Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Why Does Your Devalued Home Have Such a High Tax Rate?

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:21:09 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

F. George McDuffee wrote:
===========
In many cases this is the result of the huge tax subsidies given
to selected companies, either through special abatements, special
taxing districts, "gentlemen's agreements, etc.

A contributing factor is the transfer of manufacturing operations
with their associated land, buildings, and equipment overseas.
They may still pay property and personal taxes, but not here.

It costs "X" amount to run a modern/acceptible local government,
with adequate schools [unfunded Federal mandates?], public safety
[police & fire], emergency medical [more unfunded Federal
mandates -- "free" E/R medical care] and social services
[overtaxed in many areas by illegal migration], and the
homeowners and small businesses must make up the shortfall due to
the special tax treatments for some and continual off-shoring of
manufacturing.

Excessive [and increasing] property taxes for homeowners and
small businesses are a symptom, and indeed a serious symptom, but
not *THE* problem. If the property taxes are limited, then the
income and sales taxes increase. If income and sales taxes are
frozen, then new and increased governmental "fees" are imposed
[see California for this gambit.]

This is a very serious long term problem for local/state and
representative government and will not be corrected by tinkering
around the edges, aka "rearranging the deck chairs on the
Titanic."

I thought we did something about this kind of thing - a long time ago?

Yes, involved tea, as I recall.
Time to revisit the concept.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

F. George McDuffee wrote:
===========
[...]

April 15th, 2009 - Tax Revolt Day!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
wrote:

F. George McDuffee wrote:
===========
[...]

Great. Another reason I can tell friends that they can't forget my birthday.
They already say, "Crap, it's tax day...and Ed's birthday." What kind of
presents do you think *I* get after that, huh? g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

April 15th, 2009 - Tax Revolt Day!

Great. Another reason I can tell friends that they can't forget my birthday.
They already say, "Crap, it's tax day...and Ed's birthday." What kind of
presents do you think *I* get after that, huh? g

--
Ed Huntress

That's actually worse that having your birthday on Christmas!!!