Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - 95 percent of guns seized at scenes of drug violence inMexico to U.S. sources

Gerald "Brick" Brickwood wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

North of the border, however, the cartels simply pay straw buyers to
pick up weapons at gun shops, gun shows or flea markets, then resell
the arms to smugglers.

The ATF says it has traced up to 95 percent of guns seized at scenes
of drug violence in Mexico to U.S. commercial sources. These weapons
are increasingly higher-powered, including .50 caliber Barrett rifles
and ammunition that can pierce the armor of Mexican soldiers and
police.

"A year ago, we never saw those guns going south into Mexico," said
Tom Mangan, a spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives. "Now we refer to it as one of the weapons of
choice."

Snipped to save bandwidth

So answer this please since there is a big difference between 95% of all
weapons and 95% of TRACED weapons. Just how many weapons did BATFE
sieze in MEXICO and how many of those did they trace? How many weapons
especially RPGs and grenades have been traced to other sources? Other
sources such as crooked Mexican police or military personnel black
marketing thier own gear.

No other country that I know of traces guns to the extent we do.