Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default brass to glass - best adhesive

"K Ludger" wrote in message

wrote in message
I need some advice on adhering glass drawer knobs to brass knob
posts. They are frosted glass knobs epoxied on to brass posts. The
fit between the knobs and posts is not perfect, so I need a glue that
is gap-filling.

I have been using some 5-minute epoxy, but it doesn't seem to work all
that well on the glass, as the knobs pull apart after a while, leaving
the epoxy on the brass. I want to machine the old epoxy off the posts
so I will have a purely glass-to-brass joint.

Any suggestions for a gap-filling adhesive for glass to brass?

Real, slow cure araldite / epoxy is much stronger than the 5 minute
version.

Seconded.

Some urethanes - sika - may be useful.

Seconded. Even some moisture-cure polyurethanes are good gap-fillers. The
ones marketed in the US as "Gorilla Glue" and "Elmer's Polyurethane"
(they're almost identical) combine very good adhesion with some foaming that
fills gaps.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"K Ludger" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

They are great for woods - but...

I'd not try the polyurethanes for something like this.
They make a horrid mess.
Then there is the differing expansion rates issue.

If this is something that must look presentable I's stick with
the original Sika Flex 252 (pun unavoidable).

A much more flexible bond that can resist the expansion shear.

http://www.sikaindustry.com/ipd-transoem-transprod

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:38:05 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"K Ludger" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Seka makes at least two adhesives to glue glass and plastic to metals,
wood, plastics, etc. 295 UV is the one for Plexiglas and there is
another for glass.

Or the guys down tha car window place :-)
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"K Ludger" wrote in message

wrote in message
I need some advice on adhering glass drawer knobs to brass knob
posts. They are frosted glass knobs epoxied on to brass posts. The
fit between the knobs and posts is not perfect, so I need a glue that
is gap-filling.

I have been using some 5-minute epoxy, but it doesn't seem to work all
that well on the glass, as the knobs pull apart after a while, leaving
the epoxy on the brass. I want to machine the old epoxy off the posts
so I will have a purely glass-to-brass joint.

Any suggestions for a gap-filling adhesive for glass to brass?

Real, slow cure araldite / epoxy is much stronger than the 5 minute
version.

Seconded.

Some urethanes - sika - may be useful.

Seconded. Even some moisture-cure polyurethanes are good gap-fillers. The
ones marketed in the US as "Gorilla Glue"

That's what surgeons recently used to reattach Charla Nash's face.....