Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why is this needed?

Been looking at designs of manual tire changers. What is the purpose
of the "centering pin"? If the wheel is tightned down with the spider
and top post, is it really needed? http://www.gemplers.com/docs/IS/123.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
Been looking at designs of manual tire changers. What is the purpose
of the "centering pin"? If the wheel is tightned down with the spider
and top post, is it really needed? http://www.gemplers.com/docs/IS/123.pdf

I don't see a "centering pin" listed. Do you mean the guide pin of the lug
hole?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:17:57 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

Been looking at designs of manual tire changers. What is the purpose
of the "centering pin"? If the wheel is tightned down with the spider
and top post, is it really needed? http://www.gemplers.com/docs/IS/123.pdf

Blink...blink...yes.

It keeps the tire from spinning

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people,
we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
Been looking at designs of manual tire changers. What is the purpose
of the "centering pin"? If the wheel is tightned down with the spider
and top post, is it really needed? http://www.gemplers.com/docs/IS/123.pdf

If you're talking about the pin that comes through the base, it is to keep
the tire from spinning during work. The old tire changers had a spinner
cone shaped device to keep it centered on the machine, and one pin to keep
it from spinning. Gawd, I wonder what the numerical equivalent was on that
threaded cone. One thread per two inches, or something like that.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped writes:

Been looking at designs of manual tire changers. What is the purpose
of the "centering pin"? If the wheel is tightned down with the spider
and top post, is it really needed?

Considering the many foot-pounds of torque you apply with the bead seating
tool, you need more than the spider to keep the wheel from spinning.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about these gadgets on any tires car sized and
up, unless you're desperate. The do-it-yourself savings are not worth the
effort, and they don't work very well. There's a reason tire changers are
big hydraulic tools costing $1000s.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have you considered looking for a used tire changer? I bought a used
Coates 20-20 in 1979 for $120 and it has been working fine ever since.
This model is a serious air-powered machine. The only thing it lacks is
the extra pressure tank and ring under the tire that "blows" the bead
into place, but that's easy to get around anyway.

There must be plenty of them around, since the technology is always
advancing. When I bought mine, the 30-30 and (I think)40-40 had already
been around for a while.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

stryped wrote:
Been looking at designs of manual tire changers. What is the purpose
of the "centering pin"? If the wheel is tightned down with the spider
and top post, is it really needed? http://www.gemplers.com/docs/IS/123.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
Been looking at designs of manual tire changers. What is the purpose
of the "centering pin"? If the wheel is tightned down with the spider
and top post, is it really needed?http://www.gemplers.com/docs/IS/123.pdf- Hide quoted text -

I have been looking. Actually, I had been thinking of making one of
these at home as I have some round and square tubing. Mainly for my 15
inch trailer wheels but alos, lawn mower, tiller, etc. It seemed like
a neat project.

But there is a "spider" that goes over the wheel and a top post that
screws down against the spider. I thought that this woudl hold the
tire?

If you were making one, how would you install a guide pin? Arent
different wheel's holes different spaces from center? I dont see how
one would work for all?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
Been looking at designs of manual tire changers. What is the purpose
of the "centering pin"? If the wheel is tightned down with the spider
and top post, is it really
needed?http://www.gemplers.com/docs/IS/123.pdf- Hide quoted text -

I have been looking. Actually, I had been thinking of making one of
these at home as I have some round and square tubing. Mainly for my 15
inch trailer wheels but alos, lawn mower, tiller, etc. It seemed like
a neat project.

But there is a "spider" that goes over the wheel and a top post that
screws down against the spider. I thought that this woudl hold the
tire?

If you were making one, how would you install a guide pin? Arent
different wheel's holes different spaces from center? I dont see how
one would work for all?
The guide pin is mounted on a pivot so that it can swivel radially toward or
away from the post. Some also telescope to accomodate different rim widths.
The wheel has to be securely restrained from turning as sometimes it can
take quite a bit of force to get the tire bead to slide over the rim. If the
tire is soft and WELL lubricated it often goes very easily but some are a
real bear. The rim design effects the effort also.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
[...]

Don Young- Hide quoted text -

One last thing. I went to Harbor freight and looked at theirs. The
part the wheel "rests" on is a small circular piece of metal. Would
there be an advantage/disadvantage to having a larger piece, maybe a 1
foot by one foot square or so? It seems it would make the unit
stronger. Also would one of these changers work on the front tires of
my 8n? I have never had them off but I think the "center hole" of the
tire looks different.

As always appreciate your help!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 05:32:29 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

[...]

Some people simply feel obligated to keep reinventing the wheel.

All the power to them. On the other hand..they dont have a lot of time
to do other more important stuff because of this.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Your Help Needed Please ? the_constructor UK diy 10 November 29th 07 08:42 PM
STK-360 needed Tim Schwartz Electronics Repair 0 May 23rd 06 12:38 PM
help needed please dave Home Repair 9 April 10th 06 06:03 PM
Part needed: Kenwood Car Radio KDC-MP625 part needed Klem Electronics Repair 1 September 28th 05 04:27 AM
Help needed with JVC TV Zman Electronics Repair 5 June 16th 05 08:59 AM