Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to extract set screw?

Usual Suspect wrote:

Deep in a large machine (offset printing press) an allen set screw holds a
shaft in a casting. The set screw is also locked in place with a lock nut
(the screw protrudes from the casting enough to fit the nut).

The allen wrench is 2.5mm and the lock nut is 10mm so the diameter of the
screw is probably 6mm (1/4 inch)...

I removed the nut but the allen wrench (a new one) is slipping in the screw.
How do I go about removing this? Access is only head-on (no side room for
vice-grips or such). The environment is one where lubricating oil is
literally raining on these parts so the "blue flame wrench" solution is out.

I'd look at what imperial size fits and try driving that in. On cnc's, I'll use the
turret to hold my breaker bar tight into the screw using the chuck to hold it in from
camming out.

Is your allen camming out?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Extract fan motor pgc2004 Electronics Repair 1 March 24th 06 12:13 AM
How to extract a metal pin from MDF panel miamicuse Woodworking 8 December 29th 05 02:25 PM
Loovent Extract Fan dave smith UK diy 3 November 24th 05 11:00 AM
Need an idea for an extract grill Rick Hughes UK diy 7 July 8th 04 11:11 PM
Bathroom extract fan problem [email protected] UK diy 0 November 3rd 03 10:16 AM