Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for a particular type of pump sprayer

My brother is looking for a pump sprayer identical or at least close to,
one our Dad has had for years. I'm sure Dad still has it, somewhere,
probably buried deep in the basement where it won't see the light of day
until the estate sale... So we don't have a mfg. name to work with.

This thing looked like a cross between a large oil can, and a pump spray
gun. Large reservoir below the handle, die cast pistol grip with the
pump in front. Output was adjustable between a mist and a stream. It was
filled by unscrewing the pump mechanism much like a typical oil can.

My brother's no slouch with Google, but all he comes up with are the
type that are filled with liquid and pressurized through a Schrader
valve. There's several variants of this type, but they are -not- what he
wants.

Does anyone recognize the sprayer I'm describing? If so, do you know
if/where they might be purchased today? Ordering from overseas is not
out of the question. Or, do ya have one laying around you might want to
part with?

Thanks,

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 25, 5:53*pm, Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

I think you're looking for a Flit gun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flit_gun
I haven't seen one for years but gardening centers would probably be
your best bet.
Ask on rec.aviation.homebuilt they were talking about them earlier in
the month.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:18:58 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:16:45 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to do some looking. But we're looking for the
old school all metal sprayer. If we find them new, I'll probably buy one
too. My brother wants one to spray mineral spirits for removing
cosmoline, I'm not sure the plastic ones will hold up. And there's a
touch of nostalgia for me, I used Dad's sprayer at our motorcycle shop
in the 70's. I uncrated many bikes and had the honor (hah!) of wiping
the cosmoline off. It was a very high quality item, meant to last a
couple lifetimes. The sort of quality item that just might not be made
anymore, but we're hoping, still is.

Jon

Good luck in your quest.

Jon, post back if you find one. That's a useful looking design.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to do some looking. But we're looking for the
old school all metal sprayer. If we find them new, I'll probably buy one
too. My brother wants one to spray mineral spirits for removing
cosmoline, I'm not sure the plastic ones will hold up. And there's a
touch of nostalgia for me, I used Dad's sprayer at our motorcycle shop
in the 70's. I uncrated many bikes and had the honor (hah!) of wiping
the cosmoline off. It was a very high quality item, meant to last a
couple lifetimes. The sort of quality item that just might not be made
anymore, but we're hoping, still is.

Jon

It won't match your "old time" look, but Harbor Freight carries a nice
all metal refillable spray bottle that comes with a variety of
interchangeable spray nozzles. It's often on sale for about $5 or so. I
have one I keep filled with Kroil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

Is this it? McMaster Carr page 1682.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9807t14/=rou0q

Thanks Roger! That's not it exactly, but might well be as close as we
can get. And it's priced only a bit more than I thought one would cost
in today's dollars.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:20:24 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:
RogerN wrote:

Is this it? McMaster Carr page 1682.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9807t14/=rou0q

Thanks Roger! That's not it exactly, but might well be as close as we
can get. And it's priced only a bit more than I thought one would cost
in today's dollars.

I kinda like the ones from the bottom of Page 1681 - You need shop air
or a bicycle pump, but one fill and it's good for the entire contents.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7054t11/=rwfr7

I have two of the 32-ounce size for deodorized Kerosene and 1,1,1,
Trichlorethylene cleaning solvents. Trichlor is hard to get and
slightly hazardous (stay upwind) so you need to use it very sparingly.

I wonder if the aluminum ones (7054T7 or 7054T8) are reactive with
Extra Virgin Olive Oil...? The plastic piles of crud they sell at
Williams-Sonoma don't last when a Guy pumps them up, I've split two.

EVOO is better for you than Pam, but a lot harder to apply.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was thinking it might be something like this
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1238k13/=rxvan
As it is a pump setup and it has an adjustable nozzle and all metal .
Dontcha just love an excuse to pull out the mcmaster carr catalog to
see what you can find...Pat
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:16:45 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson
scrawled the following:

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to do some looking. But we're looking for the
old school all metal sprayer. If we find them new, I'll probably buy one
too. My brother wants one to spray mineral spirits for removing
cosmoline, I'm not sure the plastic ones will hold up. And there's a
touch of nostalgia for me, I used Dad's sprayer at our motorcycle shop
in the 70's. I uncrated many bikes and had the honor (hah!) of wiping
the cosmoline off. It was a very high quality item, meant to last a
couple lifetimes. The sort of quality item that just might not be made
anymore, but we're hoping, still is.

You're talking about the real old-timey mosquito sprayers, aren't you?
Rotsa ruck finding one.

Howzbout a nice, shiny stainless Hudson? http://tinyurl.com/dg4uxt

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

You're talking about the real old-timey mosquito sprayers, aren't you?
Rotsa ruck finding one.

No, it's close to the one Roger pointed to at McMaster Carr. That one is
close, but still not quite the same. Probably going to have to do though...

Jon