Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default MIG welding with Implanted Cardiac Device

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

GREAT news Don. nothing worse than not be "allowed" to do something we
enjoy. So did the welds turn out ok???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 15, 10:32*pm, Don Foreman
wrote:
I had a little project today where welding was indicated. *

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! *The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. *Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire. *

Don,
Did you use your gaussmeter or is that experiment over?
Denis G.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:46:04 +0900, "K Ludger"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

GREAT news Don. nothing worse than not be "allowed" to do something we
enjoy. So did the welds turn out ok???

They did!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolap/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:32:28 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

Bravo!!

Hard core, dude!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not bad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

Bravo!!

Hard core, dude!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

Bravo!!

Hard core, dude!!

Gunner

Thanks! Tellyawhut, the first 10 seconds did have an element of
suspense that Alfred Hitchcock couldn't match. G

I'm very glad I went for it. I now feel confident with MIG. Not
overconfident, but I think I know my limits and constraints and I
won't find them at all onerous or restrictive.

TIG is next. I still have some E-field reservations on that but I'll
get there eventually.

BTW, this little box has something to do with making high-precision
rifle barrels.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

GREAT news Don. nothing worse than not be "allowed" to do something we
enjoy. So did the welds turn out ok???

They did!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolap/

Neater than my chook scratching mig welds!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

Sweet! Keep the area clear of objects you could hit and hurt yourself on if you get
tazered from the inside and fall down.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"K Ludger" wrote:

They did!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolap/

Neater than my chook scratching mig welds!

I was welding on something today and had black soot covering everything. I'm using an
argon / CO2 mix. The shield gas was flowing but I kept getting soot. Welds looked okay.

Any ideas on what is going on? This was MIG.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

BTW, this little box has something to do with making high-precision
rifle barrels.

Tell us more!

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"K Ludger" wrote:

They did!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolap/

Neater than my chook scratching mig welds!

I was welding on something today and had black soot covering everything.
I'm using an
argon / CO2 mix. The shield gas was flowing but I kept getting soot.
Welds looked okay.

Any ideas on what is going on? This was MIG.

Wes

The only time I've had soot is when I've welded metal that wasn't clean -
paint residue etc. I've mig welded on & off for years but I'm a hack so my
advice isn't worth much - some of the gurus here will know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:01:31 -0500, Wes wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

BTW, this little box has something to do with making high-precision
rifle barrels.

Tell us more!

Wes

I'm making a device for a friend who is getting into chambering and
threading rifle barrels for long range competition. This gadget is a
carriage-stop alarm with safe overtravel for use when threading.

He said he'd like such a thing so I'm making one for him. No big
deal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

BTW, this little box has something to do with making high-precision
rifle barrels.

Tell us more!

Wes

I'm making a device for a friend who is getting into chambering and
threading rifle barrels for long range competition. This gadget is a
carriage-stop alarm with safe overtravel for use when threading.

He said he'd like such a thing so I'm making one for him. No big
deal.

I use a dial indicator oriented such that the needle when straight up (shortly after
contact) is the place to 'pull out now' (wes imagines screaming nut from code pink)

I'm pretty sure someone on the list tipped me to that technique.

My Clausing has a clutch/brake which allows the drive motor to run while the rest of the
system comes to a dead halt. Cool would be a system that would sense carrage position and
kick it from drive to stop. Uncool would be a lathe crash if it failed to work one time.

Oh my gosh. Something on topic.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote

I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before you gave it
the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve sez: "I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before you gave it
the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked."

Bite your tongue ! That's no way to talk to a man of Science, like Don. He had every angle, every
nuance of slightest chance, all figured out before he started.

Bob Swinney

"SteveB" wrote in message ...

"Don Foreman" wrote

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:43:09 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

Don Foreman wrote:

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

Sweet! Keep the area clear of objects you could hit and hurt yourself on if you get
tazered from the inside and fall down.

Wes

Done.

And now that your "insurance" is paid up by taking those precautions,
_don't_ worry about that mule. We can see that you already respect
him enough to keep him docile.

--
I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
--Winnie of RCM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

BTW, this little box has something to do with making high-precision
rifle barrels.

Tell us more!

Wes

I'm making a device for a friend who is getting into chambering and
threading rifle barrels for long range competition. This gadget is a
carriage-stop alarm with safe overtravel for use when threading.

He said he'd like such a thing so I'm making one for him. No big
deal.

I use a dial indicator oriented such that the needle when straight up (shortly after
contact) is the place to 'pull out now' (wes imagines screaming nut from code pink)

That's what I do too.

I'm pretty sure someone on the list tipped me to that technique.

My Clausing has a clutch/brake which allows the drive motor to run while the rest of the
system comes to a dead halt.

Mine has a foot pedal that shuts off the motor and stops the spindle
with a brake. At threading speeds I can stop the spindle within a few
degrees.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:49:25 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Steve sez: "I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before you gave it
the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked."

Bite your tongue ! That's no way to talk to a man of Science, like Don. He had every angle, every
nuance of slightest chance, all figured out before he started.

Not hardly, Bob. I didn't exactly proceed with a "watch this, hold my
beer" approach, but I've had my butt kicked more than once by an angle
it didn't occur to me to figure in.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

Don,

Glad to hear all OK and you can enjoy some of the simple pleasures
still. I would suggest if you want to do spot welding you might have
someone else try it and do the field reading first. I've welded TIG,
MIG, stick, many times and never had an issue with my analogue quartz
watch but if wearing it while spot welding it always goes ballistic so I
suspect the field is much higher.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve sez: "I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before you gave it
the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked."

Bite your tongue ! That's no way to talk to a man of Science, like Don. He had every angle, every
nuance of slightest chance, all figured out before he started.

Not hardly, Bob. I didn't exactly proceed with a "watch this, hold my
beer" approach, but I've had my butt kicked more than once by an angle
it didn't occur to me to figure in.

They fitted the darn thing with flat batteries :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

They fitted the darn thing with flat batteries :-)

How do you charge that? Do you have to go in for battery replacements?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Steve sez: "I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before
you gave it
the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked."

Bite your tongue ! That's no way to talk to a man of Science, like Don.
He had every angle, every
nuance of slightest chance, all figured out before he started.

Bob Swinney

As does any good craps shooter!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve sez: "I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before
you gave it
the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked."

Bite your tongue ! That's no way to talk to a man of Science, like Don.
He had every angle, every
nuance of slightest chance, all figured out before he started.

Not hardly, Bob. I didn't exactly proceed with a "watch this, hold my
beer" approach, but I've had my butt kicked more than once by an angle
it didn't occur to me to figure in.

Good thing MIG can't give you a kick like a TIG can. You'll know the first
time you get hit with an AC jolt.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:39:47 -0500, Wes wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

They fitted the darn thing with flat batteries :-)

How do you charge that? Do you have to go in for battery replacements?

Wes

You don't charge it. They have to replace it. I'm curious to learn
why, since it would be easy enough to charge by induction. I even
understand that my unit has lithium ion batteries, which is a
rechargable chemistry.

I may learn more in a couple of weeks. I've been invited to visit
Boston Scientific, meet some of the engineers that designed my unit,
and ask any questions I'd like.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve sez: "I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before
you gave it
the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked."

Bite your tongue ! That's no way to talk to a man of Science, like Don.
He had every angle, every
nuance of slightest chance, all figured out before he started.

Not hardly, Bob. I didn't exactly proceed with a "watch this, hold my
beer" approach, but I've had my butt kicked more than once by an angle
it didn't occur to me to figure in.

Good thing MIG can't give you a kick like a TIG can. You'll know the first
time you get hit with an AC jolt.

Steve

Steve, are you talking about jolts from the welder itself, or jolts
from an ICD triggered by the TIG? I've been welding for decades, not
worried about the welders.

B-field with my TIG setup is well within safe limits but I'm still not
sure about E-field from the HF.

I found a minor issue with my E-field probe so I modified it and
re-calibrated it today, will take more data tomorrow with Mary holding
the torch. She won't need to make a weld or even strike an arc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:07:37 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no
problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8"
HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

Don,

Glad to hear all OK and you can enjoy some of the simple pleasures
still. I would suggest if you want to do spot welding you might have
someone else try it and do the field reading first. I've welded TIG,
MIG, stick, many times and never had an issue with my analogue quartz
watch but if wearing it while spot welding it always goes ballistic so I
suspect the field is much higher.

Roger that! I definitely won't be getting within spittin' distance
of an operating spot welder -- and I'm tawkin' ballistic gob here, not
mere dweeby drool. Spot welders use north of 1000 amps. Major
B-field.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:36:38 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

So you're NOT going to be testing the battery charge in your IED, erm,
ICD, Don?

--
I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
--Winnie of RCM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not sure, Don. Was just shocked a few times by TIG process. Don't know
about the fields they emit. May be a try it and see if you die thing.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Steve, was the shock delivered by the welder or by an implanted
defibrillator?