Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF auto darkening helmet

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I am curious how much difference there is between the LCD panels of
the different auto-darkening helmets. I've got one substantially
cheaper than the HF model, and I find trying to see to weld almost
impossible. I've spent quite a while adjusting how dark it is, and
there doesn't seem to be a sweet spot between "the spark is bright
enough to leave spots on my eyes" and "all I can see is the spark".

So I'm wondering if it's my eyes or my helmet. Hopefully my
helmet....

My HF unit works fine. Even the bench grinder will make it darken. The darkness
adjustment does not seem to change when it darkens - just how dark.