Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default class project for daugher

My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants to
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the sun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 11:52*am, stryped wrote:
My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants to
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the sun.

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/ca..._van_Vliet.jpg

jw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants to
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the sun.

Maybe search for "Orrery" or look here for some ideas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orrery
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 12:36*pm, David Billington
wrote:
stryped wrote:
My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants to
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the sun.

Maybe search for "Orrery" or look here for some ideashttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orrery

Saturn rotates more than twice as fast as Earth, different parts of
its atmosphere rotate at different speeds, also the rings slip past
each other. All this is unreasonable to model but she could write a
description that explains it.

I'd print the end-on photo of the rings on acetate and glue it betwen
the halves of a tennis ball with airbrushed cloud lines, mount it on a
clear plastic arm (towel bar?) that pivots around the beachball sun,
and maybe belt the two together with clear fishline so Saturn spins
rapidly when you swing the arm around the sun. .

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

What exactly do you mean by "print it on acetate"?

I like the idea of splittign the tennis ball in half. My daugther
wanted saturn to rotate on its axis as well but it in not absolutely
necessary.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 1:47*pm, stryped wrote:
On Feb 11, 11:56*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I'd print the end-on photo of the rings on acetate and glue it betwen
the halves of a tennis ball with airbrushed cloud lines, mount it on a
clear plastic arm (towel bar?) that pivots around the beachball sun,
and maybe belt the two together with clear fishline so Saturn spins
rapidly when you swing the arm around the sun. .

Jim Wilkins

What exactly do you mean by "print it on acetate"?

I like the idea of splittign the tennis ball in half. My daugther
wanted saturn to rotate on its axis as well but it in not absolutely
necessary.-

Overhead projector sheets. The ones I used were for a laser printer
but I think you can buy a packet of them for a home ink jet printer.
You might want to laminate the printed side after the ink dries.
Here's an expensive example:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...095-24467.html

I made control panel labels out of it by printing text and copying
graphics, then attaching it to the project with double-stick tape. The
laser printer version is rough on the toner side and absorbs permanent
marker ink well, so I could go over the black and colors to intensify
them.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants to
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the sun.

Build a mobile and hang it from a ceiling fan.
make the planets hollow and place a motor attacked to the rod it hangs from
so each will turn.
no ideal for the rings

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped writes:

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the sun.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants to
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the sun.

Have her do it in scale. Have a tennis ball as the sun and have her tell
the teacher that Saturn is a BB somewhere on the horizon and she'll have to
take two buses and a taxi to get there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...-215521-344509...

I made control panel labels out of it by printing text and copying
graphics, then attaching it to the project with double-stick tape. The
laser printer version is rough on the toner side and absorbs permanent
marker ink well, so I could go over the black and colors to intensify
them.

Jim Wilkins

The do have the inkjet ones and you can print them in color.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What about the little Christmas tree motors that turn ornaments?

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"stryped" wrote in message
My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You
are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's
axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the
sun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You
are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's
axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the
sun.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks! My mom has a balerina that fits on top of the Christmas tree
that might work.

Also, whoever had the idea about putting the motor in the planet was
good.

What would be good to attach the plantet to the rotating 'arm" Dowel
rod?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You
are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's
axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the
sun.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks! My mom has a balerina that fits on top of the Christmas tree
that might work.

Also, whoever had the idea about putting the motor in the planet was
good.

What would be good to attach the plantet to the rotating 'arm" Dowel
rod?

You would attach the motor to the arm and then the motor to the inside of
the ball. that will make the ball turn with the motor.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
My daugter is building a replica of Saturn and the sun and wants to
show how Saturn roates on it's axis and also around the sun. You are
some smart guys. Anyhelp? I thought that maybe to rotate on it's axis
I could attach saturn to a motor of a musicbox dancer.

I am not sure how to do saturns rings or to rotate around the sun.

The gas giants like Saturn do not rotate as a rigid body like earth.
The rotation rate in terms of revolutions per day is latitude dependent.
The rings revolve in a somewhat complex manner, again not as a rigid
body. To a first approximation they go around at the orbital velocity
that a moon would have at the same radius. That is, closer rings orbit
faster, the outer rings orbit slower.