Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dimensions - Dumore series 44 toolpost grinder pulley

I just got (used of course) an old Dumore series 44 toolpost
grinder in a nearly complete kit. The one thing which is missing is the
#1 pulley (smallest).

Does anyone have one who can tell me the diameter over the
crown? The rest I can measure from the other pulleys so I can make my
own replacement for that missing one.

Thanks much,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#1 pulley (smallest).

Does anyone have one who can tell me the diameter over the
crown? The rest I can measure from the other pulleys so I can make my
own replacement for that missing one.

The smallest pulley on the old DuMore toolpost grinder I inherited is
0.906" diameter over the crown, and it's driven by a 2.184" diameter
pulley.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#1 pulley (smallest).

Does anyone have one who can tell me the diameter over the
crown? The rest I can measure from the other pulleys so I can make my
own replacement for that missing one.

The smallest pulley on the old DuMore toolpost grinder I inherited is
0.906" diameter over the crown, and it's driven by a 2.184" diameter
pulley.

Joe Gwinn

I've got a Dumore #5 tp grinder. The #1 pulley is .8917" in diameter on the
crown and .8713 on the edge with a .500" bore.

#1 pulley (smallest).

Does anyone have one who can tell me the diameter over the
crown? The rest I can measure from the other pulleys so I can make my
own replacement for that missing one.

The smallest pulley on the old DuMore toolpost grinder I inherited is
0.906" diameter over the crown, and it's driven by a 2.184" diameter
pulley.

Joe Gwinn

I've got a Dumore #5 tp grinder. The #1 pulley is .8917" in diameter on the
crown and .8713 on the edge with a .500" bore.

On my old #11 the #1 pulley is .9095.

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#1 pulley (smallest).

Does anyone have one who can tell me the diameter over the
crown? The rest I can measure from the other pulleys so I can make my
own replacement for that missing one.

The smallest pulley on the old DuMore toolpost grinder I inherited is
0.906" diameter over the crown, and it's driven by a 2.184" diameter
pulley.

O.K. Is this one with only those two pulleys? That sounds like
a setup for maximum speed (38,500 RPM no load) for use with up to 1/2"
diameter wheels. (Likely mounted stones at that diameter.)

With a No. 2 and a No. 5, the no load speed is 27,700 RPM, for
stones measuring 5/8 through 3/4".

I'll have to measure the four pulleys which I do have for mine,
which are Nos 2 through 5 to see whether they are the same series.

Mine is marked "Model 44-011" on the nameplate, and I was able
to read the numbers on three of the four pulleys. The one which I could
not read has to be the No 4 based on a size comparison to the others,
and certainly not a 1. I think that I will want to stamp that one more
clearly.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#1 pulley (smallest).

Does anyone have one who can tell me the diameter over the
crown? The rest I can measure from the other pulleys so I can make my
own replacement for that missing one.

The smallest pulley on the old DuMore toolpost grinder I inherited is
0.906" diameter over the crown, and it's driven by a 2.184" diameter
pulley.

Joe Gwinn

I've got a Dumore #5 tp grinder. The #1 pulley is .8917" in diameter on the
crown and .8713 on the edge with a .500" bore.

Hmm ... I don't find the #5 on their web page. The bore does
seem larger than mine -- which is closer to 3/8" as far as I can
remember. (It is downstairs in a cold shop, and I am up here typing
with warm hands at the moment. :-)

Thanks
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#1 pulley (smallest).

[ ... ]

The smallest pulley on the old DuMore toolpost grinder I inherited is
0.906" diameter over the crown, and it's driven by a 2.184" diameter
pulley.

[ ... ]

I've got a Dumore #5 tp grinder. The #1 pulley is .8917" in diameter on the
crown and .8713 on the edge with a .500" bore.

On my old #11 the #1 pulley is .9095.

O.K. Yet another one -- but so far not a precise match in model
number. I think that my smaller one is a #11 -- a bit too small for a
12" lathe, hence the acquisition of opportunity of the Model 44-011.

O.K. I just checked the manual for the #11, and it only has two
pulleys. Yes, they are marked "No. 1" and "No. 2" according to the
manual. The bore is smaller than that on the Mode 44, so we are sort of
bracketing things at the moment.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

FYI, Don when I got my grinder I looked for a manual which wasn't included.
I called Dumore and they hooked me up with a dealer. The name is familiar.
Wm Sopko & Sons in Cleveland. They were great. They faxed me a copy of the
complete operating instructions and parts list and I didn't spend a dime
with them. The contact info:

Wm Sopko & Sons Co. Inc.
26500 Lakeland Blvd.
Cleveland, Ohio
Phone: 216-289-1400
Fax: 216-289-1888

Dumore is no longer in Racine, WI. They moved up north, Probably to get away
from the unions. They are in Mauston, WI now. Contact info:

Dumore Corp.
1030 Veterans St
Mauston, WI 53948-9314
Phone: 608-338-6673
Fax: 1-800-338-6673

My series 5 machine is maybe a little big for my Clausing 5914, in fact the
book sez it's for 13"-18" lathes, but it works just fine. I think the 44
series is probably just right for your 5900. Have fun with it.
Tom

On 2009-02-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I just got (used of course) an old Dumore series 44 toolpost
grinder in a nearly complete kit. The one thing which is missing is

the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry, DoN, but I don't have the answer you're looking for. I've bought two
used Dumore 44-011 grinders, and neither of them came with a full pulley set
(not even combined).

The chart at the bottom of page 8 of the download manual/parts list shows
that the fastest spindle speed would be 38500 RPM.

The pulleys for 38500 are shown as the #5 on the motor, and #1 on the
spindle. This seems a little odd since the motor is labeled to have a
no-load speed of 13000 RPM.
The #5 that I have measures 2.985" diameter, and the #2 measures 1.059
(although it's mostly flat without a full crown like the #5).

So the approximately 3" to approximately 1" would be about 3x the 13000
motor speed or about 39000 RPM (it seems to me, anyway).

The front page of the manual states model 8473 and dated 1/2008.

The "ser." numbers on the ones I have start with 8071 and 8171, which I
expect are series numbers, followed by a 4 (or more) digit serial number.

The 8071 appears to be older and had crowned steel pulleys with it.
The 8171 had flat, flanged aluminum pulleys with it.

#2 1.059" (but the crown is worn almost flat) steel

#3 1.562" flat aluminum with flanges

#4 2.125" flat aluminum with flanges

#5 2.985" crowned steel

Do these sizes correspond to the pulley sizes you have?

--
WB
metalworking projects

I just got (used of course) an old Dumore series 44 toolpost
grinder in a nearly complete kit. The one thing which is missing is the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

#1 pulley (smallest).

Does anyone have one who can tell me the diameter over the
crown? The rest I can measure from the other pulleys so I can make my
own replacement for that missing one.

The smallest pulley on the old DuMore toolpost grinder I inherited is
0.906" diameter over the crown, and it's driven by a 2.184" diameter
pulley.

O.K. Is this one with only those two pulleys? That sounds like
a setup for maximum speed (38,500 RPM no load) for use with up to 1/2"
diameter wheels. (Likely mounted stones at that diameter.)

O.K. I've measured mine. Here are the results, with ??? for
the No. 1.

No. 1 ????
No. 2 1.1085"
No. 3 1.5480"
No. 4 2.1095"
No. 5 2.9815"

And playing with various calculations I come up with the
following possible sizes for the No. 1 pulley:

1.0067" (from no-load speed of motor and expected no-load
speed of No. 1 driven by No. 5)

0.7983" (Comparing no-load speed listed with No. 2 and
No. 1 pulleys driven by the same (No. 5) motor
pulley.)

0.7918" (Working from size ratios of adjacent pulley
sizes.)

The ID of the pulleys is 0.375", and the thickness (of No. 2, at
least) is 0.6890"

[ ... ]

I'll have to measure the four pulleys which I do have for mine,
which are Nos 2 through 5 to see whether they are the same series.

Apparently not, since the 2.184" pulley is not quite right for
anything in my set.

Mine is marked "Model 44-011" on the nameplate, and I was able
to read the numbers on three of the four pulleys. The one which I could
not read has to be the No 4 based on a size comparison to the others,
and certainly not a 1. I think that I will want to stamp that one more
clearly.

The No. 4 became partially visible when I cleaned all of the
pulleys with ScotchBrite. That number turned out to have been stamped
where a couple of balancing holes were drilled, so only part of the
number was visible.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-08, Tom Wait wrote:
FYI, Don when I got my grinder I looked for a manual which wasn't included.
I called Dumore and they hooked me up with a dealer. The name is familiar.
Wm Sopko & Sons in Cleveland. They were great. They faxed me a copy of the
complete operating instructions and parts list and I didn't spend a dime
with them. The contact info:

Wm Sopko & Sons Co. Inc.
26500 Lakeland Blvd.
Cleveland, Ohio
Phone: 216-289-1400
Fax: 216-289-1888

Thanks. As it turns out, DuMore now has the manuals on line, at
least for some machines, including the Series 44. The first thing that I
did was go on the web and find and download the manual. They don't
still have the Series 11 manual (for the smaller TP grinder which I also
have), but thy still list the Series 44.

Dumore is no longer in Racine, WI. They moved up north, Probably to get away
from the unions. They are in Mauston, WI now. Contact info:

Dumore Corp.
1030 Veterans St
Mauston, WI 53948-9314
Phone: 608-338-6673
Fax: 1-800-338-6673

Hmm ... The voice phone does not look right, though the FAX
matches what is printed on the front of the downloaded manual. For
others who may hit these articles later, the voice phone printed on the
front cover of the manual (which bears a 1/2008 date) is

Phone: 1(608) 847-6420

My series 5 machine is maybe a little big for my Clausing 5914, in fact the
book sez it's for 13"-18" lathes, but it works just fine. I think the 44
series is probably just right for your 5900. Have fun with it.

Thanks! The manual says that it is for 8 to 14" swing lathes.

Various calculations suggest diameters between 0.7918" and
1.0067". If I don't get the measurement soon, I'll probably try making
a 1.000" one and use my GR StroboTac to measure the resulting speed. If
it is too slow, I'll turn it down a bit more as indicated.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-07, Tom Wait wrote:

[ ... ]

I've got a Dumore #5 tp grinder. The #1 pulley is .8917" in diameter on the
crown and .8713 on the edge with a .500" bore.

Hmm ... I don't find the #5 on their web page. The bore does
seem larger than mine -- which is closer to 3/8" as far as I can
remember. (It is downstairs in a cold shop, and I am up here typing
with warm hands at the moment. :-)

Verified now -- measures right at 0.375" bore. It suggests that
some of my calculated possible sizes (like 0.7918") are at least
possible.

Thanks much,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-08, Wild_Bill wrote:
Sorry, DoN, but I don't have the answer you're looking for. I've bought two
used Dumore 44-011 grinders, and neither of them came with a full pulley set
(not even combined).

Ouch! Maybe I can help you fill out the set -- at least as far
as the crowned pulleys go.

The chart at the bottom of page 8 of the download manual/parts list shows
that the fastest spindle speed would be 38500 RPM.

Yes -- it also has one column mis-labeled. It labels the two
columns as:

Pulley on Pulley on
Spindle Wheel

And as far as I can tell, both "Spindle" and "Wheel" refer to the same
shaft -- just opposite ends. And judging from the contents of the
table, the one which is labeled "Wheel" should really be "Motor". :-)

The pulleys for 38500 are shown as the #5 on the motor, and #1 on the
spindle. This seems a little odd since the motor is labeled to have a
no-load speed of 13000 RPM.

Thus one calculation for the likely pulley size is:

38500 / 13000 = 2.9615

2.9815" / 2.9615 = 1.0067"

(Assuming that the No. 5 pulley is relatively unworn.

The #5 that I have measures 2.985" diameter, and the #2 measures 1.059
(although it's mostly flat without a full crown like the #5).

That is badly worn. I'll put a table of the sizes which I have
he

No. 1 ??? (1.0067" ?)
No. 2 1.1085"
No. 3 1.5470"
No. 4 2.1095"
No. 5 2.9815"

(all measured with a Mitutoyo dial caliper, not a real micrometer, but I
think that this is close enough.)

So the approximately 3" to approximately 1" would be about 3x the 13000
motor speed or about 39000 RPM (it seems to me, anyway).

The smidge smaller diameter than 3" (2.9815") actually bumps the
No. 1 pulley just a little over 1" diameter for the 38,500 RPM.
(Assuming that the motor no-load RPM is not reduced significantly by
the belt, pulleys and spindle bearings.) After I make a 1.000" No. 1
candidate, I'll check the speed (with no stone in place) with a GR
StroboTac (no contact speed measurement).

The front page of the manual states model 8473 and dated 1/2008.

The same one which I downloaded. Once I report the table
nomenclature problem, there may be a 3/2009 release. :-)

The "ser." numbers on the ones I have start with 8071 and 8171, which I
expect are series numbers, followed by a 4 (or more) digit serial number.

O.K. Mine starts with 8473, followed by what looks like a
five-digit number. It is downstairs, and I am not again, so I can't
verify that part.

The 8071 appears to be older and had crowned steel pulleys with it.
The 8171 had flat, flanged aluminum pulleys with it.

O.K. Mine has the crowned steel pulleys. I wonder whether
someone made his own pulleys for one of the two you have. The manual
shows crowned (and presumably steel) wheels.

#2 1.059" (but the crown is worn almost flat) steel

1.1085" (mine +4.67%)

#3 1.562" flat aluminum with flanges

1.5470" (mine -0.96%)

#4 2.125" flat aluminum with flanges

2.1095" (mine -0.720%)

#5 2.985" crowned steel

2.9815" (mine -0.117%)

So your No. 2 is really badly worn compared to everything else.

Do these sizes correspond to the pulley sizes you have?

You now have my figures -- and the percentage difference in size.

I'm beginning to think that the No. 1 crowned was originally a
precise 1.000" and the others were scaled to that as a starting point.

Thanks much,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

#1 pulley (smallest).

Does anyone have one who can tell me the diameter over the
crown? The rest I can measure from the other pulleys so I can make my
own replacement for that missing one.

The smallest pulley on the old DuMore toolpost grinder I inherited is
0.906" diameter over the crown, and it's driven by a 2.184" diameter
pulley.

O.K. Is this one with only those two pulleys? That sounds like
a setup for maximum speed (38,500 RPM no load) for use with up to 1/2"
diameter wheels. (Likely mounted stones at that diameter.)

O.K. I've measured mine. Here are the results, with ??? for
the No. 1.

No. 1 ????
No. 2 1.1085"
No. 3 1.5480"
No. 4 2.1095"
No. 5 2.9815"

I think I have the #1, as the smallest crowned pulley I have measured
0.906" diameter using a caliper.

I also have what appears to be (is closest to) a #4, diameter 2.184"

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, DoN. I'm surprised that there weren't numerous replies with the #1
pulley size.
I wondered if the aluminum pulleys that came with one of the model 44s might
have been shop made. I don't know if I'll actually use either grinder on a
lathe, or end up using them for some other grinding setup.

Your approach to try a 1" diameter for pulley #1 is logical (not
surprising), as I anticipated that if you didn't get an accurate reply,
you'd just go by the speed chart, (despite the mis-labeled wheel/motor
error) and come up with a properly-sized pulley.

Dumore and users can't actually be sure that all grinders will run at the
same exact speeds anyway, since there are differences in AC voltage levels
at various locations.

The manual for download is probably for the current version of the 44/8473
version, which utilizes the bent rod for mounting the belt guard. The older
models that I have don't have this feature (no hole in the base/spindle
casting), so I assume that the guard mounted by clamping around the machined
end of the spindle housing, similar to the way the wheel guard does. It
shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a guard and an improvised
holder/clamp.

#2 1.059" (but the crown is worn almost flat) steel

1.1085" (mine +4.67%)

#3 1.562" flat aluminum with flanges

1.5470" (mine -0.96%)

#4 2.125" flat aluminum with flanges

2.1095" (mine -0.720%)

#5 2.985" crowned steel

2.9815" (mine -0.117%)

So your No. 2 is really badly worn compared to everything else.

Do these sizes correspond to the pulley sizes you have?

You now have my figures -- and the percentage difference in size.

I'm beginning to think that the No. 1 crowned was originally a
precise 1.000" and the others were scaled to that as a starting point.

Thanks much,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-09, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

O.K. I've measured mine. Here are the results, with ??? for
the No. 1.

No. 1 ????
No. 2 1.1085"
No. 3 1.5480"
No. 4 2.1095"
No. 5 2.9815"

I think I have the #1, as the smallest crowned pulley I have measured
0.906" diameter using a caliper.

I've been in touch with DuMore, and these are still made. At
just under $16.00, it is less trouble to order than to make when you
consider trying to get something balanced for 38,500 RPM. :-) Yes, even
the "No. 2" has a small hole drilled for balancing.

And -- in the process, he mentioned the diameter that the No. 1
pulley *should* be -- 7/8" (0.875").

I also have what appears to be (is closest to) a #4, diameter 2.184"

Assuming that the others are also made to some number of eighths
or sixteenths of an inch, that would probably be 35/16" or 2-3/16".
Yours appears to be a bit less worn than mine, though I've been told
(not by DuMore) that they vary somewhat with date of manufacture.

I also pointed out to DuMore the error in the headers of the
pulley table on page 8. The two pulley columns are marked "Pulley on
Spindle" and "pulley on Wheel" -- which to me sound like the same
pulley. The rightmost column should really be "Pulley on Motor". The
fellow at DuMore agreed with me, so I presume that pretty soon a new
version will be available for download. :-)

It will be interesting to see whether I receive a crowned steel
pulley or a flanged aluminum pulley. :-)

Thanks much,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-09, Wild_Bill wrote:
Thanks, DoN. I'm surprised that there weren't numerous replies with the #1
pulley size.

Perhaps that was the first pulley to be lost from everybody's
sets. :-)

I tried calling someone who had a Series 44 on eBay with eight
pulleys (at least two appeared to be No. 1 pulleys, and it is not clear
what the ones shown on the motor and spindle were) but it was too late.
It was already packaged for shipping.

So -- I called DuMore -- just to see what the pulley cost. It
turns out to be just under $16.00. Cheap enough to be worth it for not
having to try to balance a pulley at those speeds. :-)

While talking to him, he mentioned that the size of the No. 1
pulley is supposed to be 7/8" -- so about halfway between my smaller
calculations and the 1" one. From that, I decided that probably all of
the others were also some integer number of 8ths (or in one case, 16ths
seems a bit more likely), and everything has worn a bit over the years.

I wondered if the aluminum pulleys that came with one of the model 44s might
have been shop made.

I've been wondering the same thing. Well ... when the pulley
from DuMore arrives (near the end of the week is his prediction) I'll
find out. If you are interested, I'll report that here when it arrives.

I don't know if I'll actually use either grinder on a
lathe, or end up using them for some other grinding setup.

There is always a bit of worry when it comes to mounting a
grinder on a lathe. But I've got to try it at least once, so I wil know
how much difference it makes.

Your approach to try a 1" diameter for pulley #1 is logical (not
surprising), as I anticipated that if you didn't get an accurate reply,
you'd just go by the speed chart, (despite the mis-labeled wheel/motor
error) and come up with a properly-sized pulley.

Or at least one which errs on the side of caution. :-)

Dumore and users can't actually be sure that all grinders will run at the
same exact speeds anyway, since there are differences in AC voltage levels
at various locations.

Agreed. And of course most stones are some degree smaller than
when brand new -- since you are expected to true it with a diamond each
time you set it up. :-)

The manual for download is probably for the current version of the 44/8473
version, which utilizes the bent rod for mounting the belt guard. The older
models that I have don't have this feature (no hole in the base/spindle
casting), so I assume that the guard mounted by clamping around the machined
end of the spindle housing, similar to the way the wheel guard does. It
shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a guard and an improvised
holder/clamp.

As it turns out -- what I got came with the bent rod and the
guard. The two wing nuts which hold the guard in place turn out to be
bronze, not steel. :-)

Thanks Much,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well DoN, it seems that you're in good shape for getting started on all of
those tooling projects that you wanted to have a ground finish.. centers,
tapers, collets, adapters, etc (valve jobs for all the IC engines).

I'd be very interested to hear if the new pulley is flat or crowned, but
also interested in seeing pictures of your shiny projects.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2009-02-09, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

I think the pulley sizes have changed. The pulleys I have are made of
hard steel, and do not appear at all worn. Nor is the caliper going to
be off by 0.906-0.875= 0.031" without being noticed.

I inherited my DuMore from my grandfather, he probably got it in the
1940s, and who knows when it was made, although it appears to have been
made for the US military. The kit is not complete, contains lots of
non-DuMore stuff, and appears to have been obtained for a single
purpose. Probably bought used.

I also pointed out to DuMore the error in the headers of the
pulley table on page 8. The two pulley columns are marked "Pulley on
Spindle" and "pulley on Wheel" -- which to me sound like the same
pulley. The rightmost column should really be "Pulley on Motor". The
fellow at DuMore agreed with me, so I presume that pretty soon a new
version will be available for download. :-)

It will be interesting to see whether I receive a crowned steel
pulley or a flanged aluminum pulley. :-)

I bet it's steel. Aluminum would wear out pretty fast with a little
grinder dust on the belt.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-10, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

And -- in the process, he mentioned the diameter that the No. 1
pulley *should* be -- 7/8" (0.875").

I also have what appears to be (is closest to) a #4, diameter 2.184"

Assuming that the others are also made to some number of eighths
or sixteenths of an inch, that would probably be 35/16" or 2-3/16".
Yours appears to be a bit less worn than mine, though I've been told
(not by DuMore) that they vary somewhat with date of manufacture.

I think the pulley sizes have changed. The pulleys I have are made of
hard steel, and do not appear at all worn. Nor is the caliper going to
be off by 0.906-0.875= 0.031" without being noticed.

O.K. Someone in this thread (or another thread elsewhere)
mentioned at least one which was worn so badly that it only had the
edges of the crown remaining, and the rest seemed to be almost flat. :-)

I inherited my DuMore from my grandfather, he probably got it in the
1940s, and who knows when it was made, although it appears to have been
made for the US military.

Olive drab wrinkle varnish on a drop-front cabinet? My Series
44 is in a smooth black cabinet without the drop front, and the Series
11 is in a blue hammertone cabinet without the drop front. The Series
44 has a pair of uprights with a half-moon cutout to support the spindle
housing, and the Series 11 has a spot-welded housing to cover the T-nut
to hold it down in the box.

The kit is not complete, contains lots of
non-DuMore stuff, and appears to have been obtained for a single
purpose. Probably bought used.

O.K. Hmm ... did he do automotive engine work? Perhaps he was
using it to re-grind valve faces.

[ ... ]

It will be interesting to see whether I receive a crowned steel
pulley or a flanged aluminum pulley. :-)

I bet it's steel.

That is what I am expecting, at least.

Aluminum would wear out pretty fast with a little
grinder dust on the belt.

Depends on how much the belt slips, I think.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-10, Wild_Bill wrote:
Well DoN, it seems that you're in good shape for getting started on all of
those tooling projects that you wanted to have a ground finish.. centers,
tapers, collets, adapters, etc (valve jobs for all the IC engines).

Mostly waiting for things which really need that kind of finish
enough to make it worth while setting up the grinder and covering
everything else to protect it from the swarf. :-)

I'd be very interested to hear if the new pulley is flat or crowned, but
also interested in seeing pictures of your shiny projects.

I'll post when the new pulley arrives.

Actually -- the first place where I am likely to use it is in
making the collet chuck for 1/4" shank stones. And that will be ground
only on the ID to make a good register, so that won't photograph well.

Back when I was making Morse Taper 4-1/2 to Morse Taper 3 (and
to Morse Taper 2) adaptors would have been a nice time to use it -- but
I didn't have it then. Maybe I should make new ones with a case
hardening which I can then grind to a better fit.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2009-02-10, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Yes, and well beaten.

My Series
44 is in a smooth black cabinet without the drop front, and the Series
11 is in a blue hammertone cabinet without the drop front. The Series
44 has a pair of uprights with a half-moon cutout to support the spindle
housing, and the Series 11 has a spot-welded housing to cover the T-nut
to hold it down in the box.

The kit is not complete, contains lots of
non-DuMore stuff, and appears to have been obtained for a single
purpose. Probably bought used.

O.K. Hmm ... did he do automotive engine work? Perhaps he was
using it to re-grind valve faces.

Almost. His big specialty was fuel injection for gasoline engines,
largely for airplanes. He made prototype pumps from steel pistons
closely fitted into steel cylinders. He showed me one when I was a kid.
The piston was about 0.5" diameter, and the stroke was about 2". The
fit was tight enough to be almost airtight, and a single stray dust
particle caused a screech. I recall him saying that the clearance was
0.0001" or so. I think that this DuMore was in charge of grinding the
bores and pistons to final shape.

[ ... ]

It will be interesting to see whether I receive a crowned steel
pulley or a flanged aluminum pulley. :-)

I bet it's steel.

That is what I am expecting, at least.

Aluminum would wear out pretty fast with a little
grinder dust on the belt.

Depends on how much the belt slips, I think.

Not so much, I think, because the pulley diameters will be chosen so the
belt only rarely comes back to the same place. The effect is to frost
the surface and wear it away.

Joe Gwinn

Toolpost grinder Louis Ohland Metalworking 21 January 27th 08 12:48 PM
Dumore Grinder oldjag Metalworking 3 September 14th 05 06:40 AM
FA ending soon Dumore compound grinder or tool post grinder Richard W. Metalworking 0 September 2nd 05 01:23 AM
Pulley Diameters Dumore Model 44 Grinder Jack Hayes Metalworking 2 March 14th 05 03:20 AM
Dumore 44 Tool Post Grinder Jack Hayes Metalworking 1 March 12th 05 02:50 AM