Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop lights (fluorescent)

I bought an inexpensive 4' T8 dual tube light at home depot, they still sell it, 19.99
with an electronic ballast. Well, it crapped out a couple days ago, actually it was
flaky as in sensitive to temperature for a couple weeks. It lived a week short of 4
years.

I ripped it apart, ohmed out the pre heat filaments in tubes and googled the ballast
manufacturer. Sunpark, SL25CW, a 6 dollar ballast. Looking for other replacements had me
in the 20-30 buck range. Sunpark would mail order me a unit for about 17 bucks when you
figured shiping.

So I stopped by HD, the only show near where I work and looked for ballasts, I found a GE
model on sale for 15 bucks. Longer, heavier, likely better. Noticed the light I have is
still available for 19.95, likely with the same ballast.

I went for the GE. Might as well limit solid waste going to the dump. I recycled the
lighting unit.

Tonight, I realized that there is a lot I don't know about ballasts. The old one used the
filaments to preheat. This one had three wires going out. One side of the two tubes have
all pins wired together, the other side has a wire from the ballast going to each of the
two pins paralleled together.

I did the google and the wiki thing. Looks like the filaments don't have to be heated to
start the light. That simplistic wiring diagram was giving me pause.

I learned something today.

Wes
--

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.