Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ryobi BGH827 bench grinder vibration saga continues 2

Well, I got around to making the second set flanges for the wheels in
the Ryobi.

The white wheel is by Norton, has a 1" diameter hole, and it got a
flanged sleeve on the motor side, and a pressed steel dished washer with
spherical washer on the outside.

The gray wheel came with the grinder, has a 5/8" epoxy-lined hole, and
it got a machined washer on the motor side and the other pressed steel
dished washer with spherical washer on the outside.

Using the spherical washer on the outside ensures that the inside washer
or flanged sleeve will define the plane of rotation of the stone,
despite the drunken threads on the arbors and/or arbor nuts.

This has resulted in considerable improvement. Grinder still vibrates,
but it isn't such a problem as before.

I also took the wheelguards off so I could easily measure the arbor
shaft diameters. Close to the motor, it's 0.666" diameter, the "5/8
inch" part is 0.624" diameter, so the shoulder upon which the washer
rests is 0.021" high, which is far too small for pressed steel washers
to accurately ride perpendicular to the shaft.

The next generation may consist of some 0.250" thick steel washers made
to fit this unit, and none other, with the arbor hole a very tight slip
fit or push fit on the arbor.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 8, 4:28*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

I probably shouldn't ask, but will anyway. Do you have thick, soft,
paper between the stone and the washers? Used to use blotter paper,
but don't know what they recommend now.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
" wrote:

[...]

Yes I do, and yes it's still called blotter paper.

Joe Gwinn