Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default water tank design

"The Kid" is on a rolling layoff, so I'm hiring him to do the fabrication on
my 6' by 10' plasma cutter. We're building a water tank 16" high by 6' by
10'. Our question, how thick a steel do we need to prevent the water
pressure from severely deforming the tank. The main issue is, of course, the
bottom and it would be no big deal to put in a reinforcing angle iron every
two feet.

"The Kid" thinks 0.070" or 14 gauge should be enough. I'm leaning toward
0.100" or 11guage to be sure. Any way to know?

Second question, if we weld every inch of every seam it will warp for sure.
I'd like to just stitch weld it and then use some sort of sealer/filler to
prevent leaks. What would work here?

Karl