Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum extrusion

I'm looking for something I've always heard called "rope pull". It is an
aluminum extrusion that when viewed from the end has a 1" flat piece with a
3/8" round tube, but a slit cut lengthwise in the tube. You use it to hang
awnings. You first pop rivet the extrusion to an awning frame. You sew a
piece of rope into a canvas hem. Then you slip the rope into the round
hole. You put the rope and canvas in the slit. You then pull the rope and
canvas through the extrusion, and this anchors the canvas on that side of
the awning. Anyone ever use it, or know where I can get some?

Wayne, you're so up on metal conversation, how about it?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:12:04 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I'm looking for something I've always heard called "rope pull". It is an
aluminum extrusion that when viewed from the end has a 1" flat piece with a
3/8" round tube, but a slit cut lengthwise in the tube. You use it to hang
awnings. You first pop rivet the extrusion to an awning frame. You sew a
piece of rope into a canvas hem. Then you slip the rope into the round
hole. You put the rope and canvas in the slit. You then pull the rope and
canvas through the extrusion, and this anchors the canvas on that side of
the awning. Anyone ever use it, or know where I can get some?

Wayne, you're so up on metal conversation, how about it?

Steve

Try a RV place, most RV's have a strip along the door side for an
awning.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve
This is common practice for modern sailboats, where a rope is sewed into the
canvas edge. This is called a bolt rope. The canvas is then pulled by a
halyard through an extruded opening in the spar. This works well because the
entire edge of the canvas is supported by the extruded opening in the spar.
Obviously, you don't want a complete mast or boom for a sailboat, but you
may find that foresail furling systems use tubes that the forestay feeds
through the center, but on the periphery of this tube is an extruded channel
that the leading edge of the foesail is pulled through. These extrusions
come in many sizes with a standard length of 6 meters and each piece is then
locked at the ends into another similar tube until the required length has
been met. These extrusions are done by major aluminum firms like Alcoa, but
these are proprietary designs that the extrusion houses are not allowed to
sell, as they belong to the company that designed them. So, if you need a
few lengths of the extrusions, you will have to buy them from the design and
extrusion die holder. Since you did not specify the size you will need, you
will have to contact those companies your self to find one that may wish to
meet your need.
Steve

"SteveB" wrote in message
I'm looking for something I've always heard called "rope pull". It is an
aluminum extrusion that when viewed from the end has a 1" flat piece with
a 3/8" round tube, but a slit cut lengthwise in the tube. You use it to
hang awnings. You first pop rivet the extrusion to an awning frame. You
sew a piece of rope into a canvas hem. Then you slip the rope into the
round hole. You put the rope and canvas in the slit. You then pull the
rope and canvas through the extrusion, and this anchors the canvas on that
side of the awning. Anyone ever use it, or know where I can get some?

Wayne, you're so up on metal conversation, how about it?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:
[...]

Slight clarification Steve, we don't use canvas any more. Haven't for a
century or more...

I don't mind the "bolt rope" on a foil for a roller furled head sail, but
I much prefer slugs to rope on the main!

Roller furled sails are simply rolled up rather that raised each time, thus
are not subjected to the same wear.

Dacron abrades rather easily - even on aluminum - and reacts chemically
with stainless steel (makes ugly black stains that don't want to come off).

We still have the extrusion - either attached to the mast, or extruded in as
part of the mast.

The extrusion SteveB asked about falls into the same situation. The awning
is installed - once - and roll up rather than taken off each time.

As for an extrusion for a roller awning, they are generally extruded are a
rather large diameter tube.
http://www.sunsetter.com/support/Mot...rade/index.asp

But it could me done with a piece of pipe and a stiffener swen into the end
of the awning. Then the awning could be riveted or screwed to the roller.

RIchard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Steve Lusardi wrote:
[...]

I am familiar with the awnings to which you refer, but that is not the type
I am involved with. What I am doing is building steel frames, and then
covering them with Raven Mills Sunbrella canvas. This canvas is made and
intended to be out in the weather 24/7 in all weather conditions and not
furled or unfurled. I have seen the roller awnings you refer to, and have
had several on motorhomes. However, for this application, the extrusion is
used for the top horizontal member, and then the bottom edges of the canvas
are attatched to the steel frame by various means. BTW, some use aluminum
for frames, but I don't have aluminum welding capabilities, and all my
experience is with steel square tube.

HTH

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote
I'm looking for something I've always heard called "rope pull". It is an
aluminum extrusion that when viewed from the end has a 1" flat piece with
a 3/8" round tube, but a slit cut lengthwise in the tube.

I think what you want is on page 1 of this catalog:

http://www.loxcreen.com/client_resou...%20catalog.pdf

On the last page of the catalog they list their locations.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

You use it to hang
awnings. You first pop rivet the extrusion to an awning frame. You sew a
piece of rope into a canvas hem. Then you slip the rope into the round
hole. You put the rope and canvas in the slit. You then pull the rope
and canvas through the extrusion, and this anchors the canvas on that side
of the awning. Anyone ever use it, or know where I can get some?

Wayne, you're so up on metal conversation, how about it?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Keith Marshall" wrote:

I think what you want is on page 1 of this catalog:

http://www.loxcreen.com/client_resou...%20catalog.pdf

On the last page of the catalog they list their locations.

How did you find that? I had an idea I knew what he was looking for but my google
searches failed?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How did you find that? I had an idea I knew what he was looking for but
my google
searches failed?

I googled "aluminum weatherstrip extrusion" and the company was the first
unpaid link. I clicked on the link for "Awning" and there it was.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Wes" wrote in message
news
"Keith Marshall" wrote:

I think what you want is on page 1 of this catalog:

http://www.loxcreen.com/client_resou...%20catalog.pdf

On the last page of the catalog they list their locations.

How did you find that? I had an idea I knew what he was looking for but
my google
searches failed?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
How did you find that? I had an idea I knew what he was looking for but
my google
searches failed?

I googled "aluminum weatherstrip extrusion" and the company was the first
unpaid link. I clicked on the link for "Awning" and there it was.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

I get various company names, but can't find that one. Which company was it?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks a lot. I had seen the one type, but had never seen the one inch
square with the round pull channel in it. I did look at some today that was
one inch square with the side cut out, and the fabric was held in place with
a rubber extrusion. This will help when I am ready to order this if I can't
find it locally. Thanks again.

Steve

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
I get various company names, but can't find that one. Which company was
it?

Loxcreen

http://www.loxcreen.com/client_resou...%20catalog.pdf

Page 1