Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping "Jim Pentagrid" . .

Jim,

Please accept my thanks for your recent explanation re. the finer points of reversing 3-phase motors
connected across a single-phase source.
Although, I have studied rotary phase convertors for quite some time, the details of reversing had
not occurred to me in any significant measure until reading your RCM posts of 5-18 and 5-19.

The "torque-current-inertia" aspects of reversing had gone completely over my head. It had never
occurred to me that they worked in concert; that it was possible to reverse any other motor in a
network other than the one that had its single-phase terminals swapped.

Thanks again Jim for your very learned, concise and insightful treatment of "back to basics" re.
reversing motors in rotary phase convertors.

A secondary thanks to Iggy for opening the thread that lead to my epiphany.

Very best regards,

Bob Swinney