Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blacksmith Wedding i Edinburgh

Hi.... sorry to get in your way.
But I am looking for a blacksmith in or near Edinburgh, who would do a
un formal wedding in juli. My wife and me ARE married and it is just
for the sentimental and cultural reason I plan this. She dont know
anything.

Could any of you help me to find that old, traditional blacksmith in
Edinburgh or out in the country... I gladly accept a one hour drive
from Edinburgh.
I also pay 50 £ or so for the service.

Any contact information will help.

Thanks and cheers

Henrik Hjortshøj
Denmark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 05:15:08 -0800, hf wrote:

Hi.... sorry to get in your way.
But I am looking for a blacksmith in or near Edinburgh, who would do a
un formal wedding in juli. My wife and me ARE married and it is just for
the sentimental and cultural reason I plan this. She dont know anything.

Could any of you help me to find that old, traditional blacksmith in
Edinburgh or out in the country... I gladly accept a one hour drive from
Edinburgh.
I also pay 50 £ or so for the service.

Any contact information will help.

Thanks and cheers

Henrik Hjortshøj
Denmark

Henrik, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretna_Green

and you'll see Gretna Green is just north of the England/Scotland border
on the East Coast Mainline ie less than an hour south of Edinburgh.
You can still be legally married there after 21 days residency in
Scotland, BUT you both must be at least 16 years old.
Mike in BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:13:55 +0000, Michael Gray wrote:

[...]

Boy, in all my wife's Regency romance novels it only requires 21 seconds'
residency.

Progress - pah.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:02:39 -0600, Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

Not all that bad Tim,
Wikipedia says:
It was only in 1856 that Scottish law was changed to require 21 days
residence for marriage.
In 1753 Lord Hardwicke's Marriage Act was passed in England, which stated
that if both parties to a marriage were not at least 21 years old, then
consent to the marriage had to be given by the parents. This Act did not
apply in Scotland where it was possible for boys to get married at 14 and
girls at 12 years old with or without parental consent. Since 1929 both
parties have had to be at least 16 years old but there is still no
consent needed.
Hope this restores your faith in Regency fiction.
Mike in BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:13:55 GMT, Michael Gray
wrote:

[...]

The 21 day residency requirement no longer exists, or at least it
didn't in 1981 when I was married at Gretna.

For more information,
http://www.gretnaonline.net/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote: (clip) Could any of you help me to find that old,
traditional blacksmith in
Edinburgh or out in the country (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you need to buy your bride a leather wedding gown. And please send
pictures.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott writes:

Boy, in all my wife's Regency romance novels it only requires 21 seconds'
residency.

So - you read them all? Or did your wife underline the good parts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" writes:

I think you need to buy your bride a leather wedding gown. And please send
pictures.

No. A leather apron!!! We want front, back and side views.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:14:57 -0500, Maxwell Lol wrote:

Tim Wescott writes:

Boy, in all my wife's Regency romance novels it only requires 21
seconds' residency.

So - you read them all? Or did your wife underline the good parts?

They're good for when I'm too awake to sleep, and too tired to think.
After all, you already know the ending.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:43:15 -0800, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

wrote: (clip) Could any of you help me to find that old,
traditional blacksmith in
Edinburgh or out in the country (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you need to buy your bride a leather wedding gown. And please send
pictures.

And dont forget to wear a leather kilt. They are available on Ebay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks all so far. If I find a leather appron for my wife, it think
the wedding will be a little crowded with metalworkers, dont you
think? We are both in our +40's and I just want the ceremony,- not a
lega wedding, as we are merried 6 years ago.

Gretna Green is choice,- thanks.....

Great to have a gruope that helps you...

...... and I will take som pictures...... here a pic of me to start
with

http://rainbowpipes.com/Rainbow_Pipe...apeimage_4.jpg

cheers
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just checked out Gretna Green,- the cheapest wedding is £580 ..... I
am not a scotsman,- but is this not a lot of money?? I know my wife is
romantic, but not that romantic. I could buy a car for that....

They even offer a package for £3080....... wow. Why dont some of you
blacksmiths not just do weddings,- it is fun and easy....wow
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 01:45:33 -0800, the infamous Gunner
scrawled the following:

wrote:

wrote: (clip) Could any of you help me to find that old,
traditional blacksmith in
Edinburgh or out in the country (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you need to buy your bride a leather wedding gown. And please send
pictures.

And dont forget to wear a leather kilt. They are available on Ebay.

A leather Utilikilt, of course.

--
Acceptance is such an important commodity, some
have called it "the first law of personal growth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Just checked out Gretna Green,- the cheapest wedding is £580 ..... I
am not a scotsman,- but is this not a lot of money?? I know my wife is
romantic, but not that romantic. I could buy a car for that....

They even offer a package for £3080....... wow. Why dont some of you
blacksmiths not just do weddings,- it is fun and easy....wow

Blimey - that's cheap - my daughters wedding was getting on for £25K

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote: Just checked out Gretna Green,- the cheapest wedding
is £580 ..... I
am not a scotsman,- but is this not a lot of money?? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I could ship you my anvil and a stump to put it on for less than that, and
you could hold the wedding in your back yard. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 05:15:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi.... sorry to get in your way.
But I am looking for a blacksmith in or near Edinburgh, who would do a
un formal wedding in juli. My wife and me ARE married and it is just
for the sentimental and cultural reason I plan this. She dont know
anything.

Could any of you help me to find that old, traditional blacksmith in
Edinburgh or out in the country... I gladly accept a one hour drive
from Edinburgh.
I also pay 50 =A3 or so for the service.

---------

Wonderful old custom

see
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/tops...-as.4373887.jp
http://www.gretna-green-weddings.com/
http://www.hotfroguk.co.uk/Companies...acksmiths-Shop

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...tna/index.html

http://www.scotsmart.com/c/wedding.html

Let the group know how you make out, and post pictures if you
can.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi all

Yesterday I came home to my wife after a piping job, and the moment I
she saw me, she just laughed out loud... I didnt know what was going
on, but then she tolled me.

She had this idea of making a secret blacksmith wedding on our trip to
Scotland.... and she didnt want me to know. So se googled for
"blacksmith wedding Edinburgh" and hit nr 1 was someone looking for
exactly the same. So she started reading the thread. It all sounded
like just the thing she was looking for also. It was first when she
came to the end of the thread, that she read my name and just began
laughing.....

So as you can see this is not a secret anymore,- but never the less we
still are looking for a place to make this happen.....

She did not approve the dresscode put up by some of you,- but she
could shurely uderstand the idea....

We will let you know what we come up with, and also some pictures.

Cheers and thanks for now...

Yours Janne & Henrik

[OT] Gas person in Edinburgh Rod Hewitt UK diy 0 February 15th 05 10:14 PM
Lang's of Edinburgh rewson Woodturning 1 September 1st 04 12:06 AM
Edinburgh all trades neil leslie UK diy 0 April 13th 04 06:15 PM
Edinburgh builder recommendations tantara62 UK diy 0 April 11th 04 12:32 PM