Some careful observation should reveal which way your machine
is meant to work.

Errol Groff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On the power hacksaws that I've seen, which is only a few, the blade is
raised for the return stroke so the blade teeth aren't dragged backwards
cross the workpiece.

If your saw has this motion where the blade kicks up for the return stroke,
the arrow should be pointing in the opposite direction of the return stroke.

The arrow on the blade should indicate the direction which the cutting
action takes place.

Testing the cutting action can be done with a piece of wood without harming
the blade.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"PeterM" wrote in message
I wonder if I installed the saw blade in the wrong direction. It does have
an arrow on the blade. What direction is that arrow suppose to point on
this power hack saw.....Peter

craigslist power hack saw.. Bob in Phx Metalworking 3 January 12th 09 10:10 PM
racine power hack saw [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 9th 09 08:56 AM
HSS power hack saw blades greenman Woodturning 3 June 8th 06 09:11 PM
Power rake blade twfsa Home Repair 1 September 12th 05 09:23 PM
Arrow Fan Oven Problem Since Power Cut Darren Forward UK diy 5 December 30th 04 01:23 PM