Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default House of Tools (Canada) closing?

I thought that something was wrong when the March flyer did not appear.
Today I was told that the local branch of the House of Tools is closing in
May. I am also told that the whole chain may be in jeopardy.

For a small community like ours this is a minor disaster. It is hard to
understand as the local shop has been thriving in spite of the recession.

I was planning to buy a major piece of machinery from them but shall not
now. Warranty would be a real issue.

Shame.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:05:17 -0800, Michael Koblic wrote:

I thought that something was wrong when the March flyer did not appear.
Today I was told that the local branch of the House of Tools is closing in
May. I am also told that the whole chain may be in jeopardy.

For a small community like ours this is a minor disaster. It is hard to
understand as the local shop has been thriving in spite of the recession.

I was planning to buy a major piece of machinery from them but shall not
now. Warranty would be a real issue.

Shame.

It's online:

http://www.houseoftools.com/content/.../clearance.htm

Maybe you dropped off the mailing list.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:05:17 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

snip
I was planning to buy a major piece of machinery from them but shall not
now. Warranty would be a real issue.

I take warranties with a grain of salt...

Figure out if it is intact/worthy when you buy it. If not,
take it back for another or refund.

Everything else I fix myself. The people that care and can
make repairs as well or better than myself are far and few
between. It is much less frustrating to just fix it myself
the first time rather than have to fix it anyway after a
botched warranty job...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 5, 11:05*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I thought that something was wrong when the March flyer did not appear.
Today I was told that the local branch of the House of Tools is closing in
May. I am also told that the whole chain may be in jeopardy.

For a small community like ours this is a minor disaster. It is hard to
understand as the local shop has been thriving in spite of the recession.

I was planning to buy a major piece of machinery from them but shall not
now. Warranty would be a real issue.

Shame.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Michael, in my opinion who will survive this downturn is dependent on
how much they rely on a credit line.

Some of the hardest hit companies will be those who have been running
on credit or just went in debt for expansion purposes.

Be this time next year, we will be looking back over the rubble of
some well known names.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Michael, in my opinion who will survive this downturn is dependent on
how much they rely on a credit line.

Some of the hardest hit companies will be those who have been running
on credit or just went in debt for expansion purposes.

Be this time next year, we will be looking back over the rubble of
some well known names.

1) The flyer is indeed out. However it is an interesting one: Instead of at
least a few good deals which have been a feature until recently the whole
thing is full of "pretend deals". Including "deals" that are actually dearer
than their regular prices. A last gasp before "everything must go" flyer?

2) The opinion of the insiders is that the Canadain operation is being
sacrificed to salvage the US operation (I did not know they had one!)

3) No question many outfits will go to the wall. I love watching TV
commercials and betting on who is next. Have you noticed how TV advertises
mainly completely useless crap which one can live without? I for one am
happy to die in 50 years' time without ever owning a Snuggie or tasting Lean
Cuisine. I must say that I was surprised to see HoT in that category.

C'est la vie!

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 13:52:11 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

How about the Liberian legal tender, non circulating coin coated with
71 milligrams of .999 pure silver; which according to my calculation
has a value of less than three and one half cents?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

I will have to check the Victoria outlet in the next few days.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

(...)

How about the Liberian legal tender, non circulating coin coated with
71 milligrams of .999 pure silver; which according to my calculation
has a value of less than three and one half cents?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Everyone knows that die cast truck models are a much better investment.

https://www.48pickup.com/flare/next?tag=os|af

"A Sixty Dollar Value!!!"

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 6, 12:05*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I thought that something was wrong when the March flyer did not appear.
Today I was told that the local branch of the House of Tools is closing in
May. I am also told that the whole chain may be in jeopardy.

For a small community like ours this is a minor disaster. It is hard to
understand as the local shop has been thriving in spite of the recession.

I was planning to buy a major piece of machinery from them but shall not
now. Warranty would be a real issue.

Shame.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

House of Tools is definitely closing all three branches in BC plus one
in Medicine Hat, AB by the end of May. Clearance sales have already
begun. As far as the warranty goes, it depends on the brand. Obviously
DeWalt or Makita warranties have nothing to do with House of Tools and
even their "house brand" Pioneer is a separate company based out of
the US but warranty may be difficult (eg. shipping tools to Alberta
for warranty).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

They were discussing that, when I was in the Colwood (near Victoria, BC)
store. There was some talk of continuing the sale until the end. Not much
left in the way of small metalworking stuff. I was looking for endmills, but
only 3 left. There are still some drill presses, a metal lathe, and a finger
brake.

Steve R.