Posted to rec.woodworking
miamicuse

Default How to extract a metal pin from MDF panel

I have a modular bookshelf that is made of MDF panels with an aluminum
joint. The joint is an "X" shaped joint and it's embedded into four pieces
of MDL wood panels as shown in this pictu

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...lf3_center.jpg

The aluminum joint has a few "pins" that bites into the grooves. When I
removed these joints a few pins were broken off and got stucked inside the
circular holes the pins were in. I tried drilling and the drill bit will
not penetrate into the pin. Any idea how I can extract the broken off pins
seated deep and tight?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:09:24 -0500, "miamicuse"
wrote:

I have a modular bookshelf that is made of MDF panels with an aluminum
joint. The joint is an "X" shaped joint and it's embedded into four pieces
of MDL wood panels as shown in this pictu

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...lf3_center.jpg

The aluminum joint has a few "pins" that bites into the grooves. When I
removed these joints a few pins were broken off and got stucked inside the
circular holes the pins were in. I tried drilling and the drill bit will
not penetrate into the pin. Any idea how I can extract the broken off pins
seated deep and tight?

Remove enough of the MDF around the pin to get some vise grips or
pliers on it. You can use the drill to drill next to the pin on 2
sides.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:09:24 -0500, "miamicuse" wrote:

I have a modular bookshelf that is made of MDF panels with an aluminum
joint. The joint is an "X" shaped joint and it's embedded into four pieces
of MDL wood panels as shown in this pictu

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...lf3_center.jpg

The aluminum joint has a few "pins" that bites into the grooves. When I
removed these joints a few pins were broken off and got stucked inside the
circular holes the pins were in. I tried drilling and the drill bit will
not penetrate into the pin. Any idea how I can extract the broken off pins
seated deep and tight?

Thanks,

MC

If you have an old plug cutter, use it to cut a circle around the broken pin to
get "gripping room" and yank the sucker out with vice-grips...
If not, try sharpening a short piece of 1/4" or 3/8" pipe and chucking it in
your drill.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

wrote:

I have a modular bookshelf that is made of MDF panels with an aluminum
joint. The joint is an "X" shaped joint and it's embedded into four pieces
of MDL wood panels as shown in this pictu

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...lf3_center.jpg

The aluminum joint has a few "pins" that bites into the grooves. When I
removed these joints a few pins were broken off and got stucked inside the
circular holes the pins were in. I tried drilling and the drill bit will
not penetrate into the pin. Any idea how I can extract the broken off pins
seated deep and tight?

Remove enough of the MDF around the pin to get some vise grips or
pliers on it. You can use the drill to drill next to the pin on 2
sides.

-Leuf

I have a pointy-nosed pair of small ViseGrips for just that purpose.
Works well.
Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"miamicuse" wrote:

I have a modular bookshelf that is made of MDF panels with an aluminum
joint. The joint is an "X" shaped joint and it's embedded into four pieces
of MDL wood panels as shown in this pictu

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...lf3_center.jpg

The aluminum joint has a few "pins" that bites into the grooves. When I
removed these joints a few pins were broken off and got stucked inside the
circular holes the pins were in. I tried drilling and the drill bit will
not penetrate into the pin. Any idea how I can extract the broken off pins
seated deep and tight?

Thanks,

MC

If your drill bit won't penetrate aluminum, I'd suggest that you need
another drill bit. Just a cheap high-speed twist drill (assuming you
are using a power drill) should penetrate aluminum rather easily.

If the problem is that the drill keeps slipping off the aluminum and
drilling the softer MDF in which the pin is held, make a guide for the
drill out of some scrap material. Drill through the scrap, using the
same bit you want to drill out the pin with. Then align the hole in
this scrap with the pin and clamp it to your workpiece. Then if you go
easy, it should prevent sideways movement of the bit until you can get
it started in the aluminum.

Posted to rec.woodworking
miamicuse

Thanks for all the information so far. I felt I did not do a good job of
describing the situation so it's a bit tricky. I took more pictures so
hopefully will have a better idea what we are dealing with.

The shelf, when fully assembled, looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...lf3_center.jpg

Each aluminum joint is either a "L" (corner), "T" (top or bottom) or "X"
(interior). For example, a "T" joint looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/hardware.JPG

See how one side where I have a red circle? the pin broke from that one.

The shelf panels look like this at the corner, where these joints are to be
"embedded". Here is an image of a corner where the hole is fine.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...oleexposed.JPG

Here is a panel where the hole is jammed with a broken off pin. The hole
itself is seated deep into the groove.

When I tried to drill, it did not even make a dent. The groove is narrow so
it's hard to get a vice grip in there.

MC

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"miamicuse" wrote:

Those pics helped.

When I tried to drill, it did not even make a dent. The groove is narrow so
it's hard to get a vice grip in there.

I still can't figure that one out. It looks like a clean break, so
that you don't have a slanted surface that the drill slides off of.
Seems that a bit somewhat smaller than the rod, combined a screw
extractor might be able to get it out.

I'd take a cordless drill and one of the already broken joint plates
to a hardware store and ask for a bit that will drill this stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

miamicuse wrote:
[...]

I doubt if you will have much luck drilling the metal pin. It is smooth
and once the drill bit bites it will more than likely just spin in it's
hole. Perhaps a pair of long pointy nose pliers will do the trick. Place
the tips on either side of the broken pin and give them a couple of taps
with a hammer to sit so that they sink into the MDF a bit. Then grasp
the pin and gently work it out. By looking at the joint design, a little
damage inside the groove isn't going to effect the strength or aesthetics.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:20:46 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"miamicuse" quickly quoth:

The shelf panels look like this at the corner, where these joints are to be
"embedded". Here is an image of a corner where the hole is fine.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...oleexposed.JPG

Here is a panel where the hole is jammed with a broken off pin. The hole
itself is seated deep into the groove.

When I tried to drill, it did not even make a dent.

Did you center-punch it first? What's the metal, aluminum, potmetal,
or steel? All should be readily drillable. Get a new 1/8" dia. -long-
drill bit.

The groove is narrow so it's hard to get a vice grip in there.

If that were mine, I'd take a 1/8" chisel and cut the MDF away
from a portion of the sides of the pin and use my longest pair of
needle nose pliers to twist and pry the pin out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=33202
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38598

CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)