Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jenix replacement scale for Anilam MiniWizard DRO?

I'm looking for the best economic bang for the buck and I have little
or no experience with DROs. My Bridgeport mill came with an old
Anilam MiniWizard with the red lighted digits and raised push buttons.
The mill only had the Y axis scale. I'd like to get an X axis scale
for my 42" table. I think the DRO works since the digits change when
the table moves, but I have no idea how to use the keypad other than
setting zero via the reset button, so I can't tell if other functions
work.

The guy on eBay who sells Jenix replacements says it needs a 36" scale
which gives 30" of travel. I measured my table travel and it's 37.5",
so that part sounds ok.

The price for a new Jenix scale is $272 with free shipping from CA.
That seems to beat the Anilam - Accurite new prices, BUT are there
used Anilam scales out there at a more reasonable price? Is there
another alternative that might be a better way to go?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

I'm looking for the best economic bang for the buck and I have little
or no experience with DROs. My Bridgeport mill came with an old
Anilam MiniWizard with the red lighted digits and raised push buttons.
The mill only had the Y axis scale. I'd like to get an X axis scale
for my 42" table. I think the DRO works since the digits change when
the table moves, but I have no idea how to use the keypad other than
setting zero via the reset button, so I can't tell if other functions
work.

The guy on eBay who sells Jenix replacements says it needs a 36" scale
which gives 30" of travel. I measured my table travel and it's 37.5",
so that part sounds ok.

Huh? If you need 37.5" of travel, and the "36 inch" unit provides only
30" of travel, things will not go well at the ends of the travel range.
You have alomst 8" of too much travel. A B-port is quite capable of
breaking a Jenix scale.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:55:19 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

[...]

You said that you have a BP mill with a 42" table. If that is correct
than you should have 30" of travel. If you have a 48" table then you
have 36" of travel. To get 37.5" of travel in a 48" table you must be
moving the table far inside the saddle with the handle removed maybe
which is not a good idea. These travels were set by BP and not me.
There are scales on Ebay that you can buy that are cheaper than what I
sell. I promise they are very used and will not come with a 5 year
warranty that I offer on my new scales.
Regards,
Tim Barnard
877-376-4373
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim,

I bought a "Uniq" mill DRO from you (I hope that my memory does not
fault me). The DRO seems to work fine.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-B...gital-Readout/

I tried to take pictures that would explain how to install it on a
Bridgeport.

Feel free to use my pictures, but refer to my webpage.

PTD dot NET wrote:

[...]

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:05:10 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

The guy on eBay who sells Jenix replacements says it needs a 36" scale
which gives 30" of travel. I measured my table travel and it's 37.5",
so that part sounds ok.

Huh? If you need 37.5" of travel, and the "36 inch" unit provides only
30" of travel, things will not go well at the ends of the travel range.
You have alomst 8" of too much travel. A B-port is quite capable of
breaking a Jenix scale.

Joe Gwinn

Whoops. Meandering fingers. That should have been 27.5" of travel
from my 42" table.

RLW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In article ,
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

The guy on eBay who sells Jenix replacements says it needs a 36" scale
which gives 30" of travel. I measured my table travel and it's 37.5",
so that part sounds ok.

Huh? If you need 37.5" of travel, and the "36 inch" unit provides only
30" of travel, things will not go well at the ends of the travel range.
You have alomst 8" of too much travel. A B-port is quite capable of
breaking a Jenix scale.

Joe Gwinn

Whoops. Meandering fingers. That should have been 27.5" of travel
from my 42" table.

Ah. That's better. Center it well, and you're golden.

Joe Gwinn